Richmond metro scanning with BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4GNE

Uniden BCD436HP no receive on digital

Hello, My first post here so if the question has been answered i apologize as ive searched tons of post and havent found an answer.
I just purchased a the bcd436hp and set it up via my zip code. I have the system in that i want to listen to, it scans but i hear no digital traffic only analogue. What do i not have set up correctly?

Thanks, George/W4GNE

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Make sure you have the appropriate "Service Types" enabled and that no systems, sites, departments, or channels are avoided.

Make sure you have the current firmware and database loaded. Can't say more without knowing the system and location.

W4GNE

BCD436HP

First of all Thank you for the reply!
I have nothing avoided and I have all the service types checked yes.. Fire EMS, Law, etc and things I don't want to hear like schools, public works set to no.
In Richmond VA I have 4 localities on the same system, I have the system set, it scans the 4 localities, it scans ID's but I hear zilch

George/W4GNE

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
What specific system are you trying to monitor? Can you post a link to the page in the Radioreference database that has this system? We can be of more help if we can look at the system details.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I don't see anything with that system that puts up a red flag, but I'm not familiar with mixed analog/digital systems either. It could be there is a setting coming in from the database that is restricting the radio to receive analog only. Have you used the Sentinel software? If not I would download that (it's free) from Uniden, and spend some time learning to use it. Use Sentinel to add your system to a Favorites List, and then you can 'look under the hood' a little better, maybe find the problem setting, then upload it to your radio. If it does't work, you can try changing settings again and re-upload to the radio.
I would also suggest posting your question in the Virginia forum as there may be someone who is familiar with that system that can help you out. It could be the users that were digital have moved on to a new system, and only a few analog users remain. Local knowledge is best in cases like this.

Good luck.

Post back what you find out.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's supposed to be automatic if you download it via software, but it's worth checking - this system is marked as Rebanded, which means that you need a custom table to receive it correctly. I'm not sure where you would go to enter it, but you can find the necessary values in the 'How will my scanner work after rebanding' section of...

Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki

Just click on section 6.1 in the table of contents and you will be taken there.

Mike

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
It's supposed to be automatic if you download it via software, but it's worth checking - this system is marked as Rebanded, which means that you need a custom table to receive it correctly. I'm not sure where you would go to enter it, but you can find the necessary values in the 'How will my scanner work after rebanding' section of...

Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki

Just click on section 6.1 in the table of contents and you will be taken there.

Mike

Re-banded systems pose no problem for the BCD436HP.

W4GNE

Hello, I posted this in the main section for the uniden BCD436HP and was promoted to post here.
My question is: I just bought the Bcd436Hp and did the zip code programming then found the systems I want to listen to (Richmond/Chesterfield/Henrico) and put it in my favorites. The problem I have is that it doesn't receive anything. Looks like it's scanning the 3 localities and also says scanning ID's. The only traffic I hear so far is conventional. I had a Pro96 programmed with this system and had no issues receiving these systems at all
Any help at all is much appreciated! I feel like there is some setting not right, something simple but I can't figure it out.

Thanks! George/W4GNE

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
No Digital

Hello, My first post here so if the question has been answered i apologize as ive searched tons of post and havent found an answer.
I just purchased a the bcd436hp and set it up via my zip code. I have the system in that i want to listen to, it scans but i hear no digital traffic only analogue. What do i not have set up correctly?

Thanks, George/W4GNE

Hi George. Have you purchased the DMR update ? If not, I believe you will need to do that in order to receive Digital transmissions.

OceanNora

Not to throw a wrench into the works, he wouldn't need the upgrade since the digital side would be P25 rather than DMR, so that wouldn't make a difference, Just trying to save OP some cash unless he specifically wants to listen to other systems that are DMR.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
One thing you might check from what you said is that you have ID Scan set vs search. If you don't have the correct TGs entered nothing will come through on the scanner.

Check you have the TGs you want entered or switch to search. Also check location control. If you stay in the area turning it off might be best or radio will do so automatically if you don't have it set correctly.

Make sure as others said you have latest firmware and database. Make sure the SQK and all related are turned on. Can't tell you the times I put something in and was pulling my hair out because I forgot to activate the bloody things so wasn't receiving anything.

Also use a better antenna than comes with the radio. That is an 800 system I believe so get a Radio Shack 800 antenna and that will improve reception dramatically plus it works great on other bands too.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Hi George. Have you purchased the DMR update ? If not, I believe you will need to do that in order to receive Digital transmissions.

The system is digital, but not DMR. The DMR upgrade is not required to monitor the Richmond Regional system.

n8vaf4

Hey George, had the same issues with the same system also (had it <2 weeks).

Here is what fixed it...
The problem is that your system doesn't have digital or analog turned on by default in your favorites folder. Thought my system was wacked til turned it on and presto, things started working.

Ghstwolf62 outlined it, so spelling it out below since it takes hours to learn this system and become familiar with it.

Menu, Manage Favorites, Drill into "What ever you saved it as", Review/edit system, Select the name of the bank your scanning, edit system options, set audio AGC, turn on "analog" + "digital" (may see both or only one depending on the talkgroup) and boom it works.

No idea why they turned it off by default, but this will bring it to life.

Highly recommend that you create a custom favorites and wipe out all the excess garbage that you don't want to hear.

Good luck, n8

Last edited:

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I second on making a custom favorites list. Zip code entry is great and all, but it imports a lot of unnecessary stuff.

W4GNE

Hey George, had the same issues with the same system also (had it <2 weeks).

Here is what fixed it...
The problem is that your system doesn't have digital or analog turned on by default in your favorites folder. Thought my system was wacked til turned it on and presto, things started working.

Ghstwolf62 outlined it, so spelling it out below since it takes hours to learn this system and become familiar with it.

Menu, Manage Favorites, Drill into "What ever you saved it as", Review/edit system, Select the name of the bank your scanning, edit system options, set audio AGC, turn on "analog" + "digital" (may see both or only one depending on the talkgroup) and boom it works.

No idea why they turned it off by default, but this will bring it to life.

Highly recommend that you create a custom favorites and wipe out all the excess garbage that you don't want to hear.

Good luck, n8

Thanks everyone for the assistance!
I had a couple of issues, the AGC was set to analogue as well as the end code setting. And I had to program the re-banded freqs in, I thought the re-banded freqs would have already been in the scanner database. I just programmed them in manually via the updated info here at RR
Again... THANKS to everyone that responded!

George/W4GNE

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Glad you got it working. Also a tip set your P25 to manual 7 instead of auto 8. The Auto 8 setting never worked on anything for me but the M7 works great on a number of systems. Including STARS, Roanoke, and WVSIRN.

W4GNE

Glad you got it working. Also a tip set your P25 to manual 7 instead of auto 8. The Auto 8 setting never worked on anything for me but the M7 works great on a number of systems. Including STARS, Roanoke, and WVSIRN.

Thanks! In manual 7
I have a couple more systems i have to figure out in the area, Hopewell and Fort Lee, Im thinking they re-banded but theres no updated info

Thanks!
George/W4GNE

W4UVV

Rebanding never was applicable

Thanks! In manual 7
I have a couple more systems i have to figure out in the area, Hopewell and Fort Lee, Im thinking they re-banded but theres no updated info

Thanks!
George/W4GNE
-----------------------

FYI rebanding never was applicable to either the Ft. Lee or Hopewell trs. Both are P25 Standard. If interested do a RR search for "w4uvv" and read my and other poster's comments in past appropriate threads relating to the two trs.

John
W4UVV

W4GNE

-----------------------

FYI rebanding never was applicable to either the Ft. Lee or Hopewell trs. Both are P25 Standard. If interested do a RR search for "w4uvv" and read my and other poster's comments in past appropriate threads relating to the two trs.

John
W4UVV

Thanks for the info John... I did some searching around after I made my post last night and ran into a few of those discussions.

I think Ive talked to you on the air before? maybe 6 or 2m. The callsign looked very familiar. I believe we have a mutual acquaintance KD4BPZ

Thanks again for the info! This site is a huge resource!

George/W4GNE

Status
Not open for further replies.