Rode The Bicycle To Work Every Day This Week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am proud to announce that I've now gone 6 straight days without directly consuming a single drop of gasoline. I started riding to work 4-5 days a week about a month ago and I can already notice the savings. Gas just isn't worth it anymore.

Hopefully more people will break out their bicycles and join me.

brian13pickle

That's "great" you don't only save on gas, you also save on health care, by losing weight and gaining good overall health. Go for it! Just be careful and I hope you're wearing a good helmet. I just started wearing one after approximately 39 yrs. off & on riding. BTW how far is your commute?

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
It's way too dangerous to ride around where I live. You'd get run over by a car in the first week! It's illegal to ride on the sidewalks. There are a few bike trails, but nothing close, and none would be practical to get where you'd most likely want to go.

The Gas Companies Can Go Suck It.

GreatLakes said:
It's way too dangerous to ride around where I live. You'd get run over by a car in the first week! It's illegal to ride on the sidewalks. There are a few bike trails, but nothing close, and none would be practical to get where you'd most likely want to go.
That's because gas was less than $1.00 a gallon for the longest time. My hope is that in the coming years more bike-friendly infrastructure will be built around U.S. cities. I've actually gotten to a point where I'm so used to biking it (and I'm talkin' biCYCLE, not motorcycle) that it feels routine and driving feels weird or different.

For me, I intend it to be a shift from the car being the main method of transportation to the bike being the main method. Driving will become a once-in-a-while thing, maybe for special occasions, emergencies, carrying stuff, and so on. The commute to work is only 4 miles one-way.

car2back

I used to 2-5 days a week when I was still dispatching and lived close to work, sometimes I wish I could still do it, but then again my gas to, from, and while at work is paid for :cool:

bpckty1

Where do you live, how far is the ride, and if you are in Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Southern California, have you figured in the May, June, July, August, September, and early October factors? If not, you may reconsider the riding a bicycle to work, unless your office offers a shower and a laundry/dry cleaners.

;^>

This is in Florida, and right now we're in our usual dry season. That'll all change in about 2-3 months when it starts raining almost everyday at about 4:00 o'clock in the afternoon.

I'll most likely have to bring a change of clothes to work every day.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you go to New York or London you'll see bikes all over the place you bunch of SISSIES! And you, get a raincoat! Ah when I was a kid I walked miles to school in all kinds of weather and snow days? HAH! Still I walked and climbed over drifts, got splashed by cars and when I got there all soaking wet put my outer clothes on the steam radiator! Ah ya bunch of WIMPS, y'all otta be shot!

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
kb2vxa said:
If you go to New York or London you'll see bikes all over the place you bunch of SISSIES! And you, get a raincoat! Ah when I was a kid I walked miles to school in all kinds of weather and snow days? HAH! Still I walked and climbed over drifts, got splashed by cars and when I got there all soaking wet put my outer clothes on the steam radiator! Ah ya bunch of WIMPS, y'all otta be shot!
And you LIKED IT!

Shortwavewave

Im with warren on this one, I ride my bike 80% of the year, snow, rain, ice or 110degs it doesnt matter, i only take the car in exsess of 25miles, in a emrg., or shopping , I once rode to a computer store that was 17miles away, may not be much to some but for me it was, but now i can ride like a pro.

jeffy

bikes

I like bicycles Home boy. Took up riding again about 6 years ago. Initialy I was having a lot of problems with my hands going to sleep so I went to riding recumbents. I enjoy the heck out of'em! I currently ride a Rans Rocket but am in the process of buying a recumbent trike due to some balance issues I'm having.

http://www.recumbentbrothers.com/images/bikes/RANSRocket.jpg

jeff

K4DHR

I really would like to be in the position to ride a bike or small scooter to work every day when practical. Unfortunately, short of going into business for myself (one of my goals down the road), finding affordable and decent housing in distance of decent jobs is about next to impossible. Everything around here is either too expensive or puts you in a shoebox apartment that's only $100 a month less than what I'm paying on a mortgage.

If I could talk my wife into it, I'd move out of this area in a heartbeat. Gas prices have made the cost of living in the 'burbs not worth the hassle, when you factor in traffic and how little my pay has gone up in the past 2-3 years.

brandon

Database Admin
Wish I could do it but unfortunately the drive is 20 miles and NOT bicycle friendly. Anyway congrats on doing so and treat yourself to some new scanners with all the gas money you save :)

It's unfortunate that not everyone who wants to can ride a bicycle to work. Gas will never level off ever again, so it's only a matter of time before American (and other counties?) culture will change. People will live closer to work and every major road will convert 1-2 lanes into bike lanes. Bus service will improve. People will live healthier and there'll be less pollution, fewer accidents, and fewer people paying for car insurance, another huge ripoff.

Personally, I've been getting a lot of satisfaction in riding the bike past the gas stations in town.

Oh, yeah, make that 9 straight days now. :)

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Future forecasts

Homeboys-Scanna said:
It's unfortunate that not everyone who wants to can ride a bicycle to work. Gas will never level off ever again, so it's only a matter of time before American (and other counties?) culture will change. People will live closer to work and every major road will convert 1-2 lanes into bike lanes. Bus service will improve. People will live healthier and there'll be less pollution, fewer accidents, and fewer people paying for car insurance, another huge ripoff.

You forgot the part about everyone owning flying cars powered by solar cells. And there's no more road rage :)

I'd like to go back to my old job location where I rode my 350cc motorcycle 3 miles each way 9 months of the year. Now I drive 46 miles further each way :-(
But that job market is dead and shrinking. And moving is impossible.

It's better to have a job. Unemployment doesn't pay as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.