Road Trip

tonya

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone next week Ill be making a road trip from Cleveland Ohio to Tampa Fla. I'll be travelling I77 thru WV. Can someone advise me on the system the State Police use if they do or the best frequencies to plug in. I don't have GPS on my SDS100 so I would like to program them in using Sentinal . Thanlks in advance for any help

mocofeed

Premium Subscriber

fredva

Feed Provider
The Turnpike is patrolled by the state police and that talkgroup is given above. You might as well put in the WVSP Troop 4 dispatch talkgroups from the SIRN system, as Troop 4's area includes I-77 north of the turnpike. However, away from the turnpike, you are just as likely or maybe even more likely to encounter local sheriff's departments or city police on the interstates in WV.

102Whisenant

Premium Subscriber
You will also want to program WVSP Troop 6's Dispatch talkgroup 9019 as well. Troop 6 covers the southern end of the state and also patrols I-77 from exit 9 to the Virginia state line.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
If you travel a lot, GPS is the way to go. Fortunately, I got Jon's internal GPS for the SDS100 before he went in communicado. It's always worked perfectly. Before that, I had the external GPS which also was a winner. I now have the SDS200 with GPS in the car. Love it. (I also program the ham radio for repeaters along the route. I just got a new Yaesu FTM-200 so it's a whole new ballgame on the ham side.)

Having said all that, planning the trips is half the fun of traveling for me. I enjoyed the research and programming for the "necessary" frequencies along the route.