Roanoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCEMS703

I have a Friend that Lives in Roanoke and was asking me what type of scanner to buy for the area. I have noticed that its a trunked system but in some places it says they are analog and others say its P25. i have no way of testing from my state for her... Can anyone Help me figure out what scanner is best... she wants to hear City police fire and EMS.. County and then Life Gaurd I belive she said was the Air evac in the City.. Thank you in advance

Brandon

jim202

I have a Friend that Lives in Roanoke and was asking me what type of scanner to buy for the area. I have noticed that its a trunked system but in some places it says they are analog and others say its P25. i have no way of testing from my state for her... Can anyone Help me figure out what scanner is best... she wants to hear City police fire and EMS.. County and then Life Gaurd I belive she said was the Air evac in the City.. Thank you in advance

Brandon

I believe you should find that the system is a Motorola P25 one that has been rebanded.

Both the city and the county use the same system, but with different talkgroups.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Jim, even though it's tagged as rebanded none of the frequencies are in rebanding range,

To Brandon,

Tell her the Pro-106 (handheld) & Pro-197 (base/mobile) may be on sale on Black Friday for less then 300 bucks. Both are digital.

N4ANJ

Premium Subscriber
Roanoke City and Roanoke County are different systems. Roa. City is analog trunked. Roa. County is digital P-25 phase 1 trunked. Both use 800 mhz frequencies. Carilion Lifeguard 10 & 11 helo's use VHF and UHF.Also, the new statewide system "STARS" is a VHF P-25 trunked system. "STARS" covers Va. State Police, Game Wardens, Forest, Corrections, Etc.

jim202

Jim, even though it's tagged as rebanded none of the frequencies are in rebanding range,

To Brandon,

Tell her the Pro-106 (handheld) & Pro-197 (base/mobile) may be on sale on Black Friday for less then 300 bucks. Both are digital.

I was sure that when I last visited with the techs at Roanoke County, they told me they were in the process of programming all their radios for rebanding. That was well over 6 months ago. Figured that they have made they move by now. See what happens when you rely on what the horse tell you.

CCEMS703

So If she just for a analog trunking scanner to hear just the city and Lifegaurd she should be okay or is the city planning on going digital ?

John

Premium Subscriber
The city will be transitioning to digital within the next 6-12 months.

The city/county did reband and changed some frequencies but for whatever reason they did not change to the new rebanded channel designators. So you don't have to program in a custom table to make them work. Any old scanner will work with the defaults as long as you use the new frequencies.

I would recommend a GRE or RS equivelant. The city/county can be hard to pickup on a scanner depending on your location due to the simulcast nature of the system. It might require a directional antenna. However a digital scanner will soon be a must. And as someone already mentioned you need digital now for STARS.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.