• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Riverside Hospital Newport News

Status
Not open for further replies.

fineshot1

Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2004
Messages
2,478
Location
NJ USA (Republic of NJ)
Can anyone confirm that Riverside Hospital Medic channel is 155.400 PL 156.7 for me. I think they ID with call sign KRA536 but this cannot be found in any FCC DB as I think it has expired.
Also - what county is Newport News in? I am not from the area so am not familiar with the local geography. Thanks......
 

W4UVV

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2002
Messages
1,536
Location
Prince George, Virginia--Central Va.
Riverside Hospital

My database shows 155.4000 mhz. pl 107.2 but it is old information.

Newport New is is one of approximately 35 independent cities authorized by the Va. General Assembly during the past 200+ years. Independent cities are autonomous and not part of any county.
 

mikext

Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2003
Messages
320
Location
Virginia
Riverside hospital

You are correct on the freq and Pl of 155.400 and 156.7 for riverside ER
 

fineshot1

Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2004
Messages
2,478
Location
NJ USA (Republic of NJ)
mikext - thanks for confirmation.

w4uvv - i am aware of the independant cities issue. i was just asking about what county newport news is in so i can aquire a county map and look up some geography info.
 

fineshot1

Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2004
Messages
2,478
Location
NJ USA (Republic of NJ)
kc4jgc said:
In Virginia, cities are not part of ANY county.

In the RRDB, you'll find Newport news under "independent cities".
So what your telling me is that the county maps in va do not show the independant cities??
Is that correct?
 

W4UVV

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2002
Messages
1,536
Location
Prince George, Virginia--Central Va.
Again

fineshot1 said:
So what your telling me is that the county maps in va do not show the independant cities??
Is that correct?
He did not say that. He was referring to the governmental structure. What you see on any county map depends on who made it. On some county maps an adjacent independent city may or may not be shown. If shown it might be in an outline and might or might not be colored.
 

kc4jgc

Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Messages
1,413
Location
Virginia Beach, VA
Unless there is an independent city located within the county I would say not.

The area now occupied by the city of Newport News was Warwick County. That county ceased to exist in the 1960's when the city and county merged. Any public record about anything in a city would be found in city records, not county as the county cannot occupy the same area as a city. Same as services. There ARE some situations where a city and adjacent county would share some services, but those are very few.

To make it short, there are NO counties is southeast Virginia east of Isle of Wight and Southampton counties; none south of James City and York counties as the remainder of the area is occupied by cities. You would get maps from the city you're asking for. In this case Newport News.
 

fineshot1

Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2004
Messages
2,478
Location
NJ USA (Republic of NJ)
kc4jgc said:
Unless there is an independent city located within the county I would say not.

The area now occupied by the city of Newport News was Warwick County. That county ceased to exist in the 1960's when the city and county merged. Any public record about anything in a city would be found in city records, not county as the county cannot occupy the same area as a city. Same as services. There ARE some situations where a city and adjacent county would share some services, but those are very few.

To make it short, there are NO counties is southeast Virginia east of Isle of Wight and Southampton counties; none south of James City and York counties as the remainder of the area is occupied by cities. You would get maps from the city you're asking for. In this case Newport News.
OK Steve - thanks for explaining that. Not being local to the va area I did not know that. That is whay I have been asking these geographic type questions. I was trying to become a little more familiar with the local terrain. I work for a local gov(ocean county nj) and we recently setup a series of base stations on 155.400 and programmed them for PL 156.7
and during some vhf-hi band openings we rx riverside hospital during some of those events. We will be changing to a DPL due to this kind of rx propagation problem. It took me awhile to ID riverside due to the callsign KRA536 being expired. I have been tring to get a sense of the local lay of the land so to speak. I was just wondering if the terrain around riverside hospital and to the north was high ground, but looking at all the map info looks like its mostly close to sea level. Thanks.....
 

kc4jgc

Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Messages
1,413
Location
Virginia Beach, VA
You're right, it is. Riverside is on J. Clyde Morris Blvd (US 17) between Warwick Blvd (US 60 )& Jefferson Ave. Pretty flat there, if you're looking at a map.
 

gcgrotz

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Messages
2,091
Location
Charlottesville
Fineshot: It is that sea level that does it. There are frequent spells of tropospheric ducting particularly in the summer along the coast. These are weather related. When I lived there it was not at all unusual to hear ham repeaters on 2meters from NY/NJ in the mornings.

As for the city-county thing, yes VA is unusual with that and it confuses a lot of people. To make it even worse, there is Richmond - the capital CITY and then there is a Richmond COUNTY that is not connected and is in fact 50 miles away. And then there is Roanoke CITY which is surrounded by but independent of Roanoke COUNTY. Its enough to make your head spin!

Anyway, nice to meetcha, come visit sometime.
 

fineshot1

Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2004
Messages
2,478
Location
NJ USA (Republic of NJ)
gcgrotz said:
Fineshot: It is that sea level that does it. There are frequent spells of tropospheric ducting particularly in the summer along the coast. These are weather related. When I lived there it was not at all unusual to hear ham repeaters on 2meters from NY/NJ in the mornings.

As for the city-county thing, yes VA is unusual with that and it confuses a lot of people. To make it even worse, there is Richmond - the capital CITY and then there is a Richmond COUNTY that is not connected and is in fact 50 miles away. And then there is Roanoke CITY which is surrounded by but independent of Roanoke COUNTY. Its enough to make your head spin!

Anyway, nice to meetcha, come visit sometime.
Thanks gcgrotz - Yes I am familiar with coastal ducting and it even happens up at 1.2ghz.
I had several qso's with a ham rptr owner on 1291.8 out of Naugatuck CT from the NJ shore and thats about 140 mile shot over mostly water.

Yes - the va county/city thing is confusing. Sounds similar to the Philadelphia PA city/county thing and they have the same name but are run seperately.

TNX for the good words.....
 

kc4jgc

Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Messages
1,413
Location
Virginia Beach, VA
Then, what's connfusing to us southerners are the "townships" in the northeast and midwest. I know they are like "subsets" (for lack of a better word) to a county but that's about it. I think I've read somewhere that townships are traditionally set up as square shaped and usually about 10(?) square miles in size and doesn't include any incorporated communities. That's about all I know (or I think).
 

gcgrotz

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Messages
2,091
Location
Charlottesville
Yeah that always confused me too, but have you ever been to the Dallas area? Whew what a mess! There is a "town" that was created seemingly to allow liquor stores as you have to go there to get a bottle. Never could figure that out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top