Richmond/Chesterfield/Henrico

Status
Not open for further replies.

waltersjt

Hi all. I'm having trouble with my PRO-106. I have the Chesterfield channels programmed into my scanner that I use to listen to Chesterfield and Colonial Heights, since they use the same frequencies, and I noticed today that after a few hours I hadn't heard a single radio transmission. I know rebanding is beginning to take place and I didn't know if I need to reprogram or update my firmware or if I'm just out of luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

waltersjt

That fixed the problem for a short while this morning. It seems to have gone silent once again.

waltersjt

Nevermind. Must have been something going on on their side. They're coming in loud and clear now.

kc4jgc

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

FYI it appears the Richmond site has now completed rebanding. Receiving control freq at 853.95 now. The DB still has 868.95 as the control channel.

lanbergld

My scanner can't be upgraded, however it's still easy to listen. I just scan between 851 and 854 MHz. All the transmissions are there, just not 'trunk trackable'.

Larry

Fallsj

Premium Subscriber
Need help too

Hi all. I'm having trouble with my PRO-106. I have the Chesterfield channels programmed into my scanner that I use to listen to Chesterfield and Colonial Heights, since they use the same frequencies, and I noticed today that after a few hours I hadn't heard a single radio transmission. I know rebanding is beginning to take place and I didn't know if I need to reprogram or update my firmware or if I'm just out of luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Walterjt, that fix worked for mine also. Would that have any affect on the Rich PD? I seem to have lost that as well as the VSP in the Richmond area? It seems that the only VSP I can pickup now on my Pro106 is Ches. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

kc4jgc

....... Would that have any affect on the Rich PD? I seem to have lost that as well as the VSP in the Richmond area? It seems that the only VSP I can pickup now on my Pro106 is Ches. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There has been no changes on STARS in the area that I know. I had no issues /w STARS there.

As far as Richmond is concerned, that site did reband as recently as last week (look at my post above). I was at the 1500 block of West Broad on 2/5-2/6 when I found the RIC CC on 853.95. I've changed all my CC programming -15 MHz.

Fallsj

Premium Subscriber
Thanks kc4jgc! I just happen to notice I wasn't getting any Rich PD while I was trying to figure out what happen with Ches/ColHgts. Just kinda knocking them down one by one. I will change the CC and see what I can get on Rich PD now. I luv this site!!

Fallsj

Premium Subscriber
Me again

There has been no changes on STARS in the area that I know. I had no issues /w STARS there.

As far as Richmond is concerned, that site did reband as recently as last week (look at my post above). I was at the 1500 block of West Broad on 2/5-2/6 when I found the RIC CC on 853.95. I've changed all my CC programming -15 MHz.

Ok kc4jgc, im my own worst enemy!! When I went and looked at my Ch#4 where the Rich PD is located, I went in to change the control Freq and noticed there were like 22 diff freq. I did find the old Freq in the list and replaced it with the 853.9500 but it did not change anything. I then (trying to figure out myself) went to the database this site has listed and found the Rich codes. I keyed them in one by one replacing the existing freq and still nothing but crickets... Any idea what may be the prob? Its a Pro106 and I believe these are the V Scan. Im kinda new to this site and trying to learn and have been able to fix most of my problems just researching the info here.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fallsj

Premium Subscriber
Richmond / Henrico / Chesterfield Trunking System, Richmond, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

On the Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield database page, you'll notice that there are only 10 red or blue control channel frequencies. That should be plenty for what you need. I don't know why you have 22 frequencies programmed. Keep only those 10, double check their accuracy, and let us know.

BOOM! That fixed it. All the RPDs are coming in loud and clear now. Got Henrico fixed as well.
Got another question if your up for it...

My VSP (STARS) still has me a little confused. I do get traffic from Ches Suffolk and soooometimes Rich. When I look at the Freq in the scanner, it list 32 of them programmed in.
Starting at 151.1425 thru 159.3675 and I am getting traffic. When I look at the RR Database for VSP, it only list 13 Freq for Divisions and another 7 for statewide non of which are even close to what mine has programmed in. How is that?? What am I missing here and don't understand??

shumadine

This thread from a few years ago may shed some light on your question:

http://forums.radioreference.com/vi...3712-virginia-state-police-richmond-area.html

Your location says Central Virginia--that's a pretty big area so I don't know exactly where you are. Here near the University of Richmond, I can hear plenty by adding in the red and blue control channel frequencies from the STARS database from the "Richmond" and "Glen Allen" towers. It should only be a handful of frequencies and not any more than that. Make sure you've entered in all the talkgroups that you wish to hear; not trying to repeat the obvious, but we need to have the fundamentals straight. Let us know what changes you hear.

kc4jgc

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Not being home, I can't picture what you're seeing. I'm on the road; hopefully someone else can help. In the meantime, if you can't get it straight by Sunday, I may be able to help you if you have win500. I can send you my central VA file. Drop me a pm if you're interested.

John

Premium Subscriber
When you are looking at the VSP in the database I think you are looking at the old Virginia State Police radio system. It had 2 frequencies per division and some statewide channels. The VSP have completely (well almost) abandoned that system and moved to the new STARS or Statewide Agencies Radio System. If you look at the top of the VSP database page it refers you to the database entry for STARS.

STARS is kind of like the Henrico/Cherterfield system in that you only program in the control channels (blue and red in the database) and then program in the Talkgroups you want to listen to instead of individual frequencies for each group of users. It sounds like the control channel frequencies are what are programmed in your scanner.

John

BOOM! That fixed it. All the RPDs are coming in loud and clear now. Got Henrico fixed as well.
Got another question if your up for it...

My VSP (STARS) still has me a little confused. I do get traffic from Ches Suffolk and soooometimes Rich. When I look at the Freq in the scanner, it list 32 of them programmed in.
Starting at 151.1425 thru 159.3675 and I am getting traffic. When I look at the RR Database for VSP, it only list 13 Freq for Divisions and another 7 for statewide non of which are even close to what mine has programmed in. How is that?? What am I missing here and don't understand??

Fallsj

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm, I think we on to something! OK, Im looking at the STARS page and I see all the different counties with 1 or 2 of the Red and Blue CC listed. So can I just go down the list and say... pick out just the ones in my area like Chesterfield, Petersburg and Richmond and just key both the Control and Alt freq in place of whats currently in my Pro106 and then im good. Or do I need to add talkgroups as well, I see info for those further down the page and I believe that will test my outer edges!!

I really appreciate you guys helping me out and kc4jgc it looks like you picked a good time to leave the area!! Im hoping to get my VSP issue fixed so I can move up to snow plows and maybe trains in the future.

shumadine

yes, you need to program "local" control channels (both red and blue freqencies) and then whatever talk groups you want. In greater Richmond, at least enter the State Police Richmond 1 and Richmond 2 talkgroups and all the TAC talkgroups. And the Dept. of Emergency Management talkgroups may be busy the next two days also.

Fallsj

Premium Subscriber
First off, for a carolinatoughguy u sure have some patience!
I have the Red and Blue Cont Freq covered, got that!
I scroll on down the database page and find the "Virginia State Police Talkgroups" with the different columns Ex: DEC HEX Alpha Tag Desc Tag aaaahhhh wheres the Frequecy numbers??
Im thinking I have more reading to do tonight... I was assuming it would just be another list of digits to key in and this stuff is starting to look like some Algebraic calculation for a lunar orbitor or something!

I know I see some of this info on the led screen when there is traffic. Im just not sure I have been to that part of the scanner to actually look at the info that's in there. I have printed the "Easier to Read Manual" that I saw on another members post and that was a big help. Im gonna go back and read the "Talkgroups" part of it again to see if I can better understand this before I start the monkeying around again.

shumadine

The STARS talk groups are under the "DEC" column. You need to re-read that manual and understand the differences in Frequencies (which it sounds like you already understood) and Talkgroups (which let you choose which "users" on a particular system you want to hear) I would strongly recommend you get win500 software to program your scanner if you haven't already. It's a lot easier to see it all laid out on a computer screen than on the scanner itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.