Rogers County P25

WG5Z

I'm rather curious about how this ended up in the media. I mean, none of us and, presumably, the media can listen. So, who is tattling on the Inola Chief and what do they expect to happen? The public isn't listening anymore. Nor can they. Handle your business on your private radio channel. Leave us out of it.
Allow me to address this situation to the best of my knowledge. To answer your question the Rogers County Sheriff released the tapes to the Northeast Oklahoma Enhance 911 Trust Authority along with the dispatch complaints. I do not know for sure if he or the TA released them to the media. It is most likely the sheriff did. There has been an ongoing acrimonious relationship between the RCS and the IPC. I have only been in the area for 4 years now so I don't know how far back it goes. It boils down to a culture clash. Inola is a town of about 1500. The chief has been here for some time and has a particular way of doing things that works for the department and the city. I have had a couple conversations with him in the last couple years. He is a very friendly fellow and will sit and talk with you for as long as you want. I am acquainted with the Sheriff but my conversations with him have been brief but cordial. I like both of them.

As to the issues over the radio situation. Inola dispatched the PD and FD out of the police station for many years. It worked very well. Never an issue to my knowledge. The chief runs a very laid back style of department. The RCSO a much more formal by the book operation naturally as it has many more officers and have procedures that need to be followed to maintain peak efficiency. Hence the culture clash. When Inola decided to join the OKWIN system, it was not a good mesh. The new procedure of 10-90 checks was something that did not happen with the Inola dispatchers and now having to do so it was an issue to the Chief. I have been told that one of the incidents that caused friction was when the IPC was on a call in the process of trying to talk down a person with a gun wanting to commit suicide. RC dispatch kept wanting to know his 90 status every 15 minutes. NOT a good time to keep being interrupted with radio traffic. If he ignored the radio they would call him on his cell. He reacted in a tense situation with communications that without knowing the situation make him look bad. The other was may have just been he was having a bad day and spouted off in an unprofessional manner.

The Sheriff thinks the Chief should be fired for lack of professionalism. The city is loyal to the Chief because after all he is content to stay in his job. Most small towns have a lot of turnover and it is difficult to find someone like him considering what the city can pay. One of the big issues the city has with the county it the city has a large turnover in officers. The city hires someone that usually has no prior LEO experience. The city then pays for them to go and get their CLEET certification. But whenever RCSO gets an opening they come and poach the Inola officers away and the town is on the hook to train another officer. There is a state law I have been told that if this happens within a certain time period, the county if required to reimburse the town. I was also told that the county drags their feet on these reimbursements. When the town inquires about the delays they get things like oh, we'll look into that and get back to you or the dog ate our checkbook. On a small town budget, this can be a real strain.

I believe the city should go back to doing their own dispatch. The Chief will be able to have a comm's system to his liking. There are also complaints from the FD. They say the coverage is really bad on the new system in this southern part of the county. It is an all volunteer department and many of them had purchased their own vhf radios so they could communicate as they were responding to calls. I don't know who if any of them can afford or are even allowed to have a trunked personal radio. They may only be in the official department vehicles. Since I obviously can't monitor the system now, it's a mystery. RCSO sitll dispatched the fire calls on the old vhf system to activate the pagers the vols have been carrying, but I hear no further communications after that. I assume it takes place on the 800 system after the dispatch. What I do not understand is the statement that if Inola leaves the WIN system they will loose their emergency 911 connection. That makes no sense to me. That would be very disconcerting to the citizens.

My apologies if this post put some of you to sleep.

WG5Z

Thanks for the correction. All this is new to me and I'm not yet clear as to who is on what system.

WG5Z

Good info, but the move was to BACRN and not OKWIN.
So I have gone through all the freqs. that were programmed into my scanner by using the zipcode method. Nearly all the trunking freqs. are labeled Oklahoma Wireless. None refer to BACRN. Maybe these freqs. are in there already, but without knowing what they are, I don't know if they are being scanned. What freqs. does BACRN use?

WG5Z

Thanks for the link. After a little more research, I was able to figure out how to manually add the BACRN system to my scanlist.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
You will have to use Search function on that system if you want to hear anything in the Rogers County area as the ID'S for them have not quite been totally figured out yet. Anything in the 1XXXX range will be Roger's County. With most if not all law enforcement being encrypted, Fire systems seem to be in the clear so far.

WG5Z

You will have to use Search function on that system if you want to hear anything in the Rogers County area as the ID'S for them have not quite been totally figured out yet. Anything in the 1XXXX range will be Roger's County. With most if not all law enforcement being encrypted, Fire systems seem to be in the clear so far.
If I understood the programming instructions correctly I created a "wildcard" TG that is supposed to pass any traffic not assigned a TG number already. We'll see what happens.

camelid

So I've been playing with my newest toy, a Uniden BCD546HP that'll do P25 P2 - newest scanner before that was a RadioShack Pro2096 - fine for OKWIN but BACRN not so much. *grin* Anyway I heard a fire dispatch from Inola today for a grass fire over north of 412 and it was in the clear on one of the old VHF frequencies, not sure which. Anyway apparently they're still dispatching some fire calls on VHF, maybe because of the issues with personal radios for the old freqs. I'm hand programming in some of the reported operating TGs on BACRN since the latest DB update didn't include any of the newer reported talkgroups being used up here in RC. (BTW I agree with the comments on the Inola police chief, he is a really nice guy, and I've been monitoring Inola for over 10 years and never heard anything rude. A few funnies but not rude. I spoke with one of the officers a few years back talking comms and she did mention the problem with lack of interop with RCSO - that was before I got a Retevis DMR handi that I could receive the old sheriff dispatch on 154.77 - but most ops were up around claremore or further north... only occasionally did I hear anything down Inola way. Still like I mentioned earlier, without the ability to hear what's going on locally a siren could mean anything or nothing... and for living out on the country I do hear a lot of sirens. I'm over by Inola Hill.

camelid

Thanks for the correction. All this is new to me and I'm not yet clear as to who is on what system.
Also while the rc sheriff was aware of the issues I think it was the 911 authority folks who complained to the other organizations about their issue with how their dispatcher was treated. I don’t have a solid understanding of who does exactly what for whom. When calling Tiawah fire to advise them of controlled burns in the past, I’ve had to occasionally wait while the same person was handling higher priority traffic on the radio.

WG5Z

So up until two or three weeks ago I would hear IFD still use the vhf system to tell dispatch they were in service and talk with each other about who might be going direct and when they arrived on scene. That has completely stopped now so I assume that is all taking place on the 800 sys. now. When I hear the alert tones go out on vhf I hear no traffic on BACRN so that tells me for sure that IFD is encrypted. Tiawah did get a callout on a grass fire Sat. and used the vhf system for some radio traffic.

I still have my questions about the IPD chief and who told what to who. I can't see a motive for the 911 auth. to call all the news stations in Tulsa and make it a three ring circus. Someone would have to have a personal vendetta against the chief to not want to keep this all in house. It was a deliberate attempt to embarrass the chief. Whoever did it, it was a bit of a dick move IMO.

WG5Z

I've been recording for a few days. Below is what I have heard and most the FDs I'd call nearly confirmed. I want a few more days worth of monitoring to figure out though... The 102xx I'm still trying to figure out their use, but I think they are the FDs paging TGs. Blanks are TGs I haven't identified, or rather have no clue.

10000​
Encrypted
10004​
Encrypted
10006​
OologahAddress to Oologah unit
10008​
Court?
10010​
Encrypted Jail?Tower can I get N/S gate.. / Booking traffic when in clear
10011​
10012​
Chelsea FD
10014​
Claremore FD
10021​
Foyil FD
10042​
Inola FD
10043​
10044​
Tiawah FD
10045​
Tri-District FD
10047​
Vertigris FD
10048​
10049​
EMS Dept?
10050​
10057​
10058​
10065​
?Test tones to Claremore FD
10066​
10069​
10078​
Vertigris FD Page
10216​
NW-District FD Page
10217​
10219​
10223​
Foyal FD Page?
10224​
10225​
10227​
Tiawah FD Page
10228​
Tri-District? Page
10229​
10230​
10231​
10232​
10233​
10236​
Just to update you on this list, I have been listening to TG 10042 and I don't believe this is IFD. I know the voices of the Inola vols. Also their self identifiers are FD1-FD... What I have been hearing on this TG are firefighters using numbers in the 300's as identifiers. I spoke with one of the guys on the fire dept. and he confirmed they are using encryption like the PD.

firechaser97

the news media aren’t going to be broadcasting much of rogers county anymore that’s for sure.

All Law enforcement agencies operate on encryption.
All Fire agencies are open and in the clear with some tac channels on encryption.

also Limestone Fire aren’t dispatched by city of collinsville anymore that was several years ago. they are dispatched by Rogers County on the OKWIN system. they use Motorola APX radios

WG5Z

Just to update you on this list, I have been listening to TG 10042 and I don't believe this is IFD. I know the voices of the Inola vols. Also their self identifiers are FD1-FD... What I have been hearing on this TG are firefighters using numbers in the 300's as identifiers. I spoke with one of the guys on the fire dept. and he confirmed they are using encryption like the PD.
I have confirmed that TG 10042 is Chelsea FD.

camelid

I have confirmed that TG 10042 is Chelsea FD.
Any idea on the Inola FD TG? Been monitoring 151.01 since they still dispatch fire and fire rescue calls there.

Also I had a nice conversation with a couple of Inola PD officers, and I inquired how the Harris radios were working. One of them said coverage was a bit spotty. It seems strange since they are, as far as I know, using the repeater site down by the lock and dam. That would be about 6 miles maybe? Not sure of the exact location. Maybe they’re using a more distant repeater site, but that would be dumb.
I can barely hit the Claremore repeater with the hills north of town, on 2 meters.

WG5Z

Any idea on the Inola FD TG? Been monitoring 151.01 since they still dispatch fire and fire rescue calls there.

Also I had a nice conversation with a couple of Inola PD officers, and I inquired how the Harris radios were working. One of them said coverage was a bit spotty. It seems strange since they are, as far as I know, using the repeater site down by the lock and dam. That would be about 6 miles maybe? Not sure of the exact location. Maybe they’re using a more distant repeater site, but that would be dumb.
I can barely hit the Claremore repeater with the hills north of town, on 2 meters.
There's no way to know. Inola FD/PD went encrypted when they switched to BACRIN. Maybe newer scanners than mine can ID TGs that are encrypted, but it's kind of useless info since there is nothing to hear. Inola FD still uses their old VHF analog system for dispatch and fireground com. because their volunters don't all have digital radios and use it sometimes for fireground ops because of coverage issues with BACRIN.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Have had discovery going for a couple weeks now. I must preface with really don't know how they have their rural FDs set up and who gets dispatched by who or if they are in area districts. Below is my best guess. They have changed the TGs around quite a bit from a few months ago and have seemed to dropped the page out TGs. (102xx.)

1670510547603.png

These TGs are all encrypted.

10000 - 25757 hits
10001 - 650 hits
10003 - 6 hits
10004 - 10455 hits
10006 - 19976 hits
10008 - 5 hits
10010 - 449 hits
10011 - 669 hits
10012 - 5 hits
10014 - 108 hits