Richmond / Henrico / Chesterfield - Talkgroups across sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

markrob7000

N4MDR
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if all site talk groups are broadcast across all sites or do they only broadcast if a subscriber radio is affiliated with the site?

For example: If I'm monitoring the Henrico site control channel, will I be able to hear Chesterfield Fire talk groups all the time or only if a Chesterfield subscriber radio is affiliated with the Henrico site?

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if all site talk groups are broadcast across all sites or do they only broadcast if a subscriber radio is affiliated with the site?

For example: If I'm monitoring the Henrico site control channel, will I be able to hear Chesterfield Fire talk groups all the time or only if a Chesterfield subscriber radio is affiliated with the Henrico site?
I believe that radios are all tied in together across chesterfield/henrico/Richmond. That is my understanding anyway. I will check with my friend in the radio shop in the morning to confirm.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
I have checked with my friend in the radio shop and he is unfortunately unable to confirm. Maybe you can run a program like unitrunker to find your answer.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber

In general, that's how multi-site trunked systems work. While it is possible to designate that a certain talk group be 'broadcast' on all sites, for the most part the only time a TG will be heard on a site is if at least one radio programmed with that TG is affiliated with that site. To do otherwise would be a huge waste of system resources.

W4UVV

-------------
I cannot answer your question for sure and don't want to guess, but in more of general monitoring experiences of the three trs, this might be of interest. This was my experience with the tri-trs multi-shared frequency's resources. Other monitors will have other experiences:

Years ago when the "equal" trs frequency load sharing between Richmond City, Henrico Co.& Chesterfield Co. trs resources were touted as to its' benefits and after I did some occasional listening over time on all three trs, I subsequently concluded differently.

I monitored mostly Chesterfield Co. which had frequent comms as did the other two trs. The first day I monitored Chesterfield Co. I heard a fire call dispatch on Broad St. on one of Chesterfield's trs frequencies. It was not unusual to hear a Richmond Fire or EMS comm between Chesterfield Co. comms. I decided to make note of it. I occasionally monitored the other two trs to determine who was using whose trs frequencies.

I soon noticed that Chesterfield Co.'s frequencies definitely were being used by Richmond City with frequent activity and the same was happening each time in subsequent years I monitored Chesterfield Co. But I never heard any Chesterfield Co. comms on Henrico Co. or Richmond City frequencies. I never heard any Chesterfield Co. comms on Henrico Co. or Richmond City trs frequencies.

Maybe things are different now. It was like so many other plans. They all work on paper as envisioned but often not in practice.

John:)
W4UVV

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
I ran into this trying to lock out known TG's in order to find new ones. What I found was that Fire/EMS dispatch & response tacs, and police dispatch were in all zones. The exception to this was Colonial Heights, which was generally just on the Chesterfield zone. But other users were pretty much on their own local zone unless they wandered out. This included police admin and surveillance, fire admin, and all the dog catchers, dump trucks, etc. Am pretty sure that the various 'regionwides' cross the system but wasn't paying that much attention.

Here's how I know: I was using a PRO-96 and monitoring the zones as separate systems. After locking out all the busy TG's in Henrico, for example, I starting getting all that other stuff from the other two zones. What I found was that no matter what zone I was monitoring separately, I had include (and lock out) all police/fire/ems dispatch and fire/ems response tacs systemwide--except for Colonial Heights.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

W4UVV

I ran into this trying to lock out known TG's in order to find new ones. What I found was that Fire/EMS dispatch & response tacs, and police dispatch were in all zones. The exception to this was Colonial Heights, which was generally just on the Chesterfield zone. But other users were pretty much on their own local zone unless they wandered out. This included police admin and surveillance, fire admin, and all the dog catchers, dump trucks, etc. Am pretty sure that the various 'regionwides' cross the system but wasn't paying that much attention.

Here's how I know: I was using a PRO-96 and monitoring the zones as separate systems. After locking out all the busy TG's in Henrico, for example, I starting getting all that other stuff from the other two zones. What I found was that no matter what zone I was monitoring separately, I had include (and lock out) all police/fire/ems dispatch and fire/ems response tacs systemwide--except for Colonial Heights.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

I thought the agreement was supposed to "equal smeakful" for all three trs. It looks like Richmond City should pay a user's fee to Chesterfield Co. since they used it so often. However, don't look for Chesterfield Co. TGs on Richmond City trs. It doesn't seem to work that way.

John:)
W4UVV

N4RXP

Premium Subscriber
There is not consensus on this topic. My experience is that "it depends".
Sometimes you hear across jurisdictions and sometimes not.
A radio will associate with the best signal no matter the jurisdiction. (H/C/R).
As long as one unit is associated, it will be broadcast on the tower it is associates with, and all other towers that have a unit on the same talk group associated. Often the best signal is not on a home jurisdiction tower, thus cross jurisdiction broadcasts

Status
Not open for further replies.