Road Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC1EPZ

Premium Subscriber
My Fiance got me a scanner (BC346XT) this past Christmas. I know absolutely nothing about them but I've always wanted one. I've been slowly learning things about it (this site is a huge help!). I've managed to get some local frequencies programmed into it and I'm happy with that. This Spring for our honeymoon we will be driving across country. We really want to bring the scanner with us. I have tried to figure out if there is a way to set the scanner to pick up any available frequency in the area we are in. I'm sure there is a term for this but I am just too much of a novice at this point. I'm sure one of you experts will understand what I am trying to ask. Any help you can give us will be very appreciated.

kma371

QRT
Welcome to the site.

Check out this link: ARCXT Basic Download

It's software you can download that imports data from the database here and programs your scanner automatically! That way, while you are driving you can download frequencies for the city you are in.

Hope that helped

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"I have tried to figure out if there is a way to set the scanner to pick up any available frequency in the area we are in. I'm sure there is a term for this but I am just too much of a novice at this point."

The term you're looking for is "search". This feature allows you to program an upper and lower frequency limit and the scanner will scan everything in between. There are several ways you can do this, "service search" allows you to scan a band segment used by a particular radio service, the limits are preset by service. The manual will tell you more about this and how to use it.

Since you're going cross country and won't be in any one place for long IMO it's useless trying to program things like trunking and area specific frequencies. Since you're only passing through all that button pushing will drive you nuts and you won't be able to keep up with the changes anyway. Bottom line here is you're better off taking pot luck and playing the bear went over the mountain... to see what he could see.

One last thought, set a long scan delay so you'll have time to hit the "hold" button if you hear something hot and don't want to lose it.

FLRAILMAN

Banned
Hello & welcome to Radioreference, first off, can you give us an idea as to what highways you will be traveling on an/or which states you will be transitioning through? With that information, we can assist you in narrowing down your listening posibilities without loading up your scanner with frequencies too far away from your route to receive. As Warren stated, you can use the scanners service search or band search if you want to discover new frequencies or just when you have some down time in those secluded areas where you wont hear anything, good time to search If nothing else.

FLRAILMAN

kma371

QRT
OK, boys...We have a new member trying to get advice and all we are giving her is wise cracks...knock it off.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Also be aware, many states have different laws regarding monitoring inside motor vehicles. You should look them up. Just be careful, it's a nice scanner, don't get it confiscated!

ltjweiss

that site might not be up to date so you might want to double check. check with people in each state you want to travel through in each states forum on RR.com. sorry to spoil your plans.

kb2vxa

Banned
"Well that pretty much blows that plan out of the water."

Not really, those laws apply to mobile scanners, there's nothing illegal about using one in a motel room or any fixed location. Just keep it out of sight in the trunk while on the road in case you get stopped and they'll never know you have it without a search.

ltjweiss

yes, i think law enforcement are going to be looking for stuff more like illegal drugs or more serious infractions, and thats IF you would even get pulled over. they will probably wont even make a big deal about it unless they see or hear it. even if they see it, they might not even know the scanner laws in their state, but who knows. i just posted that site just so you were aware of the states, i didnt mean to ruin your trip. but if i was taking a trip cross country, i would not worry about it, i might stow the scanner under the seat when only listening to it, but thats what i would do. its up to you what riskes you take, i dont even know what the penalty would be if they found a scanner in your vehicle.

ltjweiss

i quickly read through those laws on that site and the all mention MOBILE scanners, i wounder what the actual law says, because i own all portable scanners. i will be planning a trip to Kentucky soon which says "Seizure by officers authorized for infraction, and may be destroyed." lol. but i will passing through Indiana which says "Use illegal while mobile. Includes use of a handheld scanner on a pedestrian, as well." but im not going to worry about it. im just bringing the scanner to listen to what other law enforcement agencies sound like, not to aid my travel plans.

kb2vxa

Banned
According to the way the FCC defines it a "mobile" device is connected to the vehicle's electrical system or otherwise "permanently mounted". It's pretty clear to those who think but questionable and open to interpretation by those a little slow on the uptake, non technically inclined people with cops and judges whose job it is to generate revenue at the head of the line.

Rather than go through the hassle and wind up trying to reason with a brick the best thing is to know the laws of the state in question. If there are no restrictions go for it, if there are keep any and all scanners locked in the trunk and NOT in the passenger compartment (especially hidden) where your motives may come into question.

BTW, there must be probable cause for a search so don't give them one. During an ordinary traffic stop it just doesn't happen unless they spot something or you act suspiciously like getting all nervous over nothing.

ltjweiss

thats what i like about this community, some one always has a better answer. like kb2vxa said, dont give them a a reason to search your vehicle. or you could get permission from the appropriate head of agencies in each state, or just make some phone calls to see what you can do to make it legal for your hobby, just let them know when you call your true intention, such as your on a road trip and your "just passing through." and have fun with your new hubby..............legal though.

Status
Not open for further replies.