Roof mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvdxer

I have a Scanmaster antenna that has been sitting in our back hall sometime which I would like to mount. The best spot for it seems to be one of our roof gables. As it is not flat, a NPRM mount would not work, so a tripod-type setup (or even flat one) that safely penetrates the roof seems to be the best choice. Could anybody direct to me to such a roof mount, preferably an inexpensive one? Would an eave mount do the job in my situation?

kf4lne

it might, how big is the antenna, how high do you want to mount it above the roof and what surface area do you have for a mount. If you want to mount it a right on the peak of the roof you can probably get by with a simple bracket from Radio Shack and a foot of pipe for a mast or something like that.

LarrySC

Never nail anything into a roof. I use two (2) 10' sticks of mast. Push one at least 9" into the ground. Bolt mast to rain gutter or to sofit at about 9 - 10 above ground. This puts antenna 19' above ground at the center of antenna. There are several tricks to getting coax thru windows. This may not apply exactly for your needs but it's the best idea I seen for a regular one story house. Good Luck.

kf4lne

yeah, never bolt anything to the roof, it can and will leak and you really dont want that. If you mount it to the eve be sure to space the brackets far enough apart to handle the load your antenna will put on them.

gcgrotz

Google easy-up antenna

They make a variety of roof mounts, eve mounts, wall mounts etc.

Amateur Electronic Supply carries them but I found a few other dealers that were MUCH cheaper.

Warren Electronic Distributing was one. Also try Solid Signal.

If you have a chimney, that should be you first choice.

tvdxer

We have a two-story house. The peak of the roof is about 25' high, but the gable I want to mount it on is a bit lower.

The Scantenna (not Scanmaster, I messed up) is about ten feet in height, but very thin.

We do have a small chimney, but it's only about 10 feet away (or less) from overhead power cables that run over our driveway.

I figure I could mount it as I said as our WildBlue dish is up in such a manner.

kf4lne

Dont get it near the WB dish, that thing cranks out enough noise to kill weak signals. i know from experience, my WB dish is on the oppisite corner from my antennas and its still not far enough to satisfy me

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The tripod idea on the roof peak is just fine. Radio Slack and other outlets sell a 3 foot tripod for cheap that will easily support a 10 foot mast & antenna with no guying. I have such a setup and have had numerous others including 5 foot triods, long masts and heavier antennas.

Stuff gets bolted to/through roofs all time. That's one use for ROOFING TAR (quart can available at any hardware or Lowes ect..) Always use roofing tar or some other suitable sealant when attaching something through a roof or yes it will be suceptable to leaks. I use the tar, never had a leak. Apply the sealant both underneath the tripod legs and all over the top of them when done.

Do not use nails. Use course threaded heavy wood bolts. The type with a hex head that you will have to drive in with a socket & ratchet. Also available anywhere.

As always, for VHF & up, use high quality, low-loss, 100% shielded coax. Use coax sealant "putty tape" around the connector where the coax attaxhes to the antenna to keep rainwater out.

good luck

GrayWolfSA58

I bolted my 4 antennas to my roof just tar them good and every couple yrs retar them they will be fine

mancow

Database Admin
What about lightning protection?

I am still in the planning stages here. I can do it either way. I have a heavy duty tripod. Or, I can use my two pieces of 10 foot conduit and run that from the ground up to the roof line.

The tripod would be easier but I'm worried about not having any sort of path to ground.

kf4lne

Go but some copper ground wire from Lower or Home Depot or whatever supplier you have. it should be #6, it will be a thick and stiff wire, clamp that to your antenna mast and clamp the other end to the ground system of your house, if its close enough you can even run the wire to the conduit coming down to the electrical meter, needless to say if you choose this method you should BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!! However you ground it just be sure to connect all grounds together (per National Electric Code). There are many reasons to do this that have been posted in many other threads, so rather than repost it here i will simply say just do it.

tvdxer

kf4lne said:
Dont get it near the WB dish, that thing cranks out enough noise to kill weak signals. i know from experience, my WB dish is on the oppisite corner from my antennas and its still not far enough to satisfy me

Nice to see somebody else with WildBlue here.

My UHF TV antenna (used for TV DXing) is about 10 feet from the WB dish antenna, and I haven't really had any trouble with noise from it, at least not that I'm aware of. I also am currently using the antenna for my scanner, and while there are lots of "spurious" signals, I don't think they're actually from the dish or modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.