Robyn High-Low Bander

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowleyd102

Premium Subscriber
This vintage crystal scanner was lent to me by a friend. It claims to scan both Low and High-Band VHF in two banks of 8-each. There are individual lockout switches for each of the 8 High-Band and each of the 8 Low-band channels. I believe that it is operating properly, but I don't have enough active frequencies in the area that match the supplied crystals to keep the scanner busy. Without lots of traffic, I can't deduce the logic of how it works - Can it scan 16 channels (8 High AND 8 Low), or 8 channel (8 High OR Low)? The manual, which I have, does not clarify this question.

Thanks,

Dave - N0HMI

dispatch

Premium Subscriber
It has separate boards for high and low bands. Up to 8 crystals can be installed in each.
I have one that is high band and uhf. Works similarly...

scanchs

It has separate boards for high and low bands. Up to 8 crystals can be installed in each.
I have one that is high band and uhf. Works similarly...

+1

I still have a working Robyn 4 Bander that I bought new in the 70's. It holds 32 crystals in 4 banks of 8. Each bank supports one of the following bands:

VHF-Low - 25 MHz to 55 MHz
AIRCRAFT - 108 MHz to 144 MHz (AM)
VHF-High - 144 Mhz to 174 Mhz
UHF - 450 MHz to 512 MHz

If the 16 channel version works like the 32 channel model, you should be able scan any combination of bands and channels that you choose with the switches. For example, you should be able to select 16 channels (8 High and 8 Low), or you can use the switches to select fewer channels of up to 8 High, 8 Low, or any combination of either. If you turn up the squelch and just let it scan, you can experiment with the switches and see which lights come on with different switch combinations. The logic should become obvious after a few scan cycles. Have fun! :)

ScanCHS

Status
Not open for further replies.