Rich's radio room for 2023

N9JIG

Sheriff
OK, Scott redid his radio room, so I have to update mine. I obtained a Behringer 1602 mixer to replace the much larger X2222 (Thanks Jim!) and moved things around a bit to accommodate it in the rack.

I could have gone two ways with this: One was to keep the 3u cabinet I have been using since October (see The (almost) all new for 2022 N9JIG Shack) and make room for the new mixer or revert to my older 4u slant cabinet (the same cabinet as Scott's, please see his shack at Scott's Radio Room for 2023 and mine at November 2021 N9JIG Shack).

There are advantages either way. With the smaller 3u cabinet the monitors and radios atop it are lower to the desktop for easier viewing and access. This would mean however that I would have to find a place for the mixer. I could remove one of the almost brand new (2 weeks old) 3u panels and replace it with a 2u and put the mixer in with that or I would have to add a new place for the mixer.

The larger would allow me to use the almost brand new (2 weeks old...) 3u panels I just bought and just add the mixer. I would then fill the excess space in the other bays with either blank panels or a shelf I could use for the Windows and pi computers or a power strip. Hedging my bets I ordered the blank panel and a shelf so I could use the 4u cabinet. The monitor height would not be a huge issue as I could either move the monitors a bit to the right and off the cabinet or just deal with the added height for the pi and Windows monitors.

On the other hand I still had a 2u panel for the 25A power supply and a radio slot. I also have a nice power supply/desk cabinet for the Kenwood GMRS rig so I could put that on top. Either way I could remove the altered keyboard tray I have been using for the larger mixer. It worked well but I just did not like it.

As I awaited the delivery of the new mixer I stewed on the options and ultimately decided to stick with the 3u cabinet for now. I have the option down the road to change my mind (I NEVER do that...) and go to the 4u but so far I am happy with the way this turned out.

So here are the pics:

Original panel
3uwithpwr.jpeg
First off, just for reference I wanted to show the panel (above) that I removed and stored (for now) to make room for the mixer. I just got it a couple weeks ago and it is a thing of beauty. It is from NovexCom and they did a fantastic job with it for what is, all-in-all, a reasonable price. It is kind of a shame not to be using it but it was the logical thing to do.

That said, here are the current (as of today) pictures:
Overall
Overall.jpeg
Here is the overall shot. The desk is an UPLIFT L-shaped raising table. I have had it for a few years now and I absolutely adore it. Plenty of space, solid mechanicals and it looks great. I can change the table top down the road if I choose but I like the 1-inch black laminate.

On the left side is the radio cabinet. This is a 3u/3-bay AudioRax cabinet in Ebony Black. The only problem I have with it is that the stain doesn;t seem to hold up as well as paint or laminate. I might refinish it down the road but that is a problem for future me.

On the right is the computer stuff. The far left monitor is for the Windows computer, this runs ProScan, Pro96Com, ARC-xx and whatever other radio programming stuff I need. The upper-center monitor is connected to a Raspberry pi3 running HamClock, a free alternative to a GeoChron for hams. The lower-center and far right monitors are for my M2Max MacBook Pro and is used for my day to day use.

The two 50-inch TV's are used with AppleTV or Roku boxes and are mostly used to watch live cameras for airports and railroads. I can also watch the news or a baseball game if I choose. There is a third 50-inch monitor on the far left wall used for the home security system.

Radio Desk
Radio.jpeg
Here is the overall shot of the radio desk. The details are below.

Left Bay
Left.jpeg
On the far left is the mixer, below it is the power supply for the AT-5888 and IC-7300. The AT-5888 is used for local 2m and GMRS work. On top of the cabinet is the main GMRS rig (Kenwood TK-8180) and my IC-705.

Center Bay
Center.jpeg
This is the center bay. It has an SDS200, a BCD996P2 and a BCD996XT in it. Behind the radios, inside the cabinet is the Stridsberg 8-port multicoupler. On top of the cabinet is my R8600, IC-7300 and SDS100.

Right Bay
Right.jpeg
In the far right bay are 4 BCD536HP's. Inside the cabinet behind the radios live the USB hub (13-ports) and a network switch. On top of the cabinet is my Intel Hades Canyon NUC with 32GB of RAM and 2 TB SSD. This thing is a beast. I have run 24 instances of ProScan, several of ARC-xx and PRO96Com and it barely broke a sweat. It is a fantastic SFF PC, and even after 4 years it still runs anything I have thrown at it.

Computer Desk
Comp.jpeg
Here is the computer side of things. I use the Logitech MX series mouse and keyboard. Since they support up to three devices I have it paired to the Mac, Windows and pi so I can switch to them without needing Synergy or a KVM switch. For me it just works much nicer and reduces clutter. I do have a wired mouse for the PC as 95% of my interaction with that is by mouse, it just makes it easier sometimes to use a separate mouse.

I use headphones for almost everything these days as I share my office. For the Mac i usually use a pair of Logitech wireless (RF) headphones. I use a Pioneer DJ headphone for the radios and an Apple AirPods Max for the computer or phone. What I use for what depends on my mood and convenience.

The MacBook Pro is behind the monitors, the Raspberry pi is velcroed to the back of the upper monitor and the NUC is on the cabinet under its monitor.

Patch Panel
Patch.jpg
Lastly here is the antenna patch panel. I am actually using the same panel I had before but flipped over and resurfaced. I found some Contact Paper that pretty closely matched the wall color. It covers the now unused F and BNC connector holes. I mounted my antenna switch to it so I could reduce the amount of coax patch cords to the desk for my collection of HF stuff. I actually now have 5 HF antennas in my HOA home. Outside are 2 end-fed wires, one for 20m and the other for 10 that extend along the crown of my clay tile roof with the ununs tucked into the vent from which the coax goes thru. I also have a 20m dipole along the edge of the roofline centered in the same vent. In the attic itself are a 20m and 10m dipole.

It is easier for me to swap antennas at the panel than on the radios themselves. I often use the D130NJ for 6M or other bands on the IC-705 but right now it is on the DX50N dual band. I can also connect it to the R8600 but for now it is connected to the SkyBand discone. I have 2 ST-2's in the attic with the replacement ChannelMaster CM-3203 baluns. These newer baluns work much better than the 30 year old cheapies that came with the ST-2.

The coax runs are mostly Belden 9913 except for the HF antennas, those are RG-8X. All are 50' long, the 9913's have N's at both ends and the RG-8X had PL259's. Most of the non-HF antennas have N-connectors, the one ot two that do not have N-PL259 adapters at the antenna.

I might replace the panel down the road but for now it seems to work well as it is.

Conclusion
Scott (KC1UA) and I have shared shack ideas for years and we have traded radios as well. We seem to share a lot of preferences for radios and I am happy to admit I have plagiarized a lot of his ideas and incorporate them into my shacks. I am insanely jealous of his antenna tower, being in an HOA limits my antenna farm to what I can get in the attic and hidden from the HOA people.

I also shamelessly steal ideas from others and I like to share my shacks so others can borrow my ideas. I can put money on the fact that things will change here, they always do. I am sure that I will find something that needs tweaking soon. I would like to pull all the wiring and reroute it, after a couple changes it gets kind of messy.

CKnobb

Premium Subscriber
That's a pretty extensive communications position, Rich. Kudos for keeping it all straight. Looks tightly organized. I'm in the process of remodeling my shack and operating position as well. I need another speaker or 2 for a couple rigs. I'm using one of my old Kenwood SP-23 boxes for the BCD536HP. I was thinking of picking up another until I saw they are north of $100! I see you are employing Logitech speakers. Are they powered? Which model and how do you like them?
Jim K2JL

N9JIG

Sheriff
I see you are employing Logitech speakers. Are they powered? Which model and how do you like them?
The mixer speakers are just a cheap 10w amplified Logitech set intended for computers but match up well with the mixer. For the computer itself I have a set of Bose Companion's, also amplified. I eventually will replace the Logitechs with another set of Bose when they go on sale or something.

N9JIG

Sheriff
You got rid of the 15's why not upgrade the 996XT to a P2.
I use the 996's primarily for Pro96Com so a 996P2 wouldn't add any functionality for that. If the 536 was supported for Pro96Com I would replace the 996's with the 536's.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Can you please comment on the Behringer 1602 mixer? KC1UA mentioned lack of sound quality in his thread. How do you like the overall sound of the mixer? Thanks

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Absolutely outstanding as always, Rich. Once you rack, you never go back! I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the 1602 as well. My main issue with it was my SDS200; I just never could get it to sound right at all. I used a set of Bose Companion speakers as its output. I will likely revisit again someday.

I'm also interested in the Logitech keyboard and mouse. I use a program called Multiplicity to use one keyboard mouse combo with four PC's. However it is not cross platform and someday I may dare venture to the dark side (aka Mac) so curious as to how this operates.

Brilliant setup! You have surely inspired my setups over the years.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
I used the Behringer 1602 mixer before selling it to Rich. The sound quality was great with all my scanner/radio types, Moto XTL's, SDS200, BCT15x's, and even the SDS100 all through a Yamaha Studio monitor. For me, the Behringer 1602 mixer was just too "busy".
I love my Zetron Model 27.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Absolutely outstanding as always, Rich. Once you rack, you never go back! I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the 1602 as well. My main issue with it was my SDS200; I just never could get it to sound right at all. I used a set of Bose Companion speakers as its output. I will likely revisit again someday.

I'm also interested in the Logitech keyboard and mouse. I use a program called Multiplicity to use one keyboard mouse combo with four PC's. However it is not cross platform and someday I may dare venture to the dark side (aka Mac) so curious as to how this operates.

Brilliant setup! You have surely inspired my setups over the years.
As for the mouse and keyboard, I absolutely love the MX Keys and MX Master pair. I loved the Apple Magic Keyboard and mouse (despite the idiotic placement of the Lightning Port on the mouse) but they were difficult to use directly on a PC. The MX pair use USB-C to charge and the port placement on the mouse allows for use while charging.

I used Synergy for a while but it kept waking the display on the client PC(s) if I overran the main display. I also had to make sure I kept the server (my Mac) running all the time, otherwise I couldn't use the client without different IO.

I reverted to a separate KB and mouse for a while but finally realized I already had a much better solution in that the Logi stuff could operate up to three different clients by pressing a button. It was a most elegant solution, and I can shut down any or all of the three computers without messing up access to the others.

As for a Mac, the Mac Mini is a great way to get into things, inexpensive and powerful. Remember however that on Macs these days the memory and internal storage is not upgradable so get what you need for now and what you might need in the future. The MX Keys has the proper keyboard caps for both Mac and Windows and works great on either platform.

Now, as for the 1602...

It seems to work great, even on the SDS200. I have no problem with it at all. I have a straight patch cable from the radio's external speaker jack to the Mono input to the mixer. There is a Level control for each input on the rear panel, I have mine pressed in, that seems to work better that out. I set all the radios to the same channel (my local NWS station and then the ATIS channel for the Air Force Base and set the scanners all to the same volume knob level. I then unmuted each radio in turn to check for proper operation and it seems to sound just as good as when I plug in my headphones to the radio's headphone jack.

I am not sure what issue you had with the 1602 but it works great for me.

I used the Behringer 1602 mixer before selling it to Rich. The sound quality was great with all my scanner/radio types, Moto XTL's, SDS200, BCT15x's, and even the SDS100 all through a Yamaha Studio monitor. For me, the Behringer 1602 mixer was just too "busy".
I love my Zetron Model 27.

With the much simpler controls set than my original X2222 mixer and smaller size it was a great investment! I probably would have gone with a Model 27 but the 1602 is smaller and has a headphone jack built in on the front panel.

K2NEC

Looks sweet, is there any chance you have a picture of your antenna setup and mounting?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Looks sweet, is there any chance you have a picture of your antenna setup and mounting?
Living in an HOA I have to hide them in the attic. Although the attic is large it is crowded with the AC/furnace and its associated venting. This makes antenna placement dicey at best. Pictures of them are hard to take as they are placed in nooks and crannies and it is dark and dusty. Depending on the antenna, it can be standing on it's own on the floor of the attic (Discones), mounted to a joist or (for the 20 and 10 meter dipoles) stapled to cross-members.

Outside I have 3 wire antennas hidden along the rooflines. You wouldn't see them in a picture (that's the idea...) The balun sticks out from a vent eave a little, that's all.

serial14

@N9JIG Thank you for always sharing your shack pictures. They are fun and inspiring.

I'm curious about the choices & reasons behind them when you down sized the number of radios you are running. Previously it seemed like your work horse scanner was the BCT15(x) when you had the full size rack setup. The BCT15x is my go to scanner and work horse as well. Since down sizing, you no longer have any BCT15(x) radios and seems like the only cluster of duplicate radios retained are the BCD536HPs.

I'm interested in your reasons and insights in that choice. I'm thinking/guessing about factors like
- current interests / passions
- whats happening in the PHX Metro area
- interesting insights in radio performance between what you had and what you kept
- or simply... just cause something had to go from down sizing.

In the end... I realize this is just a hobby and passion and all of us get to make our own choices for our operating style. But given how much your shack pictures inspire thoughts... perhaps your thoughts would also inspire thoughts. :)

Thanks

N9JIG

Sheriff
@N9JIG Thank you for always sharing your shack pictures. They are fun and inspiring.

I'm curious about the choices & reasons behind them when you down sized the number of radios you are running. Previously it seemed like your work horse scanner was the BCT15(x) when you had the full size rack setup. The BCT15x is my go to scanner and work horse as well. Since down sizing, you no longer have any BCT15(x) radios and seems like the only cluster of duplicate radios retained are the BCD536HPs.

I'm interested in your reasons and insights in that choice. I'm thinking/guessing about factors like
- current interests / passions
- whats happening in the PHX Metro area
- interesting insights in radio performance between what you had and what you kept
- or simply... just cause something had to go from down sizing.

In the end... I realize this is just a hobby and passion and all of us get to make our own choices for our operating style. But given how much your shack pictures inspire thoughts... perhaps your thoughts would also inspire thoughts. :)

Thanks
I had bought the BCT15’s mostly for fire toneouts, rail and aviation when I lived in Illinois. When I moved to Arizona they were used mostly for searching the mil-air band and after 6 or 7 years I had pretty much found most of the activity here.

Fire toneouts are not common here and the rail activity is much less intense. I decided to use the 536’s for the most part because I prefer the programming methods. I kept the 996’s for use with Pro96com, they work great for that! I use one 536 for rail, another for local fire and inter-op, one for aviation and one for CloseCall. The SDS is used to listen to the local police and fire on the digital systems.

I actually still have a couple BCT15X's in the garage should I need to use them for local stuff but for now I am happy with the 7 scanners I have in here now.

N9JIG

Sheriff
How did you go about getting live feed from the airport? You mentioned Roku and Apple TV. I have an unused Roku that I would like to find a good use for.
They stream on YouTube. Some airports (Miami, Chicago Midway etc.) have 24/7 streams and others are done on an ad hoc basis. If your device has the YouTube app or a web browser you should be able to view them.