Riots and Emergency Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerbunnies

new to ham radio working on getting the license as soon as possible, id love to network and explore the hobby but my main goal is getting access to information when its relevant and having emergency channels if they where to be needed.

ive been scanning for a few days now and ive checked radio reference and added a few of those frequency but all ive found that is active is a taxi service (neat i didnt know radio taxis where in the area) and some security workers. could i be missing an important step in programming? i use chirp.

what police, fire, emergency frequencys are active in the area of columbus-westerville? or anything else of importance in terms of natural disaster or riots.

very excited to get to know everyone once i get my call sign! EDIT: if forgot to say i have a baofeng ur-5r+plus with a na-771r antenna

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I think you need an actual scanner radio.
Agreed. I think they are on MARCS, so you need something that can handle P25. I’m guessing they are simulcast, so an SDS is in order.

wbswetnam

Scanner prices are pretty high right now, and the Uniden SDS series are among the top end of the scale. As has been observed in other posts, since COVID and the mass demonstrations in May / June, scanners have been "flying off the shelves" so that has contributed to the premium prices. Sad to say this, but I think we can expect more large scale demonstrations and riots in November, regardless of who wins the election. There's going to be a lot of very unhappy people no matter which way the election goes.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

sadatoni

Premium Subscriber
The UR-5R+ doesn't receive the frequencies (I'm assuming it's the same frequencies as the Baoefang BF-F8HP) that COIRS and MARCS is using (700 & 800 MHz trunked digital, P25 Phase I). There are a few frequencies that the UR-5R+ can receive. See the #6 post above for the link to some of them. One that may interest you is the, the one for Central Ohio Severe Weather Network, in the 2 meter band. Visit Central Ohio Severe Weather Network – First Responders For Severe Weather – Find us on 146.760 MHz. the Central Ohio Home of the Weather Net for more information.

NowhereMan66

Premium Subscriber
Scanner prices are pretty high right now, and the Uniden SDS series are among the top end of the scale. As has been observed in other posts, since COVID and the mass demonstrations in May / June, scanners have been "flying off the shelves" so that has contributed to the premium prices. Sad to say this, but I think we can expect more large scale demonstrations and riots in November, regardless of who wins the election. There's going to be a lot of very unhappy people no matter which way the election goes.

I noticed that too, especially the SDS-100/200 and the Whistlers. I did manage to score a BCD325P2 from Amazon as a birthday gift to myself plus I wanted to hear digital stuff. Good little scanner, battery life is a little short but still if you carry spares, it should help.

This does have historic precedence though, back in the 1965-72 time period with we had riots and unrest then, it did spark an interest in the public to listen to first responders and so forth where they bought VHF/UHF radios and the first crystal scanners that were coming online. In a way, history is repeating itself.

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
back in the 1965-72 time period with we had riots and unrest then
Although slightly off subject, you bring up a good point. It seems like the issues are still the same today: race, religion, sexual orientation, legalize pot, political beliefs, men with long hair and beards are back in style, etc. -only on a much larger scale! COVID-19 is probably getting in the way of that "free love" thing but I expect to start seeing daisies painted on mini-vans and Kia Souls next! We as a society really haven't progressed for 50 years. It's like a bad re-run. ...but back on subject, it does make for some good scanner listening!

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Watch for mutual aid frequencies to light up where urban violence (riots) is happening. I believe things are going to get worse before they get better, no matter who wins the election. I'm really curious as to if those media frequencies listed for Columbus are still active? I have a FL for media freqs here in the Dayton area and they are quiet for the most part. Now and then a remote broadcast will pop up but that's about it. I miss the days of yester when media choppers were a great source for information as things happened.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Also some interesting audio being heard from ANTIFA and BLM on CCRs during coordinated looting and vandalism, arsons and toppling statues. I have seen some pics of rioters dressed in all black BDUs with Baofengs on their shoulders. Seems they are not only coordinated, but funded as well. Listen for them on itinerants, too. FRS, GMRS, too/

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Also some interesting audio being heard from ANTIFA and BLM on CCRs during coordinated looting and vandalism, arsons and toppling statues. I have seen some pics of rioters dressed in all black BDUs with Baofengs on their shoulders. Seems they are not only coordinated, but funded as well. Listen for them on itinerants, too. FRS, GMRS, too/

Funny how we don't hear much about that kind of stuff on the lamestream media, isn't it? To hear them tell it Antifa really doesn't exist, and certainly isn't coordinated. It's just a bunch of misunderstood miscreants letting off steam. :rolleyes:

I say hooey. When I see the rioters receiving regular shipments of riot supplies and hear them on the radio telling each other where to go next, that's coordination.

W8WCA

Think I will program FRS- GMRS in and maybe use a old scanner or 2 to scan the Frequencies those CCR's can Tx on

Last edited:

W8WCA

Watch for mutual aid frequencies to light up where urban violence (riots) is happening. I believe things are going to get worse before they get better, no matter who wins the election. I'm really curious as to if those media frequencies listed for Columbus are still active? I have a FL for media freqs here in the Dayton area and they are quiet for the most part. Now and then a remote broadcast will pop up but that's about it. I miss the days of yester when media choppers were a great source for information as things happened.
I dio not hear much on the Media Frequencies now days - but now and then I hear Remote Broadcast (links?)

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I started losing media reception back when they all got Nextels and went private digital. Now I think they are mainly transmitting between crews with cell phones. I still load them when something big happens (WPAFB active shooter mishap, Xenia school shooting scare) and I did hear a few broadcasts on 450mhz, 160-ish, and 123.050 (air) so they do come out of the woodwork (altho sparingly) when something major happens.

belvdr

I started losing media reception back when they all got Nextels and went private digital. Now I think they are mainly transmitting between crews with cell phones. I still load them when something big happens (WPAFB active shooter mishap, Xenia school shooting scare) and I did hear a few broadcasts on 450mhz, 160-ish, and 123.050 (air) so they do come out of the woodwork (altho sparingly) when something major happens.
Things like TVU backpacks have really altered the landscape, until the cell networks get overloaded.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
The smart phone has revolutionized field video transmission with their quality camera features. Long gone are the bulky Ikegami shoulder cams. I just watched a movie the other night and in the credits after the movie there was a line 'this movie filmed entirely on iPhone7' and I was very surprised. I would have never known this had it not been documented, it was that good.

belvdr

Long gone are the bulky Ikegami shoulder cams.
There are still many shoulder cams out there, but the time of having a truck with a satellite link is gone in my neck of the woods. Of course, COVID changed a lot of that too, with remote news orgs. I was surprised to hear a movie filmed on an iPhone.

DualReverse

Premium Subscriber
Funny how we don't hear much about that kind of stuff on the lamestream media, isn't it? To hear them tell it Antifa really doesn't exist, and certainly isn't coordinated. It's just a bunch of misunderstood miscreants letting off steam. :rolleyes:

I say hooey. When I see the rioters receiving regular shipments of riot supplies and hear them on the radio telling each other where to go next, that's coordination.
Tom, you and I both know that the 3 Percenters are just as much 'coordinated' if not more so. All these fake, wannabe military guys running around looking tactical. For what? GTFOH.

Status
Not open for further replies.