Roanoke Rapids, no longer DMR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Passed through Roanoke Rapids this evening and found nothing on 155.535, which had been buzzing on DMR less than a year ago. Found police dispatch in the clear on 155.8575 [d445], which had been listed as a public works type freq. Will hope to check it again during the NC QSO Party in February.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

reconrider8

Yip as far as I know but not official they dropped the dmr plan and are in the process of putting new repeaters in for analog. They are on public works for now while they work the bugs out of their new system I'm guessing. Again this is my guess. They actually switched over to 155.5350 but then they switched back to 8575 so who knows

NC1

Going back to analog?

Probably because all this new technology like DMR works so well (insert sarcasm here).

I know, all the manufacturers and sales people need to constantly reinvent the wheel to keep their jobs, and it's all at the expense of the taxpayer.

reconrider8

Yip pretty well sums it up lol. Don't hold me to that though but the last time I heard them on 535 they were analog. So go figure. I know they were having horrible reception issues but why go back who knows

GamecockSJ

Situations like this I don't understand why the department doesn't just move to VIPER. It works well. Little upkeep necessary for the municipality.

reconrider8

1 word MONEY. The county commissioners don't want to spend the money to go over to viper. The towers are pretty much in place and they would have great coverage but they want drop the ball on the radios. I really wish they would also but it want happen for a while I'm afraid.

Situations like this I don't understand why the department doesn't just move to VIPER. It works well. Little upkeep necessary for the municipality.

Price a P25 phase II radio.

Price a DMR radio.

Price an analog radio.

If you are a small town and need 20 radios, it might be easier to jump to a system you can use for free. If you have to have a lot of radios, it might make more economic sense to build your own system if you can't suck the .fed teat to pay for most of the P25 gear.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Since when has Viper REQUIRED purchase of a Phase II radio, they are just barely done with the band change. Never mind the Phase II upgrade which will be a huge project, and all of my towns radio's purchased in the last 2 years have been Phase I.

Motorola hasn't made an analog only radio in 2 years with the demise of the CDM and HT series. The cheapest Analog Mototrbo radio is the SLR series with analog and no DMR entitlement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.