Road Trip

llzel

Premium Subscriber
I'm posting here and in the Unication page. I will be driving from STL to Libertyville, IL and would like to monitor Illinois State Police.
I will be travelling through 6 ISP districts. I assume I'll need 6 sites along the way each with 3 or so control channels. My question is, on a Unication G4 should I program in all the sites and talk group ID's under one knob position? Will the G4 follow along all the sites as I travel north? If not how would you do it?

cubn

Database Admin
That's what I did in my G4. I put all the sites along my route and all the state police talk groups and mutual aid talk groups I could fit given the 64 talk group limit in the same knob. As I drive along it automatically switches to the best tower and decodes whatever talk groups in my scan list are carried there.

llzel

Premium Subscriber
That's what I did in my G4. I put all the sites along my route and all the state police talk groups and mutual aid talk groups I could fit given the 64 talk group limit in the same knob. As I drive along it automatically switches to the best tower and decodes whatever talk groups in my scan list are carried there.
cool, so on one knob (I'll call Illinois) I'll program all the towers and control channels and all the talk groups. I only have 15 TGID's for the 6 districts.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
cool, so on one knob (I'll call Illinois) I'll program all the towers and control channels and all the talk groups. I only have 15 TGID's for the 6 districts.

Not exactly, but sort of, you need to set up six systems each with same sys ID and WACN but different towers/CC info. You can duplicate the TGs between the channels, but need to be added for each. One Zone is Illinois, one knob is Dist 1, then next knob is District 2, etc, for the six knobs/districts with different site info.

Of course, this assumes you know the exact boundaries of each district and remember to switch knob positions at the right time/location.

cubn

Database Admin
That's how I did it when I traveled through Indiana, Michigan and Ohio. I didn't care to isolate to listen to just one district versus another. I just had a knob for each state and let the radio scan whatever the nearest tower it received was transmitting.

Elpato

Premium Subscriber
When I drive thru the state I usually break up the ISP regions into seperate knobs. Reigon 1 (north) and region 2 (central) that way I have plenty of room for interops, local fires and sheriff's that aint encrypted.