Rockland County Public Safety Communications System

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The system is still being built out, although 9 of the 10 simulcast sites are on the air with a control channel. The system is not being used by any public safety yet, not until the 10th site is up and running and all testing is complete. The system is used daily by the system managers and techs as they work on the system and check coverage. Additionally, three of the frequencies are being changed soon to eliminate some of the adjacent pairs. The system was just upgraded from system release 7.11 to 7.13 last week, and the Motorola techs are still configuring the equipment for those changes, including integration of the conventional UHF base stations (Fire Paging) and UHF receivers (Fireground).

jvdet

I thought that the 470.8 was for the DA Office ? one of the uhf has been in use since the uhf license was granted for DA, was interesting to listen too but when they encryptic was harder to follow.
The APX portables are in use by them as tests covergage on the 700 but may keep the uhf? no?

svfd17

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/389)

Does anybody know what they are going to do with the rest of the uhf frequencies that they have licensed?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I thought that the 470.8 was for the DA Office ? one of the uhf has been in use since the uhf license was granted for DA, was interesting to listen too but when they encryptic was harder to follow.
The APX portables are in use by them as tests covergage on the 700 but may keep the uhf? no?

470.800 has nothing to do with the DA. 470.800 was first licensed back in 2005 when the plan was for the trunked system to be T-Band. That plan has obviously changed, so the frequency will now be used for simulcast Fire Paging instead.

I'm not sure what you're asking about the APX portables, 700 and UHF. The trunked system is 700 MHz, period, that's not going to change. 9 of the 10 sites are already built out and operating on 700 MHz.

Does anybody know what they are going to do with the rest of the uhf frequencies that they have licensed?

Are you asking about the T-Band frequencies licensed under WQDK886? If so, they will all be returned to the pool with the exception of 470.725 and 470.800. WQJZ527 and WQLI201 were already modified to delete the other frequencies.

svfd17

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/389)

Saw a guy from Nanuet ems at my job today with an apx.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Saw a guy from Nanuet ems at my job today with an apx.

No one is operating on the system yet except for a handful of county personnel, local radio techs, and Motorola ST's. Excluding the Motorola ST's, there are less than 10 portables programmed on the system.

EMS was issued APX 7000's that are programmed only on their VHF frequencies, not the trunked system. This was done so they could comply with the narrowband mandate.

svfd17

Yeah, I know it wasn't on the trunking system, I just wanted to mention that there are a few new radios floating around.

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
Im hearing what sounds like a crossband repeater of 44 Control 46.1800 over 470.8000 but I do not read any PL tone or DCS tone. Is this in preparation for the future move to UHF paging, or is it a departments crossband? It comes in loud and clear compared to the old 472 Tilcon Mountain repeater.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Im hearing what sounds like a crossband repeater of 44 Control 46.1800 over 470.8000 but I do not read any PL tone or DCS tone. Is this in preparation for the future move to UHF paging, or is it a departments crossband? It comes in loud and clear compared to the old 472 Tilcon Mountain repeater.

It's just something that was rigged up temporarily, and won't be on the air for much longer.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It comes in loud and clear compared to the old 472 Tilcon Mountain repeater.

By the way, the Tilcon repeater is and always has been on 470.500, so I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "old 472 Tilcon Mountain repeater" :confused:

svfd17

So what will take the place of that when it goes off the air? And will there be any conventional links once we switch over?

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
My bad was thinking 472 for some reason. I meant the Thiells FD crossband 470.500. Was the 470.500 repeater down for an extended period of time in the past year?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
So what will take the place of that when it goes off the air? And will there be any conventional links once we switch over?

Nothing. It was setup temporarily and was never intended to be publicized or monitored.

Once fire moves from low band to the trunked system, 46.18 will remain operational for paging (simulcast along with 470.800) only. Response/operations will take place on the trunked system, and fireground will remain on the UHF "Tact" frequencies.

Essentially, all low band to UHF crossband repeaters will become useless once fire switches to the trunked system. There won't be any activity on 46.18 except for the initial dispatch, which being simulcast from 10 sites on 470.800, will render those crossband repeaters pretty pointless.

Now, if a department wants to go out and spend their own money on an APX mobile/consolette that will interface with a UHF transmitter so they can broadcast one of the fire talkgroups over UHF, that's entirely up to them.

The county is not putting up any "conventional links" to the fire talkgroups, if that's what you're asking.

My bad was thinking 472. for some reason, yeah I meant the Thiells FD crossband 470.500.

No problem. The Tilcon repeater has very clear audio, but won't have the range of what you're hearing on 470.800 currently, especially to the south.

Last edited by a moderator:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Was the 470.500 repeater down for an extended period of time in the past year?

The crossband portion of the repeater was down, yes. The low band radio failed and needed to be replaced. The UHF repeater remained operational (it's a true repeater up there with low band patched in, unlike most of the other setups that are merely a low band <> UHF link)

Status
Not open for further replies.