Rig with controls in the microphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

cquirk

Hi Some of you may be familiar with the Motorola Spectra radio that has an optional microphne where all controls and displays are in the microphone. Is anyone aware of a 2 meter rig that has a similar feature ? This is going in a high end car and mounting a display etc is not desired by the owner or his XYL

Chris

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I haven't seen a ham mobile with the display in the microphone since Standard left the U.S. market. They were swallowed up by Yaesu/Vertex several years ago.

Full controls in the microphone is a concept that came into amateur radio with the Icom IC-2700 and Yaesu FT-8500, but it has mostly disappeared from the market. There were lots of complaints about the "Mr. Potato Head" microphone on the FT-8500--a radio which had virtually no controls on the radio itself. Most manufacturers have gone back to simpler microphones with just a few basic functions like UP/DOWN frequency/memory buttons and a DTMF keypad that, in some cases, can be used to enter frequencies or select memory channels.

In a quick survey of current models, it looks like the Icom IC-2820 still has lots of functions on its microphone, but no display. You'd still need to mount a display somewhere. It is a dual-band 2m/440MHz radio that can be used in the D-Star digital mode with an optional module. Prepare yourself for sticker shock, though. Even without the digital option, the IC-2820 is still an expensive radio.

Last edited:

cquirk

As you suggest these radios have a remote display that requires mounting. They are looking for a mic that can be dropped into the center console and not be visible when not used. I would use the Motorola Spectra however you cannot really field program these things with out cables computers etc.

They spent $400 on a disguise antenna so the money does not seem to be the issue

mrweather

Not an ideal solution but there are some Motorola vehicular adaptors ("convertacoms") that have full-function/display microphones.You slip your handheld in the unit and the microphone replicates what's on the radio's display including being able to change zones, use DTMF, etc.

I have a Saber convertacom and it required a bit of work to set everything up. The unit only puts out the RF of the handheld which is ~5-7 watts so I needed an outboard RF amp to bring that up. I also needed to provide and external, amplified speaker. Plus, it's a single-band device which means if you want UHF you'll need to pull out the VHF Saber and put in a UHF Saber, and vice versa.

The Saber line stopped being supported by Mother M about 10 years ago but I believe there is one for the XTS line of handhelds called an XTVA. Same concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.