right cable for pro 197

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tleroy79

Premium Subscriber
just paid $39.99 for win500 and another $19.99 for a premium something and $35.00 for a cable hoping I can program my scanner from PC. Nope . the cable I got has a cat. no# of 20-546 hope this is the right one for pro 197. Installed the CD that came with it tried downloading the scanner in win500 and i get timed out waiting for 67452 data bytes recieved 1 ? I also get no PSR-500/600 found. I have put in the key to win500
Is theer something else I havent paid for that will make this work. I reinstalled the drivers that came with the CD and still the same.I would like to thank everyone who replied to my older post for taking the time to help me still working on that. know nothing about scanner programming but im so engrossed into fixing and programming this THING that I'm afraid Im wasting money and messing up the programming on the scanner that it might be something simple. If you can help in anyway i would be thankful. Was up till 2:eek:o am messing with this evil little thing. thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I would start by looking at Windows Device Manager and see what COM port the drivers tried to allocate. The allocation process is stupid - it might have assigned a COM port that's taken up by something else. When you get it so that the port is free of conflicts, that port must match, I'm sure, the one Win500 is expecting to use

This article from our wiki talks about Device Manager...

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

HTH...Mike

RadioDaze

Also, there is a little jumper cable, about 3 inches long, that comes with the programming cable. That's for earlier digital scanners, but not the 500/600 scanners. Make sure it's not being used.

jfhtm350

20-546 is the correct cable. Like Radio Daze says, do not use the small pigtail cable. You will only need to install the cable drivers from the cd that came with the cable and not the ARC500 software that may get installed with them.

Plug the programming cable in a usb port (with the scanner attached on power is off) and then check the device manager to see if the drivers are installed. Under Universal Serial Bus controllers you should have one that says USB Serial Converter and under Ports (COM & LPT) you should have one that says USB Serial Port (COM#). If you have a yellow icon with an exclamation point next to one of those or if they are not there then the drivers are not properly installed.

If the drivers are properly installed then make sure you have the latest WIN500 program. If you have an older one then it may not work with the newer design of the website.

Connect the cable to the scanner and the computer that is on and turn on your scanner. Open WIN500, click configuration from the menu at the top and select Programming Cables and choose the correct cable and probably the COM# from above.

That should get you going. Always plug the cable back into the same usb port you used because the com# can change on you if you move it. I have never used the subscription part of it because i programmed mine manually through WIN500.

N1BHH

When it comes to scanners, programming software and cables are an investment. It is always important to plug the cable into the computer first and wait to see if it asks for drivers, if it doesn't you'll won't have to install them. In Windows 7 my laptop found drivers online and installed them withing a minute for my cable.

Next step is looking at the Device manager to see what port is assigned to the cable. Then be sure you have a file saved and ready to download and all you do is connect the cable with the stereo type 1/8 inch plug to the PC/IF jack on the radio, then click Scanner and choose Upload To Scanner. If you're batteries are weak you will have to replace them with fresh ones, otherwise it's simple.

Just take your time and it'll all come out fine. Be sure all objects are assigned to scan lists. I have many folders with various files which have numerous types of objects assigned to varying numbers of scan lists and everything is just fine.

Make sure to make up a folder in your Documents folder for your Win500 files. It makes it easier to get them and make any changes you wish to make. Have fun, this is only supposed to be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.