Rockland county talk group

Vitot1366

Premium Subscriber
how's it going i switched over to scanners and i am unsure on how to pick up rockland county police and sheriff i have the tgid and simulcast just not sure how to use it and be able to listen to it(i have a BCD325P2)

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Just a bit of background on terminology…
P25 or Project 25 is a trunking system that was designed to allow for interoperability between other agencies. (Some systems are proprietary and do not allow connecting with other systems.)

P2 or Phase 2, sometimes listed as Phase II, are digital systems as opposed to Phase I systems which are analogue. (When there was only Phase 1, the need to label it as Phase 1 was not necessary but when the digital flavor came to be, there was a need to differentiate between analogue and digital, hence Phase I and Phase II. (There’s also a Phase III.)

Ed note; Any further clarification or correction of this understanding is welcome.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
i have a BCD325P2

Not he best scanner in the world for a simulcast system but you might actually pick them up well. Hit or miss. But as far as programming, what software are you using to program your scanner? That scanner will do control channel only meaning you only need the 4 freqs listed on that site. The c represents its a control channel and gets entered into the radio without the "c"

771.41875c771.65625c772.05625c772.55625c

If you only want the county pd and sheriff, then you really only need to add those talk groups and set the scanner to Id Scan or it will pick up every talk group that's not programmed when there is activity. Or you could import all talk groups on the system and lock out anything you do not wish to listen to.

This link explains everything about that scanner. Easier to Read BCD325P2 Digital Scanner Manual

If your programming manually, click on Programming systems on that page or right here Programming 'Systems'

If your using software, tells us what your using.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
New to phase 2 and p25 system I currently have a BCD325P2 scanner and am trying to get into Rockland talk groups for police and I’m just unsure on how to do it can anyone help I have the TGID.

All the "channels" (talk groups) that end with an "E" in the mode column are encrypted channels and no scanner can listen to them, so there is no need to add those talk groups.

Vitot1366

Premium Subscriber
For programming I am using freescan it will not let me
Import from radio reference at all. Should i delete the channels that aren’t control channels because I programmed them all.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Why will it not let you download from radio reference? Are you using the correct username and password in the software that you use to log into the radioreference.com?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Are you using the correct username and password in the software that you use to log into the radioreference.com
Are you a premium (paid) subscriber? By looks of your profile, you are not.
Another reason why trying to answer posts on the forums while driving a vehicle is not a good idea.

Nice catch JT

Vitot1366

Premium Subscriber
I am not a premium subscriber. I believe I got it I’m picking up spring valley,Clarkstown,ramapo. I just haven’t picked up the sheriff dept and NYSP troop F

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
P2 or Phase 2, sometimes listed as Phase II, are digital systems as opposed to Phase I systems which are analogue. (When there was only Phase 1, the need to label it as Phase 1 was not necessary but when the digital flavor came to be, there was a need to differentiate between analogue and digital, hence Phase I and Phase II. (There’s also a Phase III.)
Nearly all of this is completely wrong. 🤦🏼‍♂️

P25 Phase I (FDMA) and Phase II (TDMA) are both 100% digital and always have been. There is no "Phase III", so I have no idea where you're getting that idea from.

I suspect that you're confusing Motorola Type II systems with P25 systems. Even if you were, most of what you posted would still be wrong.

tvengr

Well Known Member
For programming I am using freescan
If you attach your FreeSCAN programming file, I will take a look at it and advise you why you are not able to receive Rockland County Police and Sheriff. You will need to right click on the file and Send to Compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and Open the zipped folder.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am not a premium subscriber. I believe I got it I’m picking up spring valley,Clarkstown,ramapo. I just haven’t picked up the sheriff dept and NYSP troop F
The easiest way to do this, as already noted, is to be a Premium Subscriber. That's $30 a year, or $15 for six months. There is also a link on that page to get information on a 90-day subscription.

However, if for what ever reason you prefer not to be a Premium Subscriber, even on a limited time basis, you can still import much of the details you need via FreeSCAN's EZ-Grab feature. That lets you copy data from a web page, then selectively paste the applicable information into FreeSCAN, Details on using that are in the FreeSCAN User Guide in the Wiki,

You would still need to manually enter the site frequencies, but EZ-Grab can be used for the channel details (talkgroup ID & description for trunked systems, or channel frequency, usage, and code/tone details.

Conventional system example:
1668631952110.png
(I set that up quickly so that I could create a screenshot of a set of talkgroups.)

Here's an example of a trunked system:
1668632123305.png

However, there is another possible handicap in using the 325P2. The Rockland County system's site is Simulcast, Simulcast can be an issue for all scanners other than the SDS100 & SDS200. The 325P2 is not a good choice if you are having issues with distortion. Here is a map for Rockland County's Simulcast site:
1668632421637.png
Each of those blue dots represent a transmit tower for the site, If you are very close to one of these, like a quarter mile, then you might not have an issue. Much farther away, your scanner may perform poorly. Each of these towers broadcasts the same radio traffic, on the same frequency. So, depending on the distances, these transmissions arrive at your scanner at various times, out of sync. While the time differential between these may be minuscule, it is still enough to trip up the scanner's ability to process the control channel data. You might hear only garbled audio, or nothing at all. Or, if you are close enough to one site, or something such as hills or a cluster of taller buildings, blocks conflicting signals, it might work. In some cases, something in your house itself may block some of the signals, such as metal siding or foil backed insulation in the walls. In a few cases, even moving the scanner a few feet one way or another may improve results. Simulcast problems are extremely location dependent. A directional antenna can also help.

More on Simulcast can be found in the Wiki:
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

Of course, if one of these 'work-arounds helps at your location, then you can possibly deal with it. But that is only at a fixed location. If you are driving out & about in your area, all bets are off. You likely will have problems that cannot be solved with a 325P:2.

Attachments

• 1668632099610.png
    1668632099610.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 1