Richland Co Sheriff talkgroups in Spartanburg

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I find it interesting that several Richland County Sheriff dispatch talkgroups (2550x) have been active on the Spartanburg Simulcast site for the last 12 hours or more. All encrypted, as one would expect.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Undercover ops or drug interdiction personnel on loan?

No, I don't think so. They would likely use an LE Common talkgroup in those scenarios. I hear LE Common talkgroups active in the upstate frequently.

I can't really think of a good reason these talkgroups would be active up here. I'd think that they would be restricted to certain sites. I frequently see Greenville County talkgroups denied access on the Spartanburg site, for example. It may be an oversight on the part of the system managers that's allowing this.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Brian, Specifically which RCSD channels? It is very rare that any channel besides the Statewide or Mutual Aid channel would be carried on a site that far away from Richland with out a special request. There have been chases before where the units had to switch to Statewide talkgroup because once they got deep into Fairfield, Kershaw, or Newberry counties the radios wouldn't affiliate with the sites outside of Richland.

kittrav

Premium Subscriber
No, I don't think so. They would likely use an LE Common talkgroup in those scenarios. I hear LE Common talkgroups active in the upstate frequently.

I can't really think of a good reason these talkgroups would be active up here. I'd think that they would be restricted to certain sites. I frequently see Greenville County talkgroups denied access on the Spartanburg site, for example. It may be an oversight on the part of the system managers that's allowing this.
There was an officer involved shooting incident in Florence County and then Sheriff Kenny Boone had a feud going with SLED so that, rather than SLED investigating, Boone requested the Richland County SO to come to Florence to investigate.

Something similar in the Spartanburg area?

Decades ago, it was a common practice in S.C. for newly hired police officers to be "seconded" for a short time to another agency for undercover work, such as drug buys, since the officers were not locally known.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Brian, Specifically which RCSD channels? It is very rare that any channel besides the Statewide or Mutual Aid channel would be carried on a site that far away from Richland with out a special request. There have been chases before where the units had to switch to Statewide talkgroup because once they got deep into Fairfield, Kershaw, or Newberry counties the radios wouldn't affiliate with the sites outside of Richland.

Specifically 25502 and 25504, maybe 25503 and some others? They were heard on the Spartanburg site for a day or more, so I don't think it was a random event like a chase.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
There was an officer involved shooting incident in Florence County and then Sheriff Kenny Boone had a feud going with SLED so that, rather than SLED investigating, Boone requested the Richland County SO to come to Florence to investigate.

Something similar in the Spartanburg area?

Decades ago, it was a common practice in S.C. for newly hired police officers to be "seconded" for a short time to another agency for undercover work, such as drug buys, since the officers were not locally known.

I don't know for sure, so I'm purely speculating on the reason why it was happening. It seems to me like there is little value for a Richland County official to have access to their home county's dispatch talkgroups while being 75+ miles away. If there was a joint operation of some sort taking place in Spartanburg, one would assume they would use a talkgroup assigned to Spartanburg County. Or even more likely, one of the mutual aid/interop channels that are programmed into all radios on Palmetto 800. And I hear those active in the Upstate on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.