Rocket City Rednecks

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB0VWG

So did anyone see the show this evening when the rednecks were listening for Aliens. They were using several small dishes and then they upgraded to a larger dish. I believed they were using winradio for the receiver. And all of a sudden they started receiving signals from outer space, Wow isn't that cool.

But the question remains was that a signal from outer space or someones 2.4Ghz wireless network interfering, or a cordless phone. I just thought it was funny that they thought they were actually receiving signals from outer space. I am not denying they didn't and very well could have but I seriously doubt it and just thought it was pretty funny.

What are your thoughts?
73's
Michael

zz0468

QRT
Banned
My thoughts are, it's TV. Therefore, at best it's contrived. At worst, complete fiction. I'd be surprised if they were receiving actual terrestrial signals, let alone something from space.

I didn't watch it. Was it at least entertaining? If so, the producers met their goal. If not, it'll soon be replaced with some other contrived rubbish.

DocTravis

My thoughts are, it's TV. Therefore, at best it's contrived. At worst, complete fiction. I'd be surprised if they were receiving actual terrestrial signals, let alone something from space.

I didn't watch it. Was it at least entertaining? If so, the producers met their goal. If not, it'll soon be replaced with some other contrived rubbish.

No, it was not contrived at all. I've been building radio telescopes since I was in high school. Go google the IBT and you'll see that people do this all the time. In fact, we proved (although not aired) definitively that we were getting radio waves that followed the sidereal time motion of the Crab Nebula. We got radio from the sun. We also got a LEO sat a bit before that. We were "listening for aliens" only in that it was a system that could be used for SETI. None of us had any belief that we were gonna here aliens. We did have to allow for the very small but finite possibility though. The producers just played that up for some reason. I did want to emphasize that it WAS/IS possible just not statistically certain.

Regards,

DocTravis

DocTravis

It was not contrived. I've been building radio telescopes all my life. Off air we actually proved we were getting radio signals that tracked the sidereal motion of the Crab Nebula. Plus we tracked the Sun. And, we picked up a LEO sat at around 300 nautical miles with periodic telemetry signals that lasted about 120 seconds (as would be expected from a LEO sat). We got it back about 90 minutes later for about the same amount of time (again expected from a LEO sat).

DocTravis

rss3781

Lol

could be from the side lobe could be anything that ant no radio quite zone it could be the the kid nextdoor useing a microwave or wifi or cordless phones intercoms please. A hi lo high gain beam array would have done much more with a homemade az ev rotor. Not a big solar cooking disk LOL

rss3781

It was not contrived. I've been building radio telescopes all my life. Off air we actually proved we were getting radio signals that tracked the sidereal motion of the Crab Nebula. Plus we tracked the Sun. And, we picked up a LEO sat at around 300 nautical miles with periodic telemetry signals that lasted about 120 seconds (as would be expected from a LEO sat). We got it back about 90 minutes later for about the same amount of time (again expected from a LEO sat).

DocTravis

While a majority of artificial satellites are placed in LEO, where they travel at about 7.8 km/s (28,080 km/h), making one complete revolution AROUND not back to your Lat Lon the Earth in about 90 minutes

leo sats travel at 90 min orbits maby polar orbit not over the US. GOES sats noaa sats would have been fine for me to even proov it was a signal that was in the sky i use to here OSCAR sats on a ht radio oscar pass at 12-8 hr orbits with a rise and set of about 20 minutes

Last edited:

rss3781

No, it was not contrived at all. I've been building radio telescopes since I was in high school. Go google the IBT and you'll see that people do this all the time. In fact, we proved (although not aired) definitively that we were getting radio waves that followed the sidereal time motion of the Crab Nebula. We got radio from the sun. We also got a LEO sat a bit before that. We were "listening for aliens" only in that it was a system that could be used for SETI. None of us had any belief that we were gonna here aliens. We did have to allow for the very small but finite possibility though. The producers just played that up for some reason. I did want to emphasize that it WAS/IS possible just not statistically certain.

Regards,

DocTravis

The sun and background radio sounds more plausible then the out of towners did u record any part of the LEO telemetry it would be nice to here

rss3781

stereo time

the only way to know if something is 100% in the sky is to track by stereo time from 2 different locations. But the show is fun anyway. guess SETI didnt lend them the NEW PARABOLIC DISH array for a few hrs.

DocTravis

While a majority of artificial satellites are placed in LEO, where they travel at about 7.8 km/s (28,080 km/h), making one complete revolution AROUND not back to your Lat Lon the Earth in about 90 minutes

leo sats travel at 90 min orbits maby polar orbit not over the US. GOES sats noaa sats would have been fine for me to even proov it was a signal that was in the sky i use to here OSCAR sats on a ht radio oscar pass at 12-8 hr orbits with a rise and set of about 20 minutes

Yes I understand about the orbits. See the 2nd chapter of my textbook Introduction to Rocket Science and Engineering.

A sat can possible cross over the same location if it is about 15 degrees or so on either side each orbit. But no matter. You are likely right that it was not the same sat. In fact, I've done some orbit tracking and figured out 2 likely candidates for my two encounters.

Doc Travis

DocTravis

Post analysis of the data proves that the signal we detected of the Crab Nebula did track the sidereal motion of the nebula. We have also since proven it again. This is the topic of a second PhD I'm doing so I've done a lot of analysis and research over it.

Travis

rss3781

cool

i use Nova to track oscar sats what prog are u using to track the sats. and how about a show about a home made az/el rotor with an oscar setup one that is 2 way tx/rx do u have a oscar setup? they are not many working sats left out there for public use and amsat could use all the help it can get

Status
Not open for further replies.