Rockbridge P25 phase 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

forestfire90

Got my new scanner running this weekend and sounds really good. I can hear everything in Rockbridge now crystal clear I just hope my county gets a system like this. I still don't understand some of the channels but learning.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Got my new scanner running this weekend and sounds really good. I can hear everything in Rockbridge now crystal clear I just hope my county gets a system like this. I still don't understand some of the channels but learning.

What scanner are you using ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lexmedic157

We're still working on a paging work around for scanners and unication pagers. The system generates a "system assigned ID" when toning out depts as it's done in a stack (Dispatch, Dept Paging, and analog). It appears as a 65*** number, and unless, currently, you have a scanner on ID search you can miss some info. Going into day 4, still working out some kinks, but it all works properly with issued equipment.

KVABUENA2

Ok so since this change I've had a ton of relatives asking about how to get updated.
I kept putting it off till now having no choice got me a BCD996P2 - I got it updated with freeSCAN and using RR to pull down a ton of lists including those for Buena Vista.
I can't hear anything for BV, I've not heard anything for the sheriffs Dept either. I have been able to hear Rock Fire/Rescue which also seems to tone out for BV Fire/Rescue so I think covered there.

Am I doing something wrong here?
Frequencies show the same as they were for Rescue, fire and Police. Tone for BV Police shows DCS 023 - is that correct? Mod is auto set to FM.

A little assistance would be great. I came off a BC895XLT so I've got a little experience with better scanners but this one is just in a world of its own.

Also to note I'm still using a large external antenna that I've had for the other scanner so its not being obstructed by anything and I'm located in BV so I should be pretty central to everything.

Quick Edit: I did manage to find that I was missing the RockbridgeRgnaIP that included a bunch of other TGID's and so on..maybe that was my issue.
I'll report back but anyway any of you guys have any input by all means I'm gonna be here a while till I master this thing.

lexmedic157

Ok so since this change I've had a ton of relatives asking about how to get updated.
I kept putting it off till now having no choice got me a BCD996P2 - I got it updated with freeSCAN and using RR to pull down a ton of lists including those for Buena Vista.
I can't hear anything for BV, I've not heard anything for the sheriffs Dept either. I have been able to hear Rock Fire/Rescue which also seems to tone out for BV Fire/Rescue so I think covered there.

Am I doing something wrong here?
Frequencies show the same as they were for Rescue, fire and Police. Tone for BV Police shows DCS 023 - is that correct? Mod is auto set to FM.

A little assistance would be great. I came off a BC895XLT so I've got a little experience with better scanners but this one is just in a world of its own.

Also to note I'm still using a large external antenna that I've had for the other scanner so its not being obstructed by anything and I'm located in BV so I should be pretty central to everything.

Quick Edit: I did manage to find that I was missing the RockbridgeRgnaIP that included a bunch of other TGID's and so on..maybe that was my issue.
I'll report back but anyway any of you guys have any input by all means I'm gonna be here a while till I master this thing.

So, if you look at the Rockbridge RR database, most of the analog repeaters are now out of service. The ones that are listed are used for interop. The whole county is on P25 now, so yeah, get those talkgroups in there and you’ll be good. I suggest, for the time being, leave the setting on your scanner to ID search and lock out the encrypted TGs.

KVABUENA2

So, if you look at the Rockbridge RR database, most of the analog repeaters are now out of service. The ones that are listed are used for interop. The whole county is on P25 now, so yeah, get those talkgroups in there and you’ll be good. I suggest, for the time being, leave the setting on your scanner to ID search and lock out the encrypted TGs.

Yes appears once I got that group added it took care of what I was missing and I went back and locked out the older analogs for now...will go back and delete later.
It will take me some time to get up to speed on this scanner but so far so good.
I can only feel for most citizens using the cheaper basic scanners that enjoyed listening..it basically just went worthless on them. I would have thought the local paper would have covered the update and added some more extensive details as to what would be needed for them to hear. The painful part would be the cost since this scanner was over 350 along with the cost of the RR sub.

lexmedic157

The news channels (WDBJ7, etc) came in and did a report the day we went live. It may be worth while to leave the analog repeaters in there, can hear outside agencies coming in before they're patched. Also, the analog Dispatch channel will still work for those that have old scanners. They just wont be able to hear the on scene stuff.

KVABUENA2

The news channels (WDBJ7, etc) came in and did a report the day we went live. It may be worth while to leave the analog repeaters in there, can hear outside agencies coming in before they're patched. Also, the analog Dispatch channel will still work for those that have old scanners. They just wont be able to hear the on scene stuff.

News 7 didn't cover anything aside from the move - it was basically 30 seconds of coverage. I already contacted the local guy in the county by email and he never did reply.
Basically inquiring as to why they didn't cover that part of it and give better details.
I already contacted the local paper to see if they would go more indepth in next weeks addition.
Will see what they do.

There is nothing being broadcasted on the old scanners now - they are all dead. Soon as the change went into effect they became silent and worthless...not even the dispatch was being heard.
I will be working on a system to broadcast the local PD's and Fire over broadcastify soon as I get everything setup properly. From what I gather it will need multiple sound cards which shouldn't be a problem for a dedicated PC small but efficient to construct.

lexmedic157

The county will cover the F/R broadcastify as soon as the old setup gets upgraded and moved. And analog Dispatch does work, many of the volunteers still use their Minitor pagers to get their calls.

KVABUENA2

The county will cover the F/R broadcastify as soon as the old setup gets upgraded and moved. And analog Dispatch does work, many of the volunteers still use their Minitor pagers to get their calls.

Good to hear on the county F/R - I'll try to do just BV PD and so on that isn't there.
I'm assuming that is who was already doing the county before.

I've not heard a peep out of the dispatch since the change nor has many others otherwise I wouldn't be getting asked as often.

Reconnected old scanner - will listen but so far nothing on it other than airliner traffic.

Edit: all you hear on 460.225 for example is static from what sounds as if they are attempting to talk.

Last edited:

lexmedic157

Ha, on the airline traffic. Yeah, the analog dispatch is simulcasted with P25, if you do live in BV, you may consider putting in the 103.5 PL tone so you don't get the NC sheriff traffic.

lexmedic157

You should be hearing traffic on 453.325 pl 103.5 (analog dispatch) there's a bunch going on.

And encryption, it's the trend. Rockbridge will likely be that way in the next year or two.

KVABUENA2

You should be hearing traffic on 453.325 pl 103.5 (analog dispatch) there's a bunch going on.

And encryption, it's the trend. Rockbridge will likely be that way in the next year or two.

can hear that analog traffic.. just not the PD's.

As for the encryption - I know I'd express concern over a public run and funded system. Considering just purchased a very expensive scanner to hear things it would most certainly be a hand raised from at least my self. For now all is good and will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Not heard anything from BV PD yet after getting the new settings in or group, they are either very quiet which is strange or its not working.
Time will tell.

lexmedic157

yeah, none of the PD's will come over anything analog. I haven't seen BVPD talk a while, rest assured, they're there.

Status
Not open for further replies.