RMNP Question

dpd_co

Can anybody share any scanner setting details about listening to RMNP? I have a shiny new SDS100 and I can't get anything from RMNP using various configurations. I have been able to configure and get Boulder County (analog), and my local PD/FIre (P25) but I can't figure out the RMNP settilngs. Any pointers would be appreciated.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Not sure of your location, but I can rx their VHF East Dispatch (East Side Net 1, mixed mode analog/P25) on my Kenwood handheld in central Thornton.

dpd_co

Not sure of your location, but I can rx their VHF East Dispatch (East Side Net 1, mixed mode analog/P25) on my Kenwood handheld in central Thornton.
I am in Firestone and could receive RMNP traffic with my old scanner a year ago (analog only). I tried East Side Net 1 this afternoon but I only picked up a little bit of analog traffic and some white noise bursts which I presume is unencoded P25. Maybe I am not programming my SDS100 for mixed mode correctly.

Wayne

Premium Subscriber
I think the ROMO LE Rangers have dual band radios as they seem to switch from their VHF system to the CO DTRS system on the fly. The reason they have DTRS capability is most likely interoperability with surrounding area law enforcement, EMS e.t.c., all of who are on CO DTRS.

As I am based in Texas, I listen to the broadcastify feed from RMNP. During some recent SAR incidents I have heard them reference “switch to command” which I suspect is a second TG on the system. It could be a simplex channel as well… Maybe something for the local folks within earshot of the Park can be on the lookout for.

Wayne

Steve2003

I noticed that 172.500 is using P25 now (NAC $455).

The RR DB has this listed in analog mode (110.9 PL) as RMNP Maintenance Net 8/9 - Twin Sisters.

Heard them say "Come all the way with the semi" and "Lane in the half of the section is pretty dry. Submitted to the DB.

Spirit

Premium Subscriber
Rangers VHF Tac Channel use to be Tac 16 166.23750 NFM PL 110.9. I haven't heard anything on this for a long while. I have heard on their Tac 12 talking to ROMO and other Rangers.

dpd_co

Thanks for the pointers - I did a scanner factory reset and started over and I have been able to pick up some digital traffic. I will need to spend some time in RMNP trying some of the database values along with close-call enabled. I suspect there are some things that don't quite match the database. It also seems that the SDS100 scanner does not do as well as an analog scanner in the 170MHz range.