Rochester PD/FIRE/EMS, Capable Scanners and Settings?

homerpez

I apologize in advance, I am a complete novice when it comes to HAM radio. I recently purchased a WOXUN KG-UV9PX for extreme emergencies, and was trying to find things to listen to in the mean time. As I'm learning more about the radio, it appears I can't really use it as a handheld police/fire scanner like I wanted.

Specifically, I found that Rochester Police East and West seem to be digital, encrypted, or both - and apparently my radio is "analog only". I've scanned for CTCSS and DCS codes to no avail.

I've been looking at dedicated digital scanners, but as this is more of a hobby I want to make sure I'm not wasting my money. Is there a commercially-available scanner that can access Rochester PD/FD? If so, what features does the scanner need to hear the audio?

Thanks in advance for any response!

k2hz

Database Admin
The present RPD UHF system is P25 digital but it is being phased out as they move to the 700/800 P25 simulcast trunked system. So there is no point in upgrading to a digital scanner to monitor RPD. To adequately receive the P25 Simulcast the options are the Uniden SDS100/200 or Unication Scanners. Other scanners claiming P25 trunking capability have major issues with simulcast reception and may be unsatisfactory depending on your location.

The issue of P25 simulcast reception has been discussed extensively on here so I suggest you do some research on here of the issues and the pros and cons of the SDS vs Unication scanners. I think the topic has been beaten to death on here and I don't want to restart it.

The other option is reception with a computer program and SDR dongle. This has also been extensively discussed on here and is an inexpensive other alternative vs a $600 and up scanner if you are into computer hardware and software.

homerpez

Thanks for the input.

I apologize again, I know that here the topic is likely done to death, and I'm brand new on the scene - having already perhaps wasted $200 on a radio that doesn't do what I thought..

I'll try and do a search on the issues you brought up. I didn't see many articles that helped but I will look again.

Would the Uniden SDS100/200 or Unication Scanners be useful when they make this switch? Or is it a matter of "wait and see"?

k2hz

Database Admin
Also, Monroe County Fire and EMS, with the exception of RFD, are on the P25 simulcast system. Only Fire and EMS dispatch are rebroadcast on VHF but all operations are on simulcast. RFD is still operating on VHF 1 & 2 but is in the process of migrating but no firm date I am aware of.

All Monroe County Law and RPD have been on the simulcast system for some time but the associated talk groups are still patched to the legacy UHF channels since there are a few units still out there with UHF radios. Once those go away then no more UHF operation. Again , no firm deadline for shutdown I am aware of.

homerpez

Thanks again. I'll keep and eye on this thread to see what happens. Definitely going to hold off for now.

Hopefully if the need arises, my radio will still be of some use. Just not as a scanner.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Would the Uniden SDS100/200 or Unication Scanners be useful when they make this switch? Or is it a matter of "wait and see"?

SDS100/200 work well on the Monroe/Ontario P25 system. I don't have first-hand experience with Unication but I'm sure they would work well.

fredva

Feed Provider
I don't own a Unication, but those who do generally say the reception on simulcast systems is excellent. However, if you consider purchasing a Unication, be sure to research the pros and cons. Unication radios were designed to meet the requirements of members of the public safety community, who have a need to listen to their own dispatch but don't necessarily need to listen to all the radio systems of surrounding jurisdictions. Unication radios therefore have some limitations in their scan capabilities compared to an SDS-100 and other scanners.

k2hz

Database Admin
The simulcast system is the primary means of public safety communications in Monroe county now so no reason to wait on getting a capable scanner (SDS or Unication). It is the primary system now for all Law/Fire/EMS agencies except RFD that will also move fully to it soon.

I have a SDS-100 but would have bought a Unication if it was available at the time. I use a BCD436HP for all scanning other than simulcast because of some issues with the SDS100. The SDS100 works great for the local simulcast system but poor for monitoring adjacent counties simulcast systems due to some major design issues. It is far inferior to the 436 on conventional and non-simulcast trunked systems. It tends to be overloaded by strong local signals when attempting to receive adjacent counties. Messing with filter settings and other work-arounds may or may not help as described in this thread:

The Unication gives professional grade performance but it is either a single or dual band radio and has other limitations as a general purpose scanner. For a Fire or EMS first responder wanting a reliable scanner with paging capability the Unication G5 VHF/700/800 model can give excellent coverage of the Monroe/Ontario, Livingston, Genesee and Orleans trunked systems and the Wayne and Wyoming VHF conventional systems.

homerpez

I just wanted to come back and thank everyone for their input, upon reading it looks like I'll one day be interested in the SDS100, but Christmas for family comes first... then bills... then debt. You all know how it is.

But again, thanks all!

RochPapa_67

Hello All. I have to consider myself a newbie again after not keeping up with the radio systems and such for quite some time.

I have read through this thread as I am trying to sort things out. Knowing Monroe county has been upgrading to a P25 trunking system I recently upgraded from my old (very old) Realistic to the Unident BCT436PH. I am still not having any luck picking anything scanning just the trunked system, though I am still picking up quite well on the VHF and UHF channels.

Suggestion?

k2hz

Database Admin
If you have a BCD436HP and are in Rochester, you should get some reception but probably not ideal. First thing to try is do not try to scan all the system Sites. Use the Site Hold feature and try one at a time starting with the Site you are located in and check to see what Services/Departments you have enabled in scan. Use of the ID Search feature will allow you to hear unprogrammed TGs to help determine what you can potentially hear.

All that being said, it is still likely you will likely find the 436 performance on the simulcast system unsatisfactory unless you happen to be very close to a tower site. My 436 gives excellent reception on everything but P25 simulcast where it varies from not bad at times to totally broken up.

RochPapa_67

If you have a BCD436HP and are in Rochester, you should get some reception but probably not ideal. First thing to try is do not try to scan all the system Sites. Use the Site Hold feature and try one at a time starting with the Site you are located in and check to see what Services/Departments you have enabled in scan. Use of the ID Search feature will allow you to hear unprogrammed TGs to help determine what you can potentially hear.

All that being said, it is still likely you will likely find the 436 performance on the simulcast system unsatisfactory unless you happen to be very close to a tower site. My 436 gives excellent reception on everything but P25 simulcast where it varies from not bad at times to totally broken up.

Thank you for the input. I was beginning to think there was an issue with my BCD436HP. Admittedly I am working with a steep learning curve on using this scanner as I am switching from an old Realistic Pro-528. I find the manual a bit tough to follow.