Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield to encrypt July 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
My point was only that state funds did not/will not support any portion of the capitol region radio system - this has been funded entirely at the local level, with taxpayer monies of course.

From a 2013 Richmond Times Dispatch article: "Richmond plans to spend about $30 million, Henrico up to $60 million and Chesterfield County almost $37 million, according to the localities’ capital budget proposals for the next five years. The estimates are preliminary, and the final costs could rise as the replacement progresses."

mpwilson

State Funds VS Local Funds

Not to get into a "funds" issue.

But, the state gives back to the localities otherwise, when the state budget is running late on being approved, the states and agencies are complaining because they can't firm up their budgets until they know how much the state is giving back to them for LAW ENFORCEMENT, and other entities.

I know a little about that, having been instrumental at a state agency for some of that mess.....and for that I apologize!!!!!! heh heh

Anyhow, we all get the point I guess.

As I like to say,

The government, at all levels, doesn't have any money except the money they get from us, the taxpayers. They aren't spending their money, they are spending OUR money. I just like to think I know how much they're spending on what...….

Now I'm off topic.

Back On....

shumadine

I'm a little confused. I thought I would still hear Henrico/Richmond police transmissions but would have expected them to be garbled like what you usually hear with encryption. But I'm not hearing any police traffic whatsoever. It's like total silence on those channels. Why is that?

fredva

Feed Provider
I'm a little confused. I thought I would still hear Henrico/Richmond police transmissions but would have expected them to be garbled like what you usually hear with encryption. But I'm not hearing any police traffic whatsoever. It's like total silence on those channels. Why is that?

It depends on which scanner you are using. Unidens skip over encrypted transmissions. But if you aren't using a Uniden, I'm not sure what is going on.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
I was going to ask the same. Total silence on my PSR-500 on Police channels for all three jurisdictions. It wasn't a talkgroup change as well was it?

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
This is the first time since I’ve been monitoring public safety comms (going back to the early 1970s) that any jurisdiction I’ve lived in has encrypted. I’ve lived in New York City, Massachusetts and now Henrico.

I was thinking of buying the Whistler TRX-1, but why bother? I’ll stick with the venerable Uniden 396-T and be glad I can still monitor EMS and FD!

markrob7000

N4MDR
Premium Subscriber
Chesterfield Fire & EMS confirmed on their Facebook page that the Fire & EMS channels will be encrypted. They have added a call log to the county website similar to the police call log. They didn't provide a date for when the encryption will start.

Update: They just posted an update saying that their original statement was incorrect and they will not be encrypting Fire & EMS. I would delete this post, but I can't find a way to delete it. Sorry for the confusion.

KF4ZTO

If that's the case, why the complete silence on all encrypted talkgroups now?

I've noticed this as well on my Pro-96. A real shame that they didn't just encrypt the talkaround channels in the 34xxx TG range. Folks who have listened to Richmond Police over the past several years know some *very* interesting things have been heard on those talkgroups. Are the dispatchers still in the clear on RPD channels 1-4 and RPD 5/Citywide? The mobiles seem to be 100% encrypted.

I'll scan the Richmond site and hear RAA, RFD, VCU PD and Capitol PD in the clear no problem. If I do a manual limit search for 851.0125 to 859.9875 MHz I'll hear tons of encrypted traffic on the same frequencies that the Richmond site has always used.

A sign of things to come. Just wait until they upgrade to Phase II P25

bob-k

this is what I heard!

I'm very concerned about the lack of accountability this change will bring. Are there no actions that can be taken by those of us that believe encryption brings more harm than good? Are there legal options to pursue? What about contacting local representatives?[/QUOTE

Has anyone ever heard of a case that a response heard over scanner became part of a court case or the fact that an address created a big issue by the listening public?

hyllus100

I was wondering about contacting the county Board of Supervisors. I think there's a strong case to be made for un-encrypted public safety radio traffic.

Technoguy58

I'm very concerned about the lack of accountability this change will bring. Are there no actions that can be taken by those of us that believe encryption brings more harm than good? Are there legal options to pursue? What about contacting local representatives?

The only thing your elected officials understand is the thought that they might get elected out of office.

Technoguy58

Now be honest; you know the the average citizen does NOT make the connection between taxes and the way your public servants spend money like it grows on trees. The public servant just sticks his hand out and says "Gimme". It never ceases to amaze me how I have to live with a budget for my income but "gumment" does not have to.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Now be honest; you know the the average citizen does NOT make the connection between taxes and the way your public servants spend money like it grows on trees. The public servant just sticks his hand out and says "Gimme". It never ceases to amaze me how I have to live with a budget for my income but "gumment" does not have to.

As one of those "gumment" types, I know first-hand how much I'm expected to stay within my budget. The citizens in my locality are very active in local government, especially when it come to the approval of new positions and the funding of proposed Capital Improvement Projects (CIP). It sounds like unfortunately that's not the case in your area.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I usually hate to get into these encryption debates. I frankly hate encryption on anything but sensitive comms such as SWAT.
I used to rail about the whole thing but not anymore.

All the talk on here and no one thinks of a several important issues besides the cell phone stuff we're not allowed to comment upon here.

First you have domestic terrorist groups like BLM who HAVE used monitored comms to further their rioting. St. Louis had to snap encrypt some channels during their problems because of that and quickly switched their entire system to encrypted again because of those animals running wild listening on cell phones.

The other problem is groups related like "CopWatch" who follow police calls, show up at the scene and routinely cause trouble for officers often creating or escalating whatever is going on. Check Youtube for them. Its appalling.

I saw one with CHP and those morons and it just blew my mind.

A couple of years ago I scoffed at the whole "Officer Safety" justification used by those clamoring to encrypt.

Today sadly I have to agree that officer safety is compromised by not encrypting. I don't like its come to this but sadly I'd rather have an alive cop than me being able to listen.

Add in the current anti-cop sentiments that seem to abound everywhere and yeah its a big problem.

None of the laws in place about interfering, coming to the scene, relaying traffic to someone not party to actually hearing it etc. are enforced any longer. If they were that would end scanners on cell phones for instance.

So yeah it sucks for us but its sadly become needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.