Rocklin Police Receiving Disruptive Communication Over Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
"ROCKLIN (CBS13) – Scanners are vital for police officers. It’s how dispatchers contact them and how they communicate with each other. But in Rocklin, somebody is messing with that vital communication".

Rocklin Police Receiving Disruptive Communication Over Scanner « CBS Sacramento

As WE all know police offiers don't use scanners to communicate, they use two-way radios.

The story has already aired using the word "scanner" in TV markets across the country so they must have put it on a national affiliate feed last night.

I have emailed the news director at CBS13 asking for changes to the story but it may be too late.

Last edited:

KD6HRI

Regardless that they blew the story by mentioning "scanner" it's still disturbing that some adam henry may have gotten ahold of a ham radio that can transmit on their frequency. My bet is that they have a portable and are relativly close to Rocklin Police Department. I hope they find whoevers doing it and string them up!

sacscan

I heard intermittent music transmissions over RPD a few days ago. Unfortunately they stopped as soon as I got my digital camera out to record them.

sacscan

I wonder if our "friend" has also been playing around on Folsom PD Tac 3? I've been hearing the same short music transmissions on this talkgroup for at least a week now. Unfortunately I was never able to capture it on video until I bought a camera with a fast boot-up time (a Kodak Playsport Zx5).

This is what I heard late last night: music played on Folsom PD Tac 3 5-5-12 - YouTube

Excuse the poor reception. This was recorded at a friend's house who has horrible reception of Site 002, even though he lives in the county. His Site 001 reception is perfect though. Go figure.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"ROCKLIN (CBS13) – Scanners are vital for police officers. It’s how dispatchers contact them and how they communicate with each other. But in Rocklin, somebody is messing with that vital communication".

As WE all know police offiers don't use scanners to communicate, they use two-way radios.

The story has already aired using the word "scanner" in TV markets across the country so they must have put it on a national affiliate feed last night.

I have emailed the news director at CBS13 asking for changes to the story but it may be too late.

It looks like a CBS story writer needs to do some homework! :lol:

n9zas

Radio_Lady

is Jack Gerritsen back?

The infamous Jack Gerritsen (ex-KG6IRO) was released from Terminal Island Federal Prison on February 17 after serving almost six years for jamming local and federal law enforcement and other emergency frequencies. Maybe he relocated himself from L.A. County to your area and went back "into business."

ARRL Letter

Federal Bureau of Prisons

soundstyle

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if our "friend" has also been playing around on Folsom PD Tac 3? I've been hearing the same short music transmissions on this talkgroup for at least a week now. Unfortunately I was never able to capture it on video until I bought a camera with a fast boot-up time (a Kodak Playsport Zx5).

This is what I heard late last night: music played on Folsom PD Tac 3 5-5-12 - YouTube

Excuse the poor reception. This was recorded at a friend's house who has horrible reception of Site 002, even though he lives in the county. His Site 001 reception is perfect though. Go figure.

Hey SacScan, that's Eric B and Rakim, Paid in Full. Old school rap. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7t8eoA_1jQ

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
While you guys may be right about the Rocklin PD incidents, in regards to Folsom you can't just buy an off the shelf HAM HT and set it up to transmit on SRRCS. It's more likely that the latter was just an officer screwing around (Tac channels are car-to-car after all!).

Eric B. & Rakim - Paid In Full - YouTube

HA! :D

sacscan

Eric B. & Rakim - Paid In Full - YouTube
Yeah, I recognized the song as soon as I heard it. I like that song. It's also on the 'Colors' soundtrack.
While you guys may be right about the Rocklin PD incidents, in regards to Folsom you can't just buy an off the shelf HAM HT and set it up to transmit on SRRCS. It's more likely that the latter was just an officer screwing around (Tac channels are car-to-car after all!).
This is very true. However, I thought I remembered reading something years ago about someone here in Sacramento cloning a SSD deputy's radio and gaining illegal access to the SRRCS. Unfortunately I have no idea where I heard about it, so I don't have a link to provide.

sacscan

I believe it does recognize radio IDs. I've heard kerchunks on the system and the dispatcher identifies the officer by unit number and asks if they had radio traffic.

stealth916

Premium Subscriber
Radio silence?

Anyone else notice that activity on the Rocklin main channel has decreased dramatically since this? I don't know if it is coincidence, but I think they have shifted to using the MDT a lot more lately. I don't hear nearly as much going on as I used to...

SCPD

QRT
Regardless that they blew the story by mentioning "scanner" it's still disturbing that some adam henry may have gotten ahold of a ham radio that can transmit on their frequency. My bet is that they have a portable and are relativly close to Rocklin Police Department. I hope they find whoevers doing it and string them up!

An out of the box amateur radio will not transmit on public safety channels even though it receives same. Modifications can be made to some amateur transceivers but it can be very tricky on some very small HT's such as the Kenwood TH-F6A's and the Yaesu VX series. Many of these modifications, if not all, can be found on the Internet. The point here being that it takes some effort to use a ham radio to pull a stunt like this.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

Does the writer for CBS know they didn't do their homework?? :lol:

n9zas

stealth916

Premium Subscriber
They (the media) don't do this on accident. They use the word scanner deliberately. They know full well what a scanner is, news organizations having some very nice base and mobile scanner equip, and any beat reporter worth his salt carries one or more too. There are many people who would still love to prevent you or I from tuning the radiation being transmitted through our homes and bodies. This type of reporting is in furtherence of that effort. If they beat this drum enough, someday CA voters will pass a prop to ban scanners...

</conspiracy theory>

mkewman

They (the media) don't do this on accident. They use the word scanner deliberately. They know full well what a scanner is, news organizations having some very nice base and mobile scanner equip, and any beat reporter worth his salt carries one or more too. There are many people who would still love to prevent you or I from tuning the radiation being transmitted through our homes and bodies. This type of reporting is in furtherence of that effort. If they beat this drum enough, someday CA voters will pass a prop to ban scanners...

</conspiracy theory>
I'm not sure if you're joking here... but I'm going to assume you are serious. I don't mean this post to be an attack but I feel the need to inform you of a few things:

Speaking as someone who works in the media, this is ridiculous. Most people in the media do have scanners, but they are not programmed well, and most people barely know how to use them. Speaking as someone who's actually seen the newsrooms here in Sacramento, most newsrooms are equipped with 1 or 2 base scanners and a handheld. Reporters may have their own scanners but not all do and their extent of Scanner knowledge is to push "hold" when they hear something interesting and then call the public information officer and get the details. I'm not speaking for ALL reporters, but this is the vast majority.

Secondly, news organizations DO NOT WANT ENCRYPTION OR SCANNER BANS.

SERIOUSLY,

If they were to ban scanners, media organizations would be included in the ban. You'd never again see professionally shot footage of a burning building on your newscasts again, you'd see viewer submitted footage shot by an amateur on his/her cell phone all over the newscast. (Putting stringers, photogs, and freelancers out of a job)

Believe it or not, not all reporters are versed in the technical details of their stories. They are usually on deadlines and stories like this don't necessarily lead the newscast. The term "scanner" was most likely an oversight. Relax.

What really gets scanners banned and encryption systems is people using scanners in furtherance of crimes, streaming them during car chases and tactical ops.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.