Roanoke County (Project 25) System

Status
Not open for further replies.

im4jeep

I have programes my scanner BCD396T using import with Radio Reference. Signals are strong but digital voice is broken into small bits and and blank air space. What do I need to do to get this recieve this system correctly.
Thanks

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Look through the Virginia threads and you'll find that this subject is being discussed. The problem is probably not with your radio or its adjustment. Simulcast P25 systems are causing similar headaches for listeners in Petersburg, Williamsburg and probably Arlington too.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

gcgrotz

...and Charlottesville too. Try different antennas, bigger or smaller give different results in different parts of town for me.

im4jeep

Roanoke County P25

Still hearing only about 5% or less of traffic in roanoke county since it went p25. I too have traveled all around roanoke and have gotten just a tiny bit better reception, but no where close to what should be. Have changed antennas and went with 800 radio shack version. It does wonders for all systems but p25. Guy at radion shack says to buy real radio. I kind of like my uniden bcd396T but I bought with intentions of going to next level. Not happening. Did I buy a lemon? Does uniden have an answer for why my scanner claims to be P25 compliant but not perform?

citylink_uk

Database Admin
We've had simulcast here for 30 years from 70mhz to 460mhz so we've had to get creative with solutions for listening.

It all depends on your location, if you are in the overlap area between radio sites (could be a few miles) the scanner will struggle to deal with the colliding data whist an actual system radio would be able to recover it better.

Some of the things you could try:

- Signal: If the signal is very high but you still get no voice, try putting the ATT on which may reduce the interfering signal from an overlapping site.

- Antenna: Higher isn't always better. Try a very directional antenna (YAGI) and try pointing it towards different sites and see if pointing at one is better than the other. If the signal is still too high, try locating the antenna so that its path is blocked i.e located in front of a wall to give better take off in the direction you want.

If this still doesn't help, you can only hope Uniden will work on improving simulcast overlap data recovery.

kd8x

Still hearing only about 5% or less of traffic in roanoke county since it went p25. I too have traveled all around roanoke and have gotten just a tiny bit better reception, but no where close to what should be. Have changed antennas and went with 800 radio shack version. It does wonders for all systems but p25. Guy at radion shack says to buy real radio. I kind of like my uniden bcd396T but I bought with intentions of going to next level. Not happening. Did I buy a lemon? Does uniden have an answer for why my scanner claims to be P25 compliant but not perform?

it isn't just Uniden, my GRE 600 doesn't copy a word on the Roanoke P25 system either. I have given up even trying to listen to it....I'll just listen to the city over on the old system and let it go at that....

W4UVV

PSR600 signal strength overload

it isn't just Uniden, my GRE 600 doesn't copy a word on the Roanoke P25 system either. I have given up even trying to listen to it....I'll just listen to the city over on the old system and let it go at that....

This probably is not the source of your problem but FYI the PSR600 is very susceptible to signal front end overload as I discovered when I first connected it to my antenna systems patch board. I have tower mounted RS preamps on Scantennas that are user selectible that work great with all my other analog and digital scanners. I never ever had a problem with front end signal overload with any scanner until I connected the PSR600. At first I did not realize that was the problem. When I realized it was front end signal overload situation. I found a solution that worked for my situation. From previous satellite tv activities in my junk box I found some 75 ohm in line "F" connector attenuators of varying values, i.e., 1db, 6db, 10db, 20db, etc. Trying different combinations the best reception was 16db attenuation when connected to one of my main antennas. Recently I acquired a stand alone attenuator box with varying switchable fixed values 1 to 100 db if I position all 10 switches to attenuate. I route a antenna jumper cable from the antenna patch board as input through the in line variable attenuator box and then an output coax jumper cable to the PSR600. I recently replaced a RS mast mount preamp with the two output ports model and now PSR600 optimum reception is with 36db attenuation. Previously on the replaced preamp it was 16db attenuation.

I did not like the internal attenuation setting in the PSR600 as it is a fixed value and may not be optimum for the situation. To test for the optimum attenuation combination select the weakest NOAA weather broadcast. In Roanoke that may be a problem even with no antenna connected. Try different combinations of attenuation until the best reception is received. Then check the Roanoke Co. TRS for reception

rwayne29

Roanoke County P25

I have just purchased a Radio Shack Pro 106 and am having the same issues as the below posts regarding only hearing a little of the Roanoke County traffic. Most of that traffic is broken up. I have tried adding the software attenuation, removing the agc option, dwell time and numerous other thing with no luck.

I live in the Roanoke City area close to Vinton and am getting great signal strength.

Has anyone gotten this to work? If so what radio model and configuration settings are you using.

Thanks,

John

Premium Subscriber
You problem is that you are likely getting too much signal from multiple sites. If this is fixed base radio I would try an directional antenna pointed at a single site. Probably Mill Mtn. If it is a mobile there isn't much you can do. However to confirm that it works with signals from a single site try driving to downtown Roanoke. My experience is that most places downtown come in fine because it is so close to Mill that it overrides the other sites and it generally works fine.

pogbobo

is there a way to discriminate between these sites? w/o using a directional antenna? seems kinda low tech given the advancements in our hobby lol

how do the moto lmr radios handle the multiple sites?

K4NNW

Strangely, over here in Salem, I can copy that system with no problem. The audio isn't great, but I can still copy it whenever there's a signal. Maybe geography is destiny after all...

im4jeep

Has anyone ever figured this out? I now live about 27 miles outside of Roanoke and getting couple of bars signal strength, but no reception. Would a directional antenna help? Really would like to get Roanoke P25 out here in bedford. No trouble with state police and stars using site in Roanoke and get Roanoke city just fine.
Eddie

N4FTN

Premium Subscriber
I think the post earlier in this thread regarding simulcast systems still holds true......

(12/9/09.......Look through the Virginia threads and you'll find that this subject is being discussed. The problem is probably not with your radio or its adjustment. Simulcast P25 systems are causing similar headaches for listeners in Petersburg, Williamsburg and probably Arlington too. 73/Allen (N4JRI)

I live in Botetourt Co and get Roanoke Co P25 with only a couple of s-units and receive very well. But when at my office off of Peters Creek Road near the airport I have full strength on my 396T but receive very few audio transmissions. If I travel down the street just a little ways all of a sudden I'm receiving everything.

I believe it is all due to receiving simulcast cc's that conflict if you happen to be in just the right location. Actually, I would have thought you being a little out of the primary area in Bedford would have helped you avoid that conflict..... don't know??

I did try a directional antenna with some success by zeroing in on only one site.... probably worth a try if you have one available??

wmullins8195

I also have the same problem. I live near Fort Lewis in Salem, and usually just resort to listening to either my county radio or the old VHF crossband repeater out of Vinton. I have tried different scanners, AGC, high/lo antennas, external antennas, you name it.

Only thing that I have not yet tried is the Yagi, but I am kind of ignorant when it comes to antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.