Richmond AREA Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

spivey88

Premium Subscriber
im looking for someone in the richmond area that might be able to help me out with this pro-197 i have. Im able to get my local stuff like chesterfield pd to work but im looking to get the state police and i know they are on STARS and i loaded that in the scanner but nothing comes up.

any help would be great... thanks

shumadine

Hey Spivey88, are you using any programming software? If you are using Starrsoft's win500 program, I can email you a file that I've used that has STARS programmed in there. That's how someone got me started several years ago on it. If so, please reply with your email address and I'll send it over.

spivey88

Premium Subscriber
Hey Spivey88, are you using any programming software? If you are using Starrsoft's win500 program, I can email you a file that I've used that has STARS programmed in there. That's how someone got me started several years ago on it. If so, please reply with your email address and I'll send it over.

thats would be awesome, yes thats what im using

spivey88@gmail.com

spivey88

Premium Subscriber
still getting the same thing even with that file you sent me, some stuff somes in by its just static

spivey88

Premium Subscriber
Also im just using the stock antenna that came with it. Will i need to upgrade to a better antenna to get the State Police on STARS?

spivey88

Premium Subscriber
im right beside 95 at willis rd exit 64.... just cant get it to work, i wish i knew someone around here that could program it. im sure its not hard but im trying to understand what to add and what not to add

mikev

STARS is very tricky to program in right. The key to quickly making it work is to program control channels and alternates (the red and blue frequencies) for only the sites near you (using the map of sites is a major help!). If your scanner supports multiple sites and roaming, then it will automatically switch between them if enabled. Otherwise it will find the first one that it gets a reliable signal from, and stay there as long as the signal quality is good. The Chesterfield and Petersburg sites would probably be good to start with, to keep it simple.

After that, it's a matter of picking Talkgroups that will likely be on those sites. For example, don't program in a Fairfax district TG, since there isn't likely to be anyone in the Richmond area on a Fairfax district TG (not that it can't be done, it's just not very likely).

Last edited:

KF4ZTO

Agreed STARS takes some practice to get used to. Antennas can be an issue, I can hear it 100% with the stock RadioShack Pro-96 antenna in one part of my house, but its completely silent in other parts of my house (have to use an external antenna).

I would try scanning it in open mode for a while to get used to what TGs are used. Richmond is a great site to listen to, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.