Rome/Floyd County, Georgia

danwilk

I just got a BCD325P2 and I'm trying to program it for Rome/Floyd County, Georgia. I used the FreeScan software and automatically imported the settings from radioreference.com through the software. It is scanning, seeing SCAN ID going across the screen but I'm not hearing anything at all. I did notice the error attached when the programming was loaded into the scanner. I have also loaded the .996 file created by FreeScan. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• Freescan_Screenshot 2022-12-27 144834.png
    Freescan_Screenshot 2022-12-27 144834.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Floyd_County - Copy.txt
    14.2 KB · Views: 14

tvengr

Well Known Member
I am working on a Floyd County file for you. The scanner may be suffering from simulcast distortion. The site listed for Floyd County actually consists of 11 subsites all transmitting on the same frequency at the same time. The signals arrive at your scanner at slightly different times which degrades the scanner's ability to properly decode the control channel. That can result in missed transmissions, dropouts, and garbled audio or no audio at all. You can try turning on the attenuator. If you reduce the number of subsites received, it can improve control channel decoding. With simulcast systems, less signal is usually better. On the scanner display, if you have NFM showing instead of the control channel frequency or it alternates between the two, that is a typical symptom of simulcast distortion. The only scanners specifically designed to receive simulcast systems are the Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile. The Unication G4 and G5 pagers are also excellent.

danwilk

That is what I see on the screen. It will show the frequency and then go to NFM. It does pick up sporadically but not good at all.

danwilk

I am working on a Floyd County file for you. The scanner may be suffering from simulcast distortion. The site listed for Floyd County actually consists of 11 subsites all transmitting on the same frequency at the same time. The signals arrive at your scanner at slightly different times which degrades the scanner's ability to properly decode the control channel. That can result in missed transmissions, dropouts, and garbled audio or no audio at all. You can try turning on the attenuator. If you reduce the number of subsites received, it can improve control channel decoding. With simulcast systems, less signal is usually better. On the scanner display, if you have NFM showing instead of the control channel frequency or it alternates between the two, that is a typical symptom of simulcast distortion. The only scanners specifically designed to receive simulcast systems are the Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile. The Unication G4 and G5 pagers are also excellent.
Would you recommend swapping for the SDS100 for Floyd County?

tvengr

Well Known Member
It may be necessary. I'm getting close to completing the file. Let's see what happens with the file. If it doesn't work, a SDS100 will be in your future.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is the file. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with FreeSCAN and Upload Programming. Select Erase All Systems & Settings to clear what is already in scanner. Click on Start Upload. The 2 systems and the groups in the trunked system have quick keys. I am also including a PDF file which will answer all of your questions about using quick keys.

Attachments

• Floyd Co GA FS.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Uniden Scanner Quick Key Instructions DMA.pdf
    11 KB · Views: 9

danwilk

Here is the file. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with FreeSCAN and Upload Programming. Select Erase All Systems & Settings to clear what is already in scanner. Click on Start Upload. The 2 systems and the groups in the trunked system have quick keys. I am also including a PDF file which will answer all of your questions about using quick keys.
Thank You for the file. I uploaded and it seems to be picking up better now but I'm still seeing NFM most of the time on the screen. I did order a new antenna, not sure it will help, but I read where the OEM antennas are usually not good.

tvengr

Well Known Member
A better antenna will only help if you have a poor signal strength problem. If you presently have an adequate signal, more signal can be detrimental to reception when dealing with simulcast systems.