Road trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublem

Premium Subscriber
Hello Maryland!

I will be traveling from Chicago to D.C. along I-70 and I-270. Are they patrolled by the state or respective county? Also, any suggested listenings?

Last edited:

Mr_Boh

Hello Indiana!

I will be traveling from Chicago to D.C. along I-70 and I-270. Are they patrolled by the state or respective county? Also, any suggested listenings?

State for both. Depends what you want to listen to. The respective county fire dispatch channels are worth throwing in there because there isn't a lot of chatter listening to state alone.

doublem

Premium Subscriber
Greatly appreciate the quick response and advice! From what I've read and rightfully so, most federal agencies are encrypted. To your knowledge are there any that are not?

marksmith

I would put in the JNCR system Joint National Capitol Region) as Ft Dietrich in Frederick all through the DC area there are tons of non encrypted military transmissions from a number of installations in the the DC area.

Mainly military police, but also base fire stations, airports (Joint Base Andrews, Pax River NAS) and other things like the Navy Yard in DC.

You probably want Mongomery County and Frederick County trunked systems, and Washington County also if you are coming east on 70 from Hancock to Frederick. All are fairly active systems with little encryption.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

MdListener

If you haven't made the trip yet, here is some info for your questions about I-70 & I-270. Both roads are primarily patrolled by Maryland State Police (MSP).

If you're coming into the state on I-68 from WV, you'll first hit Garrett County. The McHenry Barrack patrols there, and they're on 39.08. You will next hit the Cumberland Bk. in Allegany Co., which uses 39.24.

Next will be the Hagerstown Bk in Washington County - they take over I-68 from Cumberland, and also I-70 coming in from Pennsylvania, so no matter which route you're coming into the state on, you will be in Washington Co. Hagerstown Bk uses 39.34, and is also patched to the County P25 system, but the patched TG is encrypted (their 39.34 lowband freq is in the clear).

The Frederick Bk. in Frederick Co. is next, and they use 39.40, and are also patched to the Frederick Co TRS, but the TG is not encrypted. Frederick picks up I-70 and also handles I-270 to the Montgomery Co. line.

Rockville takes over I-270 through Montgomery County, and also part of the D.C. beltway (I-495), from the Va. line to the Prince Georges Co. line. Rockville uses 39.32 and is also patched to the county TRS. Depending on your exact route into D.C., you could enter two other MSP barrack areas (College Park and Forestville). I'd be glad to post that info if needed. All of the above listed MSP lowband freqs use PL code of 110.9.

Safe travels, and be prepared for heavy traffic as you near the D.C. metro area, especially during rush hour.

doublem

Premium Subscriber
If you haven't made the trip yet, here is some info for your questions about I-70 & I-270. Both roads are primarily patrolled by Maryland State Police (MSP).

If you're coming into the state on I-68 from WV, you'll first hit Garrett County. The McHenry Barrack patrols there, and they're on 39.08. You will next hit the Cumberland Bk. in Allegany Co., which uses 39.24.

Next will be the Hagerstown Bk in Washington County - they take over I-68 from Cumberland, and also I-70 coming in from Pennsylvania, so no matter which route you're coming into the state on, you will be in Washington Co. Hagerstown Bk uses 39.34, and is also patched to the County P25 system, but the patched TG is encrypted (their 39.34 lowband freq is in the clear).

The Frederick Bk. in Frederick Co. is next, and they use 39.40, and are also patched to the Frederick Co TRS, but the TG is not encrypted. Frederick picks up I-70 and also handles I-270 to the Montgomery Co. line.

Rockville takes over I-270 through Montgomery County, and also part of the D.C. beltway (I-495), from the Va. line to the Prince Georges Co. line. Rockville uses 39.32 and is also patched to the county TRS. Depending on your exact route into D.C., you could enter two other MSP barrack areas (College Park and Forestville). I'd be glad to post that info if needed. All of the above listed MSP lowband freqs use PL code of 110.9.

Safe travels, and be prepared for heavy traffic as you near the D.C. metro area, especially during rush hour.

Wow!!! Thanks a great deal MdListener!!! I greatly appreciate your time and hard work! My trip is coming up! I will be there for the 4th of July!

Status
Not open for further replies.