Richmond, VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlynaugh

Hello guys,

I used to live in Columbus, OH and picked up a Bearcat 3000XLT years ago (mid 90's) to monitor military aviation and I have recently relocated to Richmond, VA and would like to pick up the hobby again and was wondering if anyone could help. I was playing around yesterday and heard comms on 143.6 and it was clearly military getting ready for a training mission, but that was the only comms that I found. I know about the Farmville MOA and I am guessing they were over there, but I couldn't locate any other freqs and my trail went cold. I know when I was in Columbus all of the good action took place on 301.6 at Brushcreek MOA. Can anyone give me some guidance here for Richmond? Thanks guys! I'll make sure I let you know what I hear.

Mike

shumadine

Welcome to Richmond.

I would repost this request in the Virginia forum. I would help myself, but haven't gotten around to learning the Military side of things yet.

There are some very knowledgeable folks that will be sure to chime in and help. It is a very helpful forum.

mlynaugh

I was going to, but I saw they are mainly non-military posts over there....I thought I might do better here. I'll give it a shot though, thanks!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
mly jump over to the Maryland forum - there's a sticky thread there for milcom. There are a couple of Virginia folks there too - not necessarily from the Richmond area (I think - I'm not that familiar with the area), but it should be a step in the right direction.

Even though it seems the thread is only for Maryland milcom, it has actually gotten a bit wider than that, with folks from NJ, Mass and Virginia checking in from time to time. There are quite a few well informed folks on that thread, and I have no doubt they can help.

Of course, a duckie is not the best antenna for milcom, unless you're close by. Getting a discone or similar (plus, given the age of the scanner, likely it will need some additional filtering) will be a big help

73 Mike

mlynaugh

Thanks guys! Actually I do have a discone antenna that I picked up years ago. It works great with the old Bearcat. Thanks for your help!

Mike

trainman111

I live in Richmond (Chesterfield County) actually. Ask whatever questions you may have. I'll be more than happy to help! :)

P.S. - I'm an avid milair listener. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.