Roanoke City P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrrob8

Roanoke City will be changing to digital next week. they are joining the county P25 system. not sure of the schedule but they are already simulcasting EMS talkgroups.

resqpig

It appears Roanoke City Fire/EMS dispatch will be on ID 201 and Tac 2 will be on ID 202. I have also noticed they appear to be experimenting with a computer to voice dispatch system for just dispatching initial calls.

im4jeep

Roanoke p25

Do you guys know of a scanner that will properly decode the county p25 simulcast system? My uniden bcd396t not capable. I'm usually mobile in Roanoke area but live in Bedford 20 miles out. Been listening 30 plus years and looks like the end star city scanning.

gcgrotz

I have that same scanner and I've used it on the Albemarle simulcast P25 system since they turned it on. You should have one of the software packages that will program it directly from the RR database. I don't get down there much and I don't have it available to scan but I don't know why you shouldn't be getting it unless it is s digital vs. analog range thing since you're in Bedford. Try holding on the CC and see if you hear anything or get a signal strength reading.

jrrob8

I use a PSR-800 which does the best job and a PSR-600 which does a credible job. This type of system is problematic on occasion. They now have it the best it has ever been. You can monitor it fairly successfully. Digital is very troublesome in the terrain like Central Virginia has.

N4FTN

Premium Subscriber
I've been monitoring the Roanoke P25 and Roanoke Area TRS with my Uniden 396T for the past 3-years with no problems. Must be a programming issue?????

jrrob8

Roanoke City is now moving their PD to the P25 system. City PD dispatch is on tgrp 221. if you have been listening, you are hearing alot of testing. its going to be nice not having to listen to all that noise for a change.

hornet540

I currently have a PRO-97 and prior to the digital switch, worked fine for scanning the city channels. I tried scanning tonight and have only picked up one random transmission but none of the typical talk groups. Is there a way to program this specific scanner or will I need an updated model to scan the city and/or county?

resqpig

Unfortunately you will have to get a scanner that not only monitors trunked systems, but also digital systems. There are a few departments with Roanoke City that are still analog, but they are not police/fire/rescue.

kd8x

So has the Roanoke City 800 system completely swithed over the the P25 county system?? Do I need to just delete old Roanoke 800 trs???

resqpig

Fire/Rescue/Police have switched. It appears other city services have not and I don't know if they plan to yet. I'm also not sure about the airport and VA Western CC.

gcgrotz

Never delete anything! Here in C'ville the old police channels eventually showed up as the analog simulcast of fire/rescue dispatch and response.

Bite the bullet and go digital, you will also be able to monitor STARS.

Status
Not open for further replies.