Riverhead PD dispatcher 800 audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninthwonder4

Opposite for me. I'm in central/western Nassau and I can usually hear Riverhead PD clear but 1st pct suffolk will come in scratchy. No idea why

Rudy3145

Feed Provider
I'm not really talking about signal quality in general, that part is fine.. It's when the RPD Dispatcher keys up its like muffled and you can barely make out what they're saying. Maybe they're just too far from the mic, cause some dispatchers sound better then others. Another thing is that they just "key" the mic to acknowledge units. I guess it's too much trouble to say 10-4 lol

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I'm not really talking about signal quality in general, that part is fine.. It's when the RPD Dispatcher keys up its like muffled and you can barely make out what they're saying. Maybe they're just too far from the mic, cause some dispatchers sound better then others. Another thing is that they just "key" the mic to acknowledge units. I guess it's too much trouble to say 10-4 lol

It drives me nuts when Dispatchers just key the mic to acknowledge, there is a agency in my area that does that all the time, I'm not sure if they are just keying the mic, or they are not waiting a second to speak after they key.

Chances are if the audio depends on dispatcher some probably speak closer then others, one thing I have noticed with some console set ups is when the dispatcher is looking at the computer screen the mic is often to the side of them so in some cases they are not talking directly into the mic as they should. One agency in my area they have the goose neck mics off of the console or they can use the head set. IMO the head sets are much better because the mic is actually in front of the dispatchers mouth.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I find that the audio quality for the Suffolk County 800MHz system varies greatly. I'm not talking about levels of scratchiness - for the most part I get an excellent signal. As Rudy3145 said it's the person behind the mike. Very often they don't pronounce things clearly.

warren

Does anyone have confirmed info on Riverhead Police unit ids? Obviously they use the 600 series, apparently the lower numbers appear to be marked patrol units, but they have higher numbers like 625 could that be a supervisor? 680 Parking Control, 690 Tow? Also sometimes they refer to Unit 101, 104, 106. HP-1, BP-2, etc. Any info would be appreciated.

Techy

Warren, 625 is the on duty Sarge, 690 is the PD wrecker. Some of the rest is a bit unkown to me. Back in the day 650's were the detective units. But as for their audio quality it is horrible. Noisy at times, seems like theres a fan running behind them, I get the rest of the county fine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.