Robertson County ESD

Status
Not open for further replies.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Robertson County ESD, which radio-wise entails countywide EMS and all VFDs except Hearne, acquired the 155.250 repeater from road and bridge recently. The new license is WQJD362, and it is licensed for narrowband digital voice only. Folks in that area might want to keep an ear out, as the Sheriff's Office is already digital on 154.800.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
ttt Any central Texas folks in the area that can plug this in and listen. I understand that the Taylor PD is on the same frequency, so that might cause some problems.

knightrider

I guess with all the revenues from the oil and gas drilling, the County feels they can throw away money for a less than optimal system. I have tried to talk to some of the commissioners in the past, and had them understanding the problems they were getting into for a small county by going with the digital. Unfortunately, there is no one here who oversees the radio systems close enough to keep them in good operating condition. The current ESD system has had problems for over a year now, but no one has tried to get it repaired, all you hear from the units or dispatch, is your signal is weak. It's in the voter/reciever system that was never followed through with. Another instance of throwing money away, instead of getting the system fully operational, and keeping it that way. The S.O. has had problems in the past, and had to revert to the Analog system. Either they have it fixed, or are using cell phones... Which by the way, the cell service they used to have never worked very good either... Now, I wonder if the Motorola folks in Bryan are going to sell even more outdated equipment to Robertson County, take so long to implement it, the warranty runs out, and then tells them they have to pay for upgrades? That has happened in the past, and it seems we are prime targets for anyone selling a Bill of Goods that are no good. Am I upset? You got it, in one way or another, I am paying for their waste. The grants come from my tax money. The County budget comes from my taxes. The revenue money comes from taxing my well site... They FIre Departments in the County are volunteer. Most of them provide an HT for the members, but if a mobile is desrired, it is up to the member to purchase it. Some can, but many can't. As for the HT's, seems we have been buying and trading them for some time, trying to find something that works, or satifies everyone. Some are Kenwood, Icom, or Motorola. Again, more money tossed away, because all they see, is the "beauty" of a new radio, but have not fully researched it/them to see if they will do the task here. OK, I'm off the soap box.
Knightrider (Nearly 30 years in Public Safety, and more as Ham)

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I was kinda thinking this thing through in my head. I was thinking, maybe they are going to move EMS over to that repeater, and leave the fire departments on 154.145. Not that there is that much traffic to justify separating them, but that would make it not necessary to give a P25 HT to every vollie in the county. I mean, can you imagine a Blackjack VFD guy carrying a digital radio? I can't.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
FYI, Texas Communications is the company that is maintaining that system. I really think that RCESD is kind of stuck in a hard place. For one, they need to keep 154.145 because Bryan Fire units can talk to them on that frequency. In addition, going P25 would make it more difficult for Brazos VFD units to talk to them. In fact, anyone who wishes to talk to them would have to get a P25 radio, or, if they already have one, pay $35 to Texas Comms to have the radio reprogrammed. It would be a BIG MESS.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Like I was saying, having 155.250 become RCEMS primary would not surprise me in the least. You have heard all the concern about patient privacy these days. A P25 conversion with a couple of mobiles/portables having AES/DES capabilities would definitely make anything they had to say private. Not saying this will happen, but when you are only talking about 3-4 mobiles and 8-10 portables to equip the entire RCEMS, it is not that big of an undertaking with revenues the way they are right now. I think they would benefit more by making a west channel and an east channel and run EMS off the old SO primary like this:
West Fire 154.145
East Fire 155.250
EMS Prim 155.580
SO Prim 154.800

Speculation and imagination are wonderful wastes of time, don't you think?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.