RNC Programmed into scanner

chungah

Premium Subscriber
Hello!
I have just purchased a Uniden HomePatrol-2 and am trying to program the RNC into my HomePatrol. I have a favorites list set up in it, and in that it's set up as an EDACS system. Then I have the department as RNC with their TGIDs as two channels. The main TGID's are the main RNC channel, then the info channel. I have site 13 (Kenmount) and site 14 (Shea Heights) also entered.

I know the RNC uses their radio somewhat frequently because I have their freq in my BCT15 to monitor the activity while I couldn't actually hear what they were saying. Under the RNC list I have made, I also get TGID 529(Avalon East RCMP) come up, even as I was writing this.
I have the RCMP set-up on a different favourites list as a P25 Standard but they aren't coming up through that, only the RNC list I have.

So I think this is how it works.
When you program a department you enter the TGIDs of each channel.
So while the scanner is scanning a site when it picks up a signal that has a TGID of a department, it says it's that department on the screen?
And all the other ones come up "Unknown" if they aren't programmed into a department?

I was wondering if I am doing something wrong here and if anyone has theirs set up and it works for the RNC could they help me out?

I also find this strange, I get the RCMP which are in the database as Phase 1 still, but the RNC are EDACS. So I am getting the RCMP on an EDACS system type.

It seems that I am getting all of the analog (A) groups, but not the digital (D) ones.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Is that why I can get the RCMP but not the RNC? I thought they operated the same way.
Correct, the RCMP talkgroups are listed as analog (mode "A") which would be the only talkgroups on this system that your scanner can track. Digital talkgroups (modes "D" and "DE" in this case) as I mentioned previously are AEGIS = not receivable on any scanner. "DE" indicates full encryption anyway regardless of voice mode used
1677096237187.png

novascotian

The RCMP and RNC will eventually migrate to the new P25 700 MHz TMR system being built now. It is an extension of the present system used in the 3 Maritimes provinces. Don't expect to hear any police traffic though, as it will all be encrypted, with the exception on when they are using Mutual Aid talkgroups with other agencies.