Richmond, CA police/tactical helicopter frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel_reetz

Premium Subscriber
I have little experience monitoring helicopters, but on several occasions the Richmond PD (I think) helicopter has been hovering over/near my workplace.

Anyone know what freq they're using, or what range to search? I've used the RadioReference database to program my 396XT, but the helicopter does not seem to be in there.

I'm also interested in other Bay Area helicopter freqs.

LowBat

Premium Subscriber
Law enforcement helicopters are usually equipped with multiple radios to communicate with just about any ground unit they find themselves flying over. They probably have a few regular frequncies they routinely use. One being an avaition frequency for talking with an air traffic control person, and another being the primary channel of the agency they work for. You can try setting up your scanner to monitor the most likely frequencies. You can usually hear the rotor in the background when an air unit come up on a channel.

daniel_reetz

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, LowBat. I'll listen more carefully on the primaries and search the aviation band. Had been listening for the rotor in the background and heard nothing.

kma371

QRT
I have little experience monitoring helicopters, but on several occasions the Richmond PD (I think) helicopter has been hovering over/near my workplace.

Anyone know what freq they're using, or what range to search? I've used the RadioReference database to program my 396XT, but the helicopter does not seem to be in there.

I'm also interested in other Bay Area helicopter freqs.

The "Richmond" helicopter is actually Contra Costa County Sheriff's Helicopter (STARR1 or STARR2) and Richmond uses it on a contract basis. As someone else said, they have radios to communicate with just about any agency they want. They just use the standard aero freqs as regular aircraft in the area use.

For Richmond area, they will probably use 120.9 for air traffic control stuff. It's nothing too exiciting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.