Ringling Brothers train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Sad going out of business after all these years..Times are a changing..
Just saw this video the other day from May 2016 here in Mid-Atlantic area.,Fast forward to the 7 minute mark..
One long *** CSX led train for sure.. Seems longer than the Amtrak Auto train.
Guess plenty of private rail cars up for sale soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6qkhp9cm18

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Sad day. I got to see one of their tents when I was a little kid in Miami, Florida. So awesome. Hopefully someone buys them out and keeps it going.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Circus is done

I read that story earlier today. AS usual unemployed, mob action - miscreants RUIN things for kids. The "protest" industry can go kiss an elephant's anus.

QDP2012

Neat video; I think I counted 67 train-cars in the circus train.

Hopefully all of the staff and animals will have a good future somewhere.

If I'm not mistaken, some of society's transportation-lessons (civil and military) came from the success of the circus-trains and how they moved so much stuff so efficiently; their influence on society has not been strictly to entertain.

..."protest" industry...
This is a candidate for "most accurate-description" award of the day!

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Nice video!

I think it's a combination of things. Operational costs vs. profit margin is key in any business, At some point, you have to have these tough financial discussions and make tough choices. Public outcry and protest about anything having to do with the business you run, WILL affect your bottom dollar. Better off quitting while you're still ahead I guess. I love the circus performers and acts. Great memories as a kid. Sad to see it all come to an end.

Manny

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Looks like their final shows are up Long Island way come early May so guess CSX will get one last
run up the CSX line with the Circus cars.

bailly2

you guys are right,, they should be able to go on keep poking elephants with bullhooks

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Let's try and stay on-topic. If you want to debate the treatment of circus animals, start a new thread in the Tavern.

Thanks.

tech2461

I live in Florida a stone's throw from the Ringling Museum and Cad'Zan, the Ringling mansion. Even if the circus shuts down, the museum and mansion are filled with things of the history of the circus that are worth the price of admission... I used to service the fire alarm and suppression systems in both the museum and the mansion. They are both worth the visit if you come to the gulf coast and miss the circus...

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't know if the circuses pioneered the transportation and logistics techniques that they are known for, but they certainly developed them to a fine art.

The bigger circuses used to plan out their routes and stops well in advance. Each year, they'd publish a "route book" that listed the details of each stop and how the circus would move between points. These route books are collectors items to circus fans and they paint an interesting picture for railfans of the rail network that was in place at one time.

When the railroads started delving into trailer-on-flat-car, they loaded the cars "circus style". Plates were installed between cars and a ramp was positioned at the end of the last car. Circus wagons were then pushed or pulled onto the cars and from one car to another until the train was loaded. This method served the railroad TOFC operations quite well until cranes and containers came along.

you guys are right,, they should be able to go on keep poking elephants with bullhooks

You may have missed that Ringling retired their elephants last year.

Ringling Bros. circus elephants perform last show - CNN.com

But, how circuses treat their animals has nothing to do with how circuses are transported from show to show.

Status
Not open for further replies.