Roam mode on 197

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter06

OK here is my stupid question. I have been around radios since I was a kid but some bugs I am still working out with the 197 and mainly as a mobile rig. I am monitoring Indep Mo. They are a 700mhz P25 system. They have about 6 towers. As far as I can tell there is only 1 control channel. I have checked that at various points around town and only the 1 active on a consistent basis and 90% or better most of the time. Does the multi-site setting mean more than 1 tower??? Indep is strong and consistent but I do get conversation drop outs and turns to a garbled mess until that unit or radio unkeys and not sure if its not syncing or follwing the system correctly buts sounds like they are underwater. It doesn't sound like encryption or digital signal like I am used to. KCMO does this too so I think it's the scanner. Not a problem or defective unit, just we are the guinea pigs with all the new technology. A good antenna makes all the difference but have tried that with being mobile, at home and sitting in the same place mobile. Not sure how to tweak the settings with this new stuff. Doesnt matter what settings I have on/off still similar problems. I am impressed with all it has to do but not 100% satisfied with my purchase unitl I know who and what is to blame. I am still learning...

michaelmikesj

From what I understand, ROAM MODE works just like a cell phone. It will receive the signal from the nearest tower so the signal stays strong. So as you are driving around the next nearest tower is where you will receive the signal. I could be wrong. Make sure you have your modulation mode set for AU (Automatic) this way the radio determines what is the best receiving modulation.

Last edited:

JoeyC

If there is only one control channel, having the scanner on ROAM will do nothing. Roaming will lock onto the strongest (based on your parameters in software) control channel for the system you have programmed. If you only program one site (control) there is nothing to roam to.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

It sounds like you have a simulcast system, which the GRE-based scanners have problems with. (Excepting the PSR-800 and, presumably, the 900.)

As mentioned, Roam mode will not help when there are not multiple towers, with different control channels.

Sprinter06

RR is a wonderful source. Some of us get in a rush before digging. Wasn't thinking about GRE having anything but didn't look. Still like getting the input and opinions which helps us all. Thanks for the input so far.. That GRE site has some good info. I thought it was simulcast but just being swtiched over still learning the ins and outs of the new sytem. For the money and on sale it does the job most of the time. Wouldn't pay full price on it. For what I do with it I can live with the bugs til more products and updates come along.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't hold my breath, waiting for more updates. The DSP is at, or near, the limits of what it can accommodate.

Status
Not open for further replies.