Roanoke Rapids PD Inquiry

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Good morning,

I'm trying to assist a person in the Roanoke Rapids NC area. The RR database indicates current PD operation on DMR. However, this gentleman told me that the Police Chief of the department made a Facebook post apparently outlining his accomplishments in year one of his command, and one of those accomplishments was an apparent move to the VIPER system. The database at this website doesn't include RRPD in the Halifax County section of VIPER, and the only Wiki reference I find does not either.

This person owns an SDS100 with the DMR option and has the proper programming for RRPD's DMR listing, but hears nothing. If anyone can shed any light that would be great as well as potentially adding any updated info to the database.

Thanks in advance.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The RR database indicates current PD operation on DMR. However, this gentleman told me that the Police Chief of the department made a Facebook post apparently outlining his accomplishments in year one of his command, and one of those accomplishments was an apparent move to the VIPER system. The database at this website doesn't include RRPD in the Halifax County section of VIPER, and the only Wiki reference I find does not either.

It is hard to believe there aren't more listeners in Roanoke Rapids who could help with this, but I was visiting Cherry Point a little while ago and found Havelock PD switched to a NXDN system from analog that no one had reported.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Sure looks like they went to VIPER:

Thanks for that info, certainly seems to be telling.

It is hard to believe there aren't more listeners in Roanoke Rapids who could help with this, but I was visiting Cherry Point a little while ago and found Havelock PD switched to a NXDN system from analog that no one had reported.
I was a little surprised by this also. I've made the trip through there many times on 95 and it seems like a pretty populated area. Just need more people with scanners to move in... :)

richardbritt

Database Admin
Information here is submitted by users here after they confirm it by monitoring. It's not something that the powers to be running VIPER submit (Highway Patrol). If you have monitored anything that is not listed in the database, and you can confirm the user and the frequencies use and emission, please submit the information so it can be entered into the database. Posting it here is nice but doesn't flag it to be submitted to the database. Thank you very much.

Regards Richard

Northeastern NC

richardbritt

Database Admin
I checked and as of December 2023 they were on 155.8575 analog FM. I am too far away to hear them but a user reported it as a possibility. Not confirmed. So it's not been submitted.

Can the person who contacted you put their sds200 in discovery mode and see what pops up for the tower there? It should have a tg in the 21500 to 21499 range if the PD is using VIPER.

Regards

Richard

richardbritt

Database Admin
I don't know the answer to that. I don't have access to administer anything regarding VIPER, I am a county level database administrator. I know about VIPER but I don't have access to RID information nor how to look it up. I am just suggesting that the user in Roanoke Rapids run a discovery on the Roanoke Rapids site and watch out for law enforcement conversations in the tg range. The Halifax Sheriff should be on 21504 otherwise it should be what they are wanting to find which is the Roanoke Rapids PD.

That's how I find talkgroups not listed on sites close enough for me to copy.

Regards
Richard

richardbritt

Database Admin
I went on a 2 hour drive in each direction from my house to Roanoke Rapids today. I heard lots of law enforcement traffic on NC VIPER tg 21601 that could be Roanoke Rapids PD. I didn't hear anything on their posted RR frequencies. I went to a nice Cafe in town and left my bcd436hp in discovery mode for about an hour. I just got back and am reviewing calls to verify addresses as being in Roanoke Rapids vs Halifax County. The dispatcher identifies as Halifax, same as on the Halifax Sheriff's tg 21504. So I am pretty sure it's RRPD.

Regards Richard