Rockford Police Going Fully Encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Some hilarious idiot posted THIS comment in on Freybearfreakfan's page about this story.
After calling everyone a name he posted this underneath -
"They're not trying to hide anything, dumbasses. They're switching to StarComm digital radios which costs like $2000 per unit to install. It's not that you can't listen to it, it's just that it costs a lot of money to do!"

It's hard to imagine some butt-brain would post that without even checking to see that they were already on Starcom21 and in the clear except for a few encrypted talk-groups. IT's THIS kind of crap-brain that should simply stick to watching the Kartrashians or something more his speed.
Johny, I've seen some similar comments like that posted in a Rockford paper, and on gmail from people who are Sooo clueless how even simple communications work, that I just want to choke some of them out. The chief is going to have his decision bite him in the a** in the future. 73, n9zas

Raccon

Encryption on everything is a "secret police" force. If on a jury, I for one will not vote to convict on evidence presented by such an agency. Proponents comfortable being convicted that way?
Considered that even encrypted radio calls can be recorded and decrypted for replay?

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Raccon: My recorder periodically gets selective file errors and trashes key files. Don't you just hate when that happens?

I'm not quite sure what I think of people who trust that the secret police, which actively hide their communications, would somehow release any data that is inconvenient to their agenda.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Crime went UP, (Robberies) since the police went encrypted.
Funny how that works.

A quote from a citizen: Bob Mlsna "I was talking to a group of criminals and they said the encryption of the police scanner has emboldened them because now they can strike at will without neighbors knowing"

gewecke

Banned
Funny how that works.

A quote from a citizen: Bob Mlsna "I was talking to a group of criminals and they said the encryption of the police scanner has emboldened them because now they can strike at will without neighbors knowing"
Not that the Chief or Sheriff would admit their error in judgement, but maybe showing them a copy of Bob's conversation might make them realize encryption could work against them? I know its doubtful but what's to lose in making them aware, right? :roll: 73, n9zas

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
County Police Radio Will Open Communications

Wonder if the police chief and sheriff will read this?

Another agency went back to unencrypted. Un-Encrypted is BEST for the officers safety and the people they serve

"Chief Matt Doering said is in the best interest of the officers and the people they serve."

"To ensure the best communications possible for his officers, Doering said the county will soon switch to an unencrypted channel for basic communications among patrol officers and dispatchers."

Note: The RPD went encrypted few days ago on the 1st and WILL REMAIN ENCRYPTED. And in 2017 all the departments are going encrypted, said the Winnebago County Sheriff.

County Police Radio Will Open Communications

gewecke

Banned
Doubtful Frey, but hopefully at some point he comes to his senses and realizes the public is not out to get them. :roll: 73, n9zas

Raccon

Not likely, since Decryption would not be an easy task if at all. :roll: 73, n9zas
Obviously there is some device involved that has the correct key for this. Recording systems are pretty much standard for most public safety forces today, including those systems that use encryption. And as such there must be a way to decrypt the recordings.

I'm not quite sure what I think of people who trust that the secret police, which actively hide their communications, would somehow release any data that is inconvenient to their agenda.
It is my understanding we weren't talking about a secret police as such, so perhaps your concerns are misplaced here. If you don't trust the sytem then we have bigger problems than encrypted calls not being decrypted for evidence in a trial.

Funny how that works.

Unless there is some stats to back this up I will take this with a pinch of salt; a single group of criminals does not represent all of them, but perhaps Mr. Misna could interview a few more since he seems well connected.

gewecke

Banned
Obviously there is some device involved that has the correct key for this. Recording systems are pretty much standard for most public safety forces today, including those systems that use encryption. And as such there must be a way to decrypt the recordings.
Forget about it. The correct device would be another Authorized encrypted radio on the Same system which Only authorized users would have access to. Keep in mind IF you were able to decrypt those comms with the correct keyloader, it would be Illegal and a Federal offense since you would Not be authorized. At any rate I think you, I and all those without the correct loading keys would be Sol. 73, n9zas

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Doubtful Frey, but hopefully at some point he comes to his senses and realizes the public is not out to get them. :roll: 73, n9zas

Considering Rockford is already encrypted and the Winnebago County are going encrypted.

I highly doubt they will.

Many have turned against the police and many are turning a blind eye these days.
N.B.S.S. = No Body Saw Sh@t"

The police stabbed a stake in the heart of an already fragile public relations.

The robberies have gone WAY up since the 1st. Criminals are using the encryption to their advantage.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Unless there is some stats to back this up I will take this with a pinch of salt; a single group of criminals does not represent all of them, but perhaps Mr. Misna could interview a few more since he seems well connected.

It is called COMSTAT. they release for public records.

And ISP and County police are NOT encrypted and they do their 10-68's (BOLO) on those freq that arent encrypted.

Compare the stats from compstat and listen to the scanner and it is proven fact.

gewecke

Banned
Considering Rockford is already encrypted and the Winnebago County are going encrypted.

I highly doubt they will.

Many have turned against the police and many are turning a blind eye these days.
N.B.S.S. = No Body Saw Sh@t"

The police stabbed a stake in the heart of an already fragile public relations.

The robberies have gone WAY up since the 1st. Criminals are using the encryption to their advantage.
. I know, I've been listening to Winnebago Tac1-4 every night I'm home. I read that county will go encrypted in 2017. Sad... 73, n9zas

Raccon

Forget about it. The correct device would be another Authorized encrypted radio on the Same system which Only authorized users would have access to. Keep in mind IF you were able to decrypt those comms with the correct keyloader, it would be Illegal and a Federal offense since you would Not be authorized. At any rate I think you, I and all those without the correct loading keys would be Sol. 73, n9zas
There are devices in the infrastructure of some suppliers which are not radios that will do the decryption. Obviously access to such a device and the replay application will need to be strictly controlled to prevent misuse, but that's something we should expect in a secure network.

gewecke

Banned
There are devices in the infrastructure of some suppliers which are not radios that will do the decryption. Obviously access to such a device and the replay application will need to be strictly controlled to prevent misuse, but that's something we should expect in a secure network.
Encryption would not be effective if there were devices that possesed the correct keys to break the encryption , other than the target radios they were intended for. I'm sure you imagine there are magical devices that will instantly pick the correct algorythm out of 10,000,000 possible keys but there's really not. There's the loader with a selected combination and the target radio, that's it. That's Why its secure, because there aren't any secret devices to be lost or stolen to compromise those radios. Only keyloaders, which don't decrypt. Occasionally a radios key will become corrupted and not function with others in the group. It happens here occasionally. The key is simply reloaded, or the radio is repaired. Or a New key is assigned to All the radios in the group on a preset schedule. If you know of such a magical device which can cypher through millions of combinations, other than a Quantum terminal, Please enlighten us? :). 73, n9zas

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
So the police have been caught 4 times fudging their crime stats.

Anyone surprised?

And we filed FOIA requests, and they have all been on deaf ears.
Funny, because we filed same type of stuff with the county and had the FOIA content in our hands in 2 days after filing it. But yet the RPD has yet to respond, oh its been 23 days since the first request.

I was starting to believe their encryption was really for officer safety purposes. But now it just shows, officer safety has nothing to do with it. Its about not being transparent and hiding information.
(Caught 4 times messing with crime stats, and filed 22 FOIA requests and not one response)

I do give them credit, they have came out publicly on a few things they normally wouldn't have.

Also, it their 72 hour call log, they logged a multiple shooting victims incident (On Greendale ave) as a "Weapons violation" not as an agg. battery. So if you are following that call log, keep that in mind.

I support the men in blue 110%, but I do not support this encryption BS

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
I agree Frey, it seems they had their own agenda in mind for the encryption. I'm not convinced officer safety had that much to do with it. Since our Pd, here to your west went total Enc. the Only way to get any info is through the online blotter reports. Frankly, I'm surprised its still there. :roll: 73, n9zas

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
All of "Joliet" city's Public Service have been "ENC" for some months now....When out-lying towns need help its always "TX" Joliet we need assistance and were in a chase going into Joliet ' "TX" them for some help...That is sure a real let-down for todays police work as Joliet does not really have any use of ISPERN....Modern times....lol

gewecke

Banned
All of "Joliet" city's Public Service have been "ENC" for some months now....When out-lying towns need help its always "TX" Joliet we need assistance and were in a chase going into Joliet ' "TX" them for some help...That is sure a real let-down for todays police work as Joliet does not really have any use of ISPERN....Modern times....lol
. Wow, so they can't or Won't go direct with cops asking for assist? That's sad, because if the wrong perps knew that, they could use it to their advantage. Jpd could essentially roll into something another agency had a part in and might cause confusion. 73, n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.