RISCON

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolrich55

Been to RI recently and noticed that Warwick FD is now full time RISCON. It appears to be simulcast to 153.770. The initial tone and dispatch sounds analog but then the comms between the units and dispatch sound like the simulcast from RISCON. Also noticed that Lincoln and Cranston FD now seem to be a full time simulcast on RISCON from the VHF. VHF appears to still be primary although I wouldn't be surprised to see them move in the near future.

MrAntiDigital

Been to RI recently and noticed that Warwick FD is now full time RISCON. It appears to be simulcast to 153.770. The initial tone and dispatch sounds analog but then the comms between the units and dispatch sound like the simulcast from RISCON. Also noticed that Lincoln and Cranston FD now seem to be a full time simulcast on RISCON from the VHF. VHF appears to still be primary although I wouldn't be surprised to see them move in the near future.

Sir, I am also from Connecticut as well. I live in Norwich and I am roughly 300 feet above sea level with an outside mounted antenna. Things have certainly changed for me when listening to the Providence/Warwick, RI area fire depts.

It's ALL OVER. What used to come in loud and clear with my home scanner is longer possible. 50 miles away and I would hear them all. Warwick, Providence, West Warwick, Johnston, Cranston, East Providence, and Intercity FD channels. No more. Listening on that VHF to that entire area was GREAT.

Recently, the only one I have in my home scanner has been 154.31 (Warwick FD) just to see what I can hear. Every once in awhile, I will hear something come over it. Of course I know how busy they are and I very seldom get anything now. Interesting however is that without any PL, I can hear Southbridge, Mass FD about 60 miles away.

At one time I was also be able to hear Hartford 154.31, New Haven (when they were on 33.82), Meridan 154.13, even New Britain 154.19 and Waterbury 154.###. Springfield, Mass on 154.40.

I sure do miss those days. I can't even pick up New London now about 15 - 20 miles away. When they were on 453.90 they came in great.

To me being a scanner buff today is nothing like what it used to be. There was just so much to listen to before. And I sure enjoyed listening to the activity in that Providence/Warwick area.

coolrich55

It's definitely a dying hobby. I don't know any young people interested in it. Those were the days for sure. Never mind not being able to pick them up from Norwich, you can be in Rhode Island and not pick up the north zone or south and be a couple miles away from the towns they serve. The only good thing about digital trunked around here is the CSP. You can hear everything now and not just the dispatcher. Luckily from my house in Griswold I can pick up the Waterford trunked system with my handheld and a RS 800 antenna. It all depends on where you're located.

Status
Not open for further replies.