• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

RIGrunner for mobile installs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldogarcher

Premium Subscriber
Currently looking to add a radio to my vehicle, and power is kinda becoming a small nightmare.

I currently have a Motorola PM400 UHF band, and a Motorola CM300 VHF band. These both are programmed for the public safety channels used in by the volunteer fire department I am on. I am adding a Tyt TH-7800 for ham frequencies. I would also some time in the future like to add a CB.

With all this power need I was looking around and found West Mountain Radio whom sells RIGrunners, and Ive found some video where people have incorporated these in to their ac to dc power set up indoors. But I was curious, given if I use a heavy enough gage wire (say minimum 8 gage) to my power in and ground. Plus ground at a very solid point. Would this work in my vehicle? None of the radios will be transmitting at the same time since I rarely have a passenger, let alone someone who would even have any desire to key a radio.

If this would work, could I also wire in a relay to make it to where all this would power on and off with the ignition?

Thank you for the input

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
I don't see why not. I use one in my car but only have one transmitting radio. The other terminals feed a scanner, an amplified speaker and another accessory. I've not wired mine to turn on and off remotely though but I see no reason that can't work too if executed properly.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
You need to be aware of vibration as well. If you use Powerpoles in a mobile setting, I'd suggest having one of the types of retaining clips installed too.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You need to be aware of vibration as well. If you use Powerpoles in a mobile setting, I'd suggest having one of the types of retaining clips installed too.

Yeah, good point, I've heard/read people complaining about that.

Probably not something you want for public safety use.

I know the amateurs love them and some 'emcomm' groups have adopted them as their standard. Probably not the best choice for mobile use, though.

DJ11DLN

+1 for the auxiliary fuse blocks. They are cheap, no big deal to install, and just plain dead nuts reliable. If you are going to be putting a bunch of radios (or other accessories) in a vehicle they are IMHO the way to go.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I did.. and added an APO box just in case I forget to shut something off when I leave the truck. Ran 10ga wire from the battery positive and a frame ground to the APO, then from the APO to the RigRunner.. Now I can quickly switch radios without a major refit, and have a couple spare outlets for miscellany.

Attachments

• RigRunner.jpg
    RigRunner.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 313
Status
Not open for further replies.