Roanoke County Digital Radio Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue_duramax

Hello Guys,

I have been reading the topics on the new 800 digital Roanoke Co/City Radios and frequencies. My question is I have a Motorola 800 band MTX Radio that was programmed with both city and county police, fire and rescue channels on it and the transit button was turned off. So basically it is a scanner and up until a month or 2 a go it worked on the analog program. I have since lost my source to get the radio updated in programing. Is there anybody who has any info on this matter that can help me or do I just have a Motorola MTX paper weight now?

Thanks
Chad

K4APR

Hello Guys,

I have been reading the topics on the new 800 digital Roanoke Co/City Radios and frequencies. My question is I have a Motorola 800 band MTX Radio that was programmed with both city and county police, fire and rescue channels on it and the transit button was turned off. So basically it is a scanner and up until a month or 2 a go it worked on the analog program. I have since lost my source to get the radio updated in programing. Is there anybody who has any info on this matter that can help me or do I just have a Motorola MTX paper weight now?

Number One, Are you an AUTHORIZED user on the Roanoke radio system?

If NOT, I would'nt broadcast that you have that. Even if it is programmed not to transmit, it is still a big no no from a system admin's perspective.

If YES, then take it to the County radio shop and ask them about your options. If it's an MTX8000, you are pretty much dead in the water because they have rebanded and the MTX8000 is not rebandable. Only the MTS2000 and higher with Flashport capability are in the Jedi series. Even if you have an MTS2000, you most likely needed a firmware upgrade aka Flashport upgrade and then you need to have a new re-banded codeplug loaded into the radio. The next step up from there is the XTS2500, XTS3000, XTS5000 and up from there.

K4APR

Chad,

What is the serial number on the radio? It will be somthing like XXXYYYXXXX (X = numbers, Y = letters). I might be able to tell you if the radio is flash-upgradable from the serial.

EDIT: I tried to PM you, but it looks like you have PM capability disabled. Admins, is this because he is still new to the site?

Last edited:

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Number One, Are you an AUTHORIZED user on the Roanoke radio system?...

I know one of the primary responsibilities of a system administrator is to protect the security of the system, but I may be missing something- what would be the problem if he is not an authorized user? Assuming of course he is honest and can in no way transmit or otherwise interfere or receive any encrypted traffic. If those are true isn't it basically a scanner receiver.

Not trying to start anything, just looking for opinions.:lol:

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.