Riverside County GMRS 462.650mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

conve36

If you have ever scanned GMRS frequencies and live in the Inland Empire of Riverside County then I am sure you may have heard radio traffic on 462.650mhz (channel #19 on bubble pack radios). Here is a link to the group that uses the repeater on 462.650mhz CTCSS 218.1

WRRG.net

They are made up of fire photographers, news stringers, public safety personnel and other radio/scanner enthusiasts.

JoeyC

Theres also a repeater (same freq, different PL) down here in SD county with a similar group. The Riverside group seems to be more active than the SD group, although in the past it seemed the opposite. I always have one of my conventional scanners tuned to this freq as it is a great way to narrow in on hot calls and pursuits across southern CA. Sometimes when I don't want to listen to a bunch of scanners (which isn't often) I will listen to this freq exclusively and let it notify me when something is going down. But, like I said, the SD group isn't very talkative anymore. :(

SkipSanders

Silent Key
The San Diego system is active, it's just almost always only active in the early morning hours when most folks are asleep.

Stringers, by the nature of their business, mostly pick up salable video when the regular news stations don't have their own crews available, so Stringers work mostly midnight-9am, while regular news crews are asleep.

Also, 'casual chat' tends to be discouraged, at least during those hours, because users are monitoring while asleep, with (loud) receivers by the bed, and don't wish to be wakened for non-valuable talk.

Essentially, talk is, outside the occasional casual chat, going to be limited to 'STORY happening, NOW', with very little 'just thought you might like to know' stuff mentioned.

conve36

Western Riverside Radio Group (WRRG) when first started, was based off the San Diego area group that uses the same frequency (462.650mhz) but on a different PL tone. A member of the San Diego group started WRRG when he moved to the Inland Empire a few years ago.

In regards to the activity on 462.650mhz for both Riverside and San Diego area's, SkipSanders is exactly right. That frequency should stay quiet most of the time, only working incidents and short chit-chat about incidents should be heard on there. "Casual Chat" is highly discouraged and members will and DO recieve emails reminding them of the group's rules when occasions occur. Especially considering some members (from San Diego group AND Riverside group) are in monitoring distance of both repeaters. WRRG has a "channel #2" which is used for casual talk about pretty much anything, also has been used for incidents working in areas not within distance of the "channel 1" repeater. The "channel 2" is another repeater, on a diefferent mountain-top using a different GMRS frequency other than the main 462.650mhz.

Keep in mind, the two groups are not affiliated with each other at all and do not communicate between groups.

WRRG (Western Riverside Radio Group) = 462.650mhz PL of 218.1 (Channel #19 on bubble-pack radios)

Unknown the exact output PL tone of the San Diego group and if wanted, they can post it.

Mike_G_D

WRRG and SDINI

What I have found so far:

WRRG Channel 1 - 462.650MHz 218.1Hz
WRRG Channel 2 - 462.700MHz 69.3Hz

SDINA Yellow (Primary) - 462.650MHz 229.1Hz
SDINA Red - 462.700MHz 229.1Hz
SDINA Green - 462.625MHz 123.1Hz (this repeater seems to work well in north SD county)
SDINA White - 462.675MHz using multiple tones, at least during repeater testing, (I have heard 229.1Hz, 136,5Hz, and 103.5Hz)
SDINA Ultra - 462.725MHz using multiple tones during repeater testing, (I heard 229.1Hz and 146.2Hz)

I would take my CTCSS tone data for SDINA's "White" and "Ultra" with a grain of salt as they were obviously testing using multiple tones when I caught them (same person doing the testing and identifying the channel so I knew the tones were in some way related though I don't know exactly why or how) so you may want to leave those two in CSQ (open tone squelch) mode until the "real" used tone(s) can be found and identified. Also, both groups may occasionally change all of this (tones, channel names and usage) of course whenever they feel like it so occasionally using CSQ and tuning throughout the GMRS channels is advised.

I do the same as JoeyC - that is monitor 462.650MHz alot as a good resource/alerting tool when I don't want to listen to everything else.

-Mike

conve36

The San Diego system is active, it's just almost always only active in the early morning hours when most folks are asleep.

Stringers, by the nature of their business, mostly pick up salable video when the regular news stations don't have their own crews available, so Stringers work mostly midnight-9am, while regular news crews are asleep.

Also, 'casual chat' tends to be discouraged, at least during those hours, because users are monitoring while asleep, with (loud) receivers by the bed, and don't wish to be wakened for non-valuable talk.

Essentially, talk is, outside the occasional casual chat, going to be limited to 'STORY happening, NOW', with very little 'just thought you might like to know' stuff mentioned.

Well it looks like 318 just couldn't be away from his home area of San Diego County any longer, WRRG wont ever be the same!

Status
Not open for further replies.