Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

elephant

This may be trivial to some, but I found it interesting.

On Wednesday morning at 4:40 am, Tempe PD was using the Phoenix/Mesa system to do a roll call. They were calling all the surrounding departments to make sure they could be heard on the system. The talk group they used was 2852.

I was kind of surprised to hear all the agencies available on the Phoenix/Mesa system, that normally don't use it. Tempe initiated the roll call. Scottsdale, Surprise, Avondale, Tolleson and Chandler were just a few of the departments that answered.

The roll call reminded me of listening to the old NAWAS circuit that was in use back in the 70's when I lived in Nebraska.

Doug

SCPD

QRT
Yup, I have also heard this..pretty interesting hearing all the cities that are part of the system.. I had no idea that all the other cities were availible on it, though it was simply Phoenix and Mesa.

-Dylan

ICP737i

Just out of curiosity...what time did you hear this roll call happen? At a recent visit to Scottsdale PD's dispatch I got to see the talkgroup you're talking about in use...interesting stuff! It was used to relay information regarding a kidnapping. If I recall correctly, AZ DOJ either paid for the group or set it up... For whatever reason, DOJ is on the radio selection button.

SCPD

QRT
ICP737i said:
Just out of curiosity...what time did you hear this roll call happen? At a recent visit to Scottsdale PD's dispatch I got to see the talkgroup you're talking about in use...interesting stuff! It was used to relay information regarding a kidnapping. If I recall correctly, AZ DOJ either paid for the group or set it up... For whatever reason, DOJ is on the radio selection button.

Yeah, I also got to see the talkgroup in use. Seems like they do roll call on it about 3 times a day. And there is frequently information passed from one agency to another on it..

If anybody is listening right now - Phoenix air unit and Tempe units are working a stolen vehicle lowjack hit on the channel.

-Dylan

aagaard

Hi! I'm new to this forum, and also new to scanning. Do you mind if I ask you what you mean by "Roll Calling"?

Bob Aagaard

SCPD

QRT
aagaard said:
Hi! I'm new to this forum, and also new to scanning. Do you mind if I ask you what you mean by "Roll Calling"?

Bob Aagaard

Hi. Well this isn't really a normal thing that you would hear, just something thats done with this new digital system. Bascially what is heard, is Phoenix PD litterally doing a roll call of each agency in Maricopa County (From Avondale, to Scottsdale). What is usually heard is this:

PPD- Phoenix PD to Avondale PD.
APD- Avondale PD I hear you loud and clear.
PPD- 10-4 Avondale. Phoenix PD to Buckeye PD.
BPD- Buckeye PD, loud and clear....

and so on with each agency..

Hope that helps.

-Dylan

aagaard

Thanks Dylan!

I thought perhaps the term referred to taking a roll call of the officers on duty.

I have been trying to set up my new PRO-528 to listen to the Pima County SO, but I'm not having much success.

I believe they are operating an LTR Trunking system, with some modifications.

I even tried to set the scanner up to just scan the frequencies normally, but the high background noise on each frequency prevents the squelch from letting the thing move on.

Anyway, thanks again!

Bob Aagaard

Status
Not open for further replies.