Rookie looking to broadcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj0321

Hello All,

I am looking to broadcast Montgomery County Police through RadioReference Broadcastify. I do see there is already an active feed MCPD. However, the feed does not cover all districts. I would like to cover all districts in my feed. What tools do I need to make this happen? As of right now, I plan on buying a digital trunking scanner. Any recommendations on possible models to get? Once I get the scanner and configured, what would be next steps on tying that scanner to a feed so other patrons can listen in?

thatoneiowan

Feed Provider
My setups are fairly basic... programmed scanner with an aux cord plugged into one end and the other end of the aux cord plugged into computer via microphone or line in. Then I use RadioFeed (which you can get here ProScan) to get the audio to the internet. I think all you have to do in RadioFeed is log into your RadioReference/Broadcastify account, select the feed in the drop down, and hit Stream. It was fairly simple.

dj0321

My setups are fairly basic... programmed scanner with an aux cord plugged into one end and the other end of the aux cord plugged into computer via microphone or line in. Then I use RadioFeed (which you can get here ProScan) to get the audio to the internet. I think all you have to do in RadioFeed is log into your RadioReference/Broadcastify account, select the feed in the drop down, and hit Stream. It was fairly simple.

Got it. Seems straightforward now to me. Can you recommend any decent Digital Trunking Scanners?

thatoneiowan

Feed Provider
I'm still new to the world of scanning myself. But I have a couple Uniden SDS200s for Simulcast reception and one Uniden Bearcat 996p2. It would help to know where you are located and what you are interested in listening to.

dj0321

I'm still new to the world of scanning myself. But I have a couple Uniden SDS200s for Simulcast reception and one Uniden Bearcat 996p2. It would help to know where you are located and what you are interested in listening to.

I am in Rockville, Maryland. I want to be able to listen to Montgomery County Police, Fire and Rescue, and maybe some other municipals nearby.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
You may want to limit the number of channels on your feed. Perhaps just feed what the other Montgomery County feed doesn't. When you have a lot of channels on a single feed your listeners will miss traffic on a channel they want to listen to because of activity on another channel.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I am in Rockville, Maryland. I want to be able to listen to Montgomery County Police, Fire and Rescue, and maybe some other municipals nearby.

Best suggestion is design your feed first, figure out the system, type of transmission (P25, P25 Phase 2, Motorola, NXDN, DMR, Simulcast, etc.), tower(s) you can hear, and talkgroups. Next you will need to figure out your budget for the feed (remember the scanner is most likely going to be dedicated to the feed and not general use), scanners will range from $150 to $1000, don't forget to include extras like scanner upgrades for DMR/NXDN (if needed), programming cable, audio cable to PC, programming software (if needed). Also, give consideration to what type of scanner antenna you want to use, indoor or outdoor. Finally, do you want to use a base model or handheld model, give some thought to how you want to use the scanner if you ever stop streaming a feed (which we hope never happens).

That will give you a better idea what scanner to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.