Robyn HL 8+8-power cord pinout please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

k8mcn

Did a search to no avail-I acquired an old Robyn hl 8+8-does anyone know the power cord pinout? The scanner is in great shape, and has 10 crystals in it, some still active locally-
would like to make a power cord, it has four prongs on the back, i assume two are for 110 and two for 12 volts ----------------took it apart, but not really cetain and hate to fry it since it has survived 30 years----------- On a different subject,does anyone have any crystals for sale or know of the best source??? Kinda retro looking so will be cool in the shack...............
thanks in advance for the help,
Kelly

obijohn

K8MCN, you are one lucky guy...I found this scanner in the 1975 "Sams scanner-monitor servicing data" manual # 5.
Pins 3 & 4 are where the AC power cord are connected.

Pin 2 1s the + 13 volt connection, and pin 1 is negative. I would guess that you would fuse the + lead for 2 amps.

The crystal formula is the standard fc=fo -10.7/3. Any reputable crystal manufacturer can make these. My personal choices would be ICM or BOMAR.

In my book, anyone that wants to use a 30+ year old scanner deserves an answer.

p.s. Good luck on finding the square 4 pin "cinch-jones" connector!

Regards, Obijohn

Last edited:

k8mcn

thanks so Much!!!!!!!!!!!

would pin one be top left?? then read clockwise around? if i cant find the plug (which i doubt) i will snip the wire and just run 12 volts in from my power supply-thanks!!!!!!!!

obijohn

thanks so Much!!!!!!!!!!!

would pin one be top left?? then read clockwise around? if i cant find the plug (which i doubt) i will snip the wire and just run 12 volts in from my power supply-thanks!!!!!!!!

Actually...pin 1 is bottom left. Take an ohm meter and put the leads on the top left pin and the chassis.
It should show a short, That is the ground pin.

2 [ 4 _

1 [ 3 _

(pins one and two are vertical, pins 3 and four are horizontal)

good luck!

KC0QNB

This is strange, for some reason on my way home I was thinking about a Robyn antenna, I think they called it the "firefly" the tip was suppose to glow when you talked on the CB, let me guess you scanner is basically baby blue with chrome trim. Robyn had some cool looking equipment back in the day.

k8mcn

This is strange, for some reason on my way home I was thinking about a Robyn antenna, I think they called it the "firefly" the tip was suppose to glow when you talked on the CB, let me guess you scanner is basically baby blue with chrome trim. Robyn had some cool looking equipment back in the day.

This one is wood tone with a black face and nice chrome trim ring---eight different colored bulbs across the front, and thanks to obijohn it is now up and running----just stopped on the weather channel...............looks kinda cool,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.