Riley County P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

nec911

Last thing I heard was they are still trying to get all the sites they are going to need. They had two of them not be viable/allowed so they were having to look at their plans and see what they can get.

nec911

I had a chat with the Riley County folks this week. They have all the sites picked and are working on the lawyering and paperwork. They should have a standalone system up by next year at this time.

K0NYX

Once the new Riley County system is in place, can anyone tell me if coms will definitely be encrypted?

Im not any kind of expert on this but Ive personally not ever heard of where dispatch itself is ever encrypted but I could be wrong. Just seems like they can move off to enc. tac channels if its more serious right? Maybe thats not what you were intending, but Im hoping at least they arent moving to fully encrypted communications for everything including dispatch...

Last edited:

enduser56

Feed Provider
Im not any kind of expert on this but Ive personally not ever heard of where dispatch itself is ever encrypted but I could be wrong. Just seems like they can move off to enc. tac channels if its more serious right? Maybe thats not what you were intending, but Im hoping at least they arent moving to fully encrypted communications for everything including dispatch...
Thanks for your input. As you say, hopefully dispatch and day to day coms will stay in the clear. Time will tell I suppose.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber

A number of law enforcement agencies have moved to total encryption. KCK Police is a great example of this.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
A number of law enforcement agencies have moved to total encryption. KCK Police is a great example of this.

Yes, but the KCK encryption decision was a political one. It was my understanding (per conversation with a KCKPD commander) that the Unified Government Board of Commissioners decided that all law enforcement dispatch talkgroups would be encrypted. KCKPD and WYCO Sheriff didn't have a choice in the matter. No one afforded them an opportunity to give input prior to the P25 switchover. The Commissioners pretty much said "this is way it's going to be". KCKPD, if given a chance to provide input, probably would've gone that route anyway.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
In the long run, I presume this will create a transparency problem for KCK.

It has a little bit as far as the media is concerned. Not sure how the citizens feel about it. My bet is a majority don't really care. Monitoring is a niche hobby. If there were enough citizens who took issue, they would've made enough noise by now to maybe get it reversed.

There's no need to worry. According to local news outlets KCK has had little crime in the past few years.

As far as they know. The monitoring door was shut on them in 2014. Their only info these days comes by way of press releases. It is what it is.

fire512

Premium Subscriber
Tower Sites are all approved and in the process of construction. Tower Sites are all up in the northern part of the county. Right now, the wait is on site structures to arrive so equipment can be installed. The new system is slated to begin testing in March. The Harris system will be a hybrid Phase 1/2 system. Geary County is in coordination to join the system as well. There will be encryption on many of the tactical/operational talkgroups. Some of the talkgroups will cross over the the KSICS system as well. GPS and other features are to be incorporated too.

B411

Tower Sites are all approved and in the process of construction. Tower Sites are all up in the northern part of the county. Right now, the wait is on site structures to arrive so equipment can be installed. The new system is slated to begin testing in March. The Harris system will be a hybrid Phase 1/2 system. Geary County is in coordination to join the system as well. There will be encryption on many of the tactical/operational talkgroups. Some of the talkgroups will cross over the the KSICS system as well. GPS and other features are to be incorporated too.
Curious how the cross over to KSICS will happen? Two different vendors from what i understand. Just curious.

fire512

Premium Subscriber
Harris has several options for cross over. It will not all inclusive. And could range from direct fiber to a radio tied to a controller. The option to tie talkgroups together on the local system will also be possible. There are some capabilities where state radios could roam to the new system as well.

After seeing the different presentations, Motorola is lagging behind in new technology.

fire512

Premium Subscriber
Once the new Riley County system is in place, can anyone tell me if coms will definitely be encrypted?
There will be encrypted talkgroups for sure. We are working through some possible issues with paging and audio feeds currently being used to benefit responders that not be encrypted. Without being able afford radios for all responders, there will have to be a way to provide them with communication or at least the ability to hear what's goin on.

fire512

Premium Subscriber
Due to weather and other factors, site build out is delayed. Sources say they hope to have sites finished in April with a go live date in November.

B411

Harris has several options for cross over. It will not all inclusive. And could range from direct fiber to a radio tied to a controller. The option to tie talkgroups together on the local system will also be possible. There are some capabilities where state radios could roam to the new system as well.

After seeing the different presentations, Motorola is lagging behind in new technology.
I did read up on Harris BE-ON and the Motorola Critical Connect last night and it looks as though both have very similar technology available.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
It should work just fine with ISSI.

I wonder how KDOT feels about allowing a non-Motorola system to tie to KSICS. Remember, they haven’t even allowed stand-alone Motorola systems to tie into KSICS up to this point.

The last information I had from people “in the know” was that Riley County hadn’t discussed their plan to connect the systems with KDOT or started discussing any sort of MOU with KDOT’s legal counsel.

Status
Not open for further replies.