Rockford City Going Starcom

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhalld38

About time Rockford for once gets into the 21st century. Glad I got a PSR-500 to monitor them when they do go digital.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Don't have a digital and not real interested in getting one.. Until the prices drop a bit...

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Tell the Rockford fathers to ask the cops in Plainfield ILL how they like being on Starcom, they better keep there VHF system and cell phones charged after they join!!!....

jpm

Grammar correction.

Tell the Rockford fathers to ask the cops in Plainfield ILL how they like being on Starcom, they better keep there VHF system and cell phones charged after they join!!!....

Tell the Rockford fathers to ask the police officials in Plainfield, Il. how they like being on Starcom, they better keep their VHF systems and cell phones charged after they join.

STARCOM in coming in great on the Uniden scanners.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Starcom is coming in here great on my 396,GRE500, PRO96, 2096, but, Plainfield is in a area where there are no TOWERS near them....There hoping for a Starcom tower to be placed near there village in the future to help there "drop-out" problems.....If you lived here in the area and monitored them you would know what im talking about!!!..

RADIOGUY2002

Mixed reviews in cook co.

I bounce off north and south and find both systems at times to be un readable or experience drop out. I'm experminting with the one for du-page county and it seems to hold the audio quality better then the north and south systems. And before I get asked the question, I'm near the westchester tower. What I find interseting is the ones near central IL work better then the ones up here in the burbs.

I think its a bad move for rockford, but they'll find out the hard way. Have you seen their vhf radios, they date back to the 80's. Sorry guys, just what I noticed. Would not be my choice after spending all that money to upgrade stuff already in place. I'm little confused on this one. I just hate to be the officer chasing after someone when my portable radio cuts out. One more department not to work for, their goes officer saftey...

Or my other personel favorite, the fees are going up. Didn't see that coming... What do you mean their is no bandwidth left, amerian energy and coned etc are buying up the system. Oh, yea their paying us 80.00 a unit per month, I guess they should have better sevice. Screw the pd's and fd's their not effecting are bottem line. Or your radio can not support that part of the system, sorry to bad for you, you need are new xts 10000 radio. ha ha, the chief will buy this because then he can play tetris on it.

Last edited:

jpm

settings

I'm using the Lake county site mostly and have issues with the Chgo north tower. The distance I'm from the Lake county site is 2 miles from my home location. I am experiencing poor audio from the Chicago north tower but my distance from that one is 6 miles. I also have a Nextel tower 1/2 block from my location and with that notice better night scanning and able to receive both the Dupage and Chicago south towers, which are 700 tower sites. Due to the distance I loose the control channels at times and obviously audio issues due to this otherwise the Lake county site rocks and sounds great. And I would imagine the 700 towers have less if not no Nextel interference.

Just curious as to the settings that each member is using for these sites and the distance from each if known.

Last edited:

Astro25

Oh and also, Rockford's radios aren't that old. They're actually using recent model Vertex Standard portables, and mobiles by VX as well. I think they've got VX900s, or thereabouts.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Just took the family and my Uniden396 from home to Springfield, used the "custom search", excellent coverage of Starcom in centrall ILL all the way down I55, Pontiac, Bloomington,Springfield towers and some inland from I55...Last week took the family to Milwaukee , did tower 101-Dupage, 115-N-Chicago, and T108 Lake Co very well almost up to Kenosha, and in Kenosha there digital freqy of 155.58 sounded great....My best tower here to monitor in Joliet is T125-Grundy Co, its not a multi-cast tower and it sounds great on D5,D6,D17, D21, thats how they sound in centrall ILL....

rhalld38

I listen to Boone Co. on my PSR-500 and at times Boone Co. would come in garbled and other times they would come in clear as a bell, I hope this is the right move for Rockford since their concern for officer safety.

RADIOGUY2002

Lake County Tower

Lake county towers is awsome, I agree. But the sites of 115 and the other Chi-north and chi-south are really bad in comparison to central IL. What you listen to central IL, you really wonder why the systems in cook county are not better.

Will county towers are mixed review, lasalle county towers work very well, with some drop out on the turns on I80.

Oh, the one system-westchester tower about 6 miles maybe with about 2 bars, and the ohare airport loctaion about 10 miles with 1-2 s bars. The one in addison, which works better is about 15 miles and works beeter then the other two with about 2-3 s bars

I used work right next to the tower in lake county, deerfield. Pretty good as far as rx and no drop out. Takeda Pharameticals

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.