RJ45 extender cable for radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon_k

Greetings,

I've got the curly cord for my Microphone on my 2820 radio. However, it's not long enough to go from my front seat to the trunk! Instead, I ran some normal CAT5 cable in place. However, now it goes straight to the radio and looks bad and isn't gaining benefit from a curly cord.

Does anyone know of a plug that has RJ45 connections on both ends? That way I can mate the normal cat5 cable with the curly cord?

Looked on eBay, looked on Amazon.

Used terms such as "cat5 extender" "rj45 extender" "Ethernet extender" I found ethernet repeaters, VGA extenders that use cat5... just about any insane device except what I want.

jon_k

I've got some of these. I guess this is what I'll do. If I could get an enclosed thing for 2-3 bucks I was going to jump on it.

This method will just result in a messier design. I guess I can use hotglue to make a case, or perhaps get some of that acryllic you can pour in a mold, and make my own box out of it.

Tom_G

I run the CAT5 from the radio in the trunk to a spot between the front seats.
From there I use the coupler to the microphone cable.
So you will get some use from he curly cable.
This works out very well.
You can also use 6 conductor telephone cable with RJ-11 connectors to extend the control head.
The 2820 is a fantastic radio.... Best of luck

N9JIG

Sheriff
I did something very similar with my Kenwood 2m/440 TMD-700A, I mounted the shelf unit in the rear of the van and the control head up front. Since the mic plugs into the shelf unit, I plugged a straight thru Cat-5 cable into the jack on the radio and ran that up front with the control head cable. I used an RJ-45 double-female connector from RadioShack to connect the mic to the radio.
Car.jpg

In a prior installation in my van I had 2 Motorola CDM1250's in the radio stack. Since having the mic cables plugged in directly would have been pretty messy with mic cords draped across the radios I used CAT-5 cables and ran them from the mic jacks into the radio stack and used a computer networking wall box as a central junction box for all 3 mics.

278-2037 (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102882) are the RJ-45 couplers.

278-2093 (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102884) is the box, I have since painted it black to match the radio stack. Look at the very bottom of the picture for it.

I mounted the box in a convenient place to keep the mic cords neatly out of the way and it really worked great!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.